bumfluff

Please no raised weapon as default

RaulO4   

To answer you RaulO4, i never look on my keyboard when i play ArmA, maybe if i have to use a feature I normally dont use, which would be the GPS, but then.. I dont use it anyway..

ArmA gave me the option to bind my keys the way I want and the way I use it. I expected nothing more than that is going to be the case in Squad, including using a single key for multiple actions.

We both want the same, but I feel like you say it as its going to be a tough thing to implement, as if its going to be "P" on your keyboard..

At least a dev helped us out.

i answer your question with a story. this is how many PC player solve their issue.

we are in a Zombie world. one of our Squad mate gets bitten. There a Cure for the bite right over the table. it will go something like this

Me: guys lets try the cure... it only been a few seconds since he was bitten... it right there on the table

Guy 1: No we dont have time for that...hold him down, bring me the Axe

its all im saying, before we go to plan Z our last resort lets try plan A,B,C and so on before chop the mans arm off.

I think this is a great idea. Just because ARMA 3 makes it feel like your performing a complex surgery in order to lower/raise your weapon doesn't mean squad can't use common sense and make it easier.

What? Its one logical key in Arma 3, I think Arma 3 did a great job with that feature.

RaulO4   

What? Its one logical key in Arma 3, I think Arma 3 did a great job with that feature.

the only problem i have with arma doing it is how slow the animation is... if i a non pro, non experience, and noob can left and drop my weapon in less then a second. a Train Soldier should be able to do it.

i hope if it does get into Squad that the animation is a Smooth, Responsive, and quick action.

Elirah   

RaulO4, please be reasonable.

Your story was nice but not true.

We are not going to any plan right now, we actually make plans here, whichever plans get chosen is up to the devs.

You should also be careful with generalizing. Giving the choice to the people is always a good thing to do, dictating is only good if something could get abused.

RaulO4   

RaulO4, please be reasonable.

Your story was nice but not true.

We are not going to any plan right now, we actually make plans here, whichever plans get chosen is up to the devs.

You should also be careful with generalizing. Giving the choice to the people is always a good thing to do, dictating is only good if something could get abused.

its not  dictating, there are some that want it one way without first giving thought behind others or better option. simple because that is how its done in X game it should be done X way.

which my point is that X way is pretty much last resort... there are many ways to try before going to plan Z. at this point its already mute because the Devs already said they are looking at other plans before plan Z.

also pointed out that the best course is just give people the option to single bind/muti bind which in my view is the best way of course...its still being talk about but it does solves everyone issue... now the only problem is...

is it...looks only or should it effect gameplay.

im pretty much stand on the "No effects" stage. while other stand on it should.

there are some that want it one way without first giving thought behind others or better option. simple because that is how its done in X game it should be done X way.

Giving thought to others' opinion doesn't really apply here, else we'd never be able to suggest anything without people like you invalidating our preferences/suggestions/opinions of our own by throwing out "think of the others!" types of statements.

Giving an example of "X game does it X way" is exactly the logic that can be used to justify certain features...people like what they're going to like, and they like other games as well. There's no reason to dismiss a quality feature simply because it's in a different game. Furthermore, replace "game" with "real life", since that's what Squad is vaguely trying to replicate in the context of all out combat...and in real life, no one is running around with their weapons up at all times.

Yes, I understand your rebuttal will be "In real life, soldiers can't get shot an revived by a medic touching them with a bag in their hand...etc, etc" and we can all have a big roaring debate about gameplay vs realism and yadda yadda...but there is a significant demand for a gameplay mechanic that meshes well with plausible real life scenarios 

Rich8   

Talking about shooting position to low ready. Don't really see the point in video game design to add the low ready, but that's my opinion.

Why not have it as a purely optional thing you can map on your own in-game? And also have it not effect stamina/sway, just make it

something the players chose to use. Also, you could just make it a single key press. I know you can't make it like how it was in PR

because it's true first person, so I think having it optional would appeal to everyone. Also, you kinda have to admit, it does look goofy

with everyone aiming through their sights allll the time. I'm sure you guys will figure something out down the road if you chose to. I've been playing since the first weekend of Closed Alpha and it still looks a little off.

It's a video game not a virtual reality experience. It's done in most shooters for game play reasons. If it was toggled option, most people would just keep it the way it is to avoid any disadvantage associated with it. If it's purely a visual change instead and doesn't affect game play then maybe more people might use it, but I don't see the need to make this a priority at the moment.

Well, Squad is not the milsim. Even I am not a real soldier but an airsoft player. I can understand that no raised weapon as default is very reasonable. You can't always raise the gun. So I suggest, on standing stance, no cover or no flat platform to rest the weapon, we can set a kinda 30 secs to 1 min automatically lower the weapon.

