Sign in to follow this  
chronic

New GPU advice. 980ti?

Ez.

Ive got £600 hard earnt cash for a new GPU.

Fury X or 980ti?

980ti seems like the sensible option at present.

I'm upgrading from x2 560ti. My cpu is 2500k at stock. 16gb DDR 3, two sets of x2 SSD in RAID 0. I use x2 24" monitors at 1080p.

Which 980ti is the card to go for in my price range. Should I consider something a little cheaper and upgrade my cpu cooler to OC that 2500k.

Is the Fury X worth looking at?

I do plan to jump upto 1440p in the first quarter of next year.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally i would go with the​ GTX980ti, it's one of the best GPUs money can buy. You won't regret.

I can only tell from my Gtx 970 SC. That Card is already a 1080p monster...i can imagine the 980ti destroys pretty much everything at 1080 and even higher res. I think you wont regret it

I literally just installed mine in an hour ago, it's beautiful. I'm playing at 2560 x 1440, 144Hz and all that flashy jazz. If you have the money and want a new GPU, do it. Exactly what I did and I'm really pleased with it so far and I've only touched SQUAD.

As for wait for Pascal.. it really isn't set in stone that it will be next year. I was thinking of waiting but.. I wanted it now. :P

god damnit im jealous. this 760 is doing alright, but.. i want to start pursuing the constant 60 FPS quest.

im on 980ti but rolling in 1080. smashed everything i thrown at it so far! 

I would really like to replace my 780TI and I am looking at the 980.  But, I think Im going to wait and go with Pascal when they release or see if there is much movement downward on the best of the best 980's.  The new memory setup for the Pascal is very very tempting to wait for.

I would really like to replace my 780TI and I am looking at the 980. But, I think Im going to wait and go with Pascal when they release or see if there is much movement downward on the best of the best 980's. The new memory setup for the Pascal is very very tempting to wait for.

link to an explanation of Pascal? this is all greek to me :/

I love my 970!! I'm sure that 980ti is awesome!!! Also with DSR enabled 1440 on my 1080 monitor is sweet!

Good luck!

Chappie

I had the very same question back in August. Only I went with the 980 because I do not use anything higher than 1080p. So if you're going to use higher resolutions (I don't have higher than a 1080p monitor), then get the Ti. If not, I'd go with the 980.

1440, yeah do it! 980 Ti will be a win.

980ti ftw

Ordered mine and will be installing it this Friday, can't wait.

The fury X might be useful if you plan to play on higher res like 3K or 4K as it has a badass memory brandwitch but I guess that even the 980ti is better at higher res.

Which brand are you considering for the 980ti?

Dual GTX 970 SLI without a doubt if you want the most raw power and performance for 1080/1440p.

970's SLI has

higher pixel rate,

higher texture rate,

higher bandwidth memory,

more l2 cache,

higher memory bus and more shader units.

The only drawback is that you'd have the issues of SLI etc.

But seeing you already had two cards and sli experience that wouldn't be a problem.

So I would overclock the cpu, get a liquid cooler for it and buy two 970's.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2935&gid2=2475&compare=geforce-gtx-980-ti-6gb-vs-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-sli

Remember need at least 850/1000 psu to run that..

MD

Dual GTX 970 SLI without a doubt if you want the most raw power and performance.

It is 22% better than a single GTX 980ti especially at the resolutions you will be playing.

The 970's in SLI have:

higher pixel rate,

higher texture rate,

higher bandwidth memory,

more l2 cache,

higher memory bus and more shader units.

For same or cheaper price?

The only drawback is that you'd have the issues of SLI etc.

But seeing you already had two cards and sli experience that wouldn't be a problem.

So I would overclock the cpu, get a liquid cooler for it and buy two 970's.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2935&gid2=2475&compare=geforce-gtx-980-ti-6gb-vs-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-sli

Remember need at least 750 psu to run that...

Recommend 1000 or 850 at least.

MD

Whats the point Having a sli if there is no official sli configuration yet...

Whats the point Having a sli if there is no official sli configuration yet...

Many people here with dual gpu's with working un-official custom configs for SLI and crossfire for Squad I believe I seen a couple of posts.

Either way it's just so much more powerful then a single 980ti for the same price. (10 euro difference) so just showing that...

And it's just a matter of time before sli... crossfire..dx12 start to work stable and without issues for Unreal Engine 4+

So why not buy them for 25 percent more raw power and way better performance in 1080/1440 like poster said he will be playing at considering he already had a sli config. 

If don't want to go sli... I would just buy a 970 and wait for next generation of gpu's more then fine for 1440p prob.

Many people here with dual gpu's with working un-official custom configs for SLI and crossfire for Squad I believe I seen a couple of posts.

Either way it's just so much more powerful then a single 980ti for the same price. (10 euro difference) so just showing that...

And it's just a matter of time before sli... crossfire..dx12 start to work stable and without issues for Unreal Engine 4+

So why not buy them for 25 percent more raw power and way better performance in 1080/1440 like poster said he will be playing at.

Couldn't you tells me that before I bought my zotac gtx 980ti amp extrem edition ? xD

Couldn't you tells me that before I bought my zotac gtx 980ti amp extrem edition ? xD

To be honest I just looked it up for the poster :) I had no clue, was a little amazed to see how dual 970's fair against that 980ti beast still . . Nice card either way... just stating specs. :P

To be honest I just looked it up for the poster :) I had no clue, was a little amazed to see how dual 970's fair against that 980ti beast still . . Nice card either way... just stating specs. :P

Yeah especially when I'll OC it to 1450/8100 but I guess I wouldn't need to do it in order to get 60fps/ 1080p