The next thing, I do agree to set 2 different types of aim down sight speed for optic and iron sight(or not zooming red dot). In reality, transiting your sight on a target between your bare eye and through the Acog requires the sense of your hand when holding the gun, point it to a correct position as always.

What if you needed to hipfire? It can't really be automatic then if your weapon is lowered and facing the ground. If the weapon was lowered and facing forwards it would make more sense (but is it realistic?), but if the former is the case then you would need a button.

I'd say.... NEVER hipfire? lol. 

Hipfiring I think only comes into play if someone surprises you and your reaction is to press the trigger... if you get the kill, its mostly luck anyway.

I vote no. If you are not in a firefight you are running (holding shift) which in that case your weapon is down. When you encounter or have a feeling of encountering an enemy you stop running and of course, it automatically raises your weapon.

There's never going to be a time where you want to walk and have your weapon down.

there are PLENTY of situations I want my gun out of my face. PLENTY....

RaulO4   

after playing the game....the gun model is even that big.

at the point...a option for it is find. having it auto drop would be fine...pressing a button would be fine too...

never putting it in is also fine... as long whatever route they choose... it should have no effect in gameplay.

Elirah   

Please no automatic animations. At least for me it feels awkward and out of control. I guess most people dont like the word here anymore but its just not "immersive".

RaulO4   

Please no automatic animations. At least for me it feels awkward and out of control. I guess most people dont like the word here anymore but its just not "immersive".

American Army Proving Grounds does it fine. it never interfields with the gameplay and you still have your gun lower.

Now i get back into trying to fit Arma 3 control system into the Steam Controller. its almost done guys. Arma 3 will be playable without learning 100 keys, 

Melbo   

Arma 3 will be playable without learning 100 keys, 

Stahp this utter nonsense.

Keys needed to play A3 infantry effectively = 14

Keys needed to play Squad infantry effectively = 13

mastah4   

Remember that there are individuals here who say that 1-2 more keys for them to press is a big deal and results in the game becoming a milsim :D

I would love to have a dedicated key, maybe they could make an option for lowering it automatically after a short time if you don´t want an extra key(options are always good!)... I love the feature a lot in arma 3 and would def use a separate key for it

RaulO4   

let be fix this for you

Keys needed to play A3 infantry basic = 14, after the basic... learn the rest of your keyboard for your advance used. plus don't  forget your combo keys, double tap keys, and hold keys.

lets not forget...there the tank controls, driving controls, flying controls,...etc etc

plus the controls are spread out throughout the keyboard. from left to right.

please... im doing the controls right now as we speak. im seeing all the controls in front of me and im slowly have to break it down to fit smoothing into the steam controller.

in good news... im always done. i just need to get the basic stuff in like map, watch, compass, and etc. 

Melbo   

let be fix this for you

Keys needed to play A3 infantry basic = 14, after the basic... learn the rest of your keyboard for your advance used. plus don't  forget your combo keys, double tap keys, and hold keys.

please... im doing the controls right now as we speak. im seeing all the controls in front of me and im slowly have to break it down to fit smoothing into the steam controller.

in good news... im always done. i just need to get the basic stuff in like map, watch, compass, and etc. 

It's not rocket science to learn to double tap a key or hold a key for a modifier though. The amount of hate due to misunderstanding Arma gets on this forum is unreal.

Comparing Squad to Arma is pretty damn ridiculous anyway. Totally different style of games. If you're playing Arma like you're playing Squad then something is wrong.

Anyway, how are you finding the Steam controller? I need a new one as my old wired 360 pad has literally just given up the ghost and as it's Christmas I just might treat myself!

Dale   

This is the kind of thing that has no bearing on gameplay, to me it's a clutter device, this game should be about gameplay, that's the focus that I believe is most important.

I don't think lowering your weapon has any bearing on realism either because this game is striving to be realistic through communications and teamplay, I wouldn't put lowering and raising your weapon as a priority on this, the fact that you occasionally shoot your own guys would be more indicative that the fire rate cycling should include a safety catch incorporated.

So you would have single shot, automatic(or burst) and safe.

For me this game is the most about immersion and I myself love to have my weapon in lowered position while not in a firefight to get it up for the fight about to come. I know that this should not be a high priority at all but I would be really happy if they would implement it.

Free look should be a lot higher in the priority as a example :P

EDT: Maybe I should also explain that I really like to role play in this game.

The point of it for me is what it symbolizes. Having it up means you are ready. You can't be ready all the time. A bit more conscious effort to be ready for engagements. That <1/2 second extra to shoulder it will remove the twitchshooting occurrences.

Makes ambushed on patrols more fun and rewarding etc. You caught them off guard!

You won't keep it up all the time cause it will affect your sway is what I'm hoping.