The Algerian

More Stances - (ARMA3 style)

Hi.

I think the game could really use a few more stances, like it's done on Arma 3.

You can find yourself pretty often needing to aim through a hole, a window, between two plywoods or anything but you can't because crouch is too low and standing up is too high.

Assifuah   

If you want more stances I would recommend something DUST did - a smooth transition between stances so that you can decide the right level of height etc. So, instead of it being rigid like ARMA 3 - which is basically set positions and a nifty little animation in-between - you would be able to just adjust it with the key yourself. This way you don't have as much of a change getting wrecked mid animation and can determine your own elevation or angle.

Either way, I like the way it is right now. Less bullshit keys and adjustments to screw with and more shooting and getting blown up. It's hard enough to spot enemies in built up areas and dense vegetation.. imagine what it would be like if I could squeeze myself into weird positions that would require extremely accurate collision meshes to hit me within.

Melbo   

Personally I would love to see some way of slightly adjusting your stance. There's been numerous times I've had to do some sort of strange lean and crouch combination to try and get a shot off through a window frame etc and even then half the time the round just hits the object I'm trying to shoot past. 

Careful though. Expect the "OMG TOO MANY KEYS TO PRESS" gang to turn up and throw their weight around.

If you want more stances I would recommend something DUST did - a smooth transition between stances so that you can decide the right level of height etc. So, instead of it being rigid like ARMA 3 - which is basically set positions and a nifty little animation in-between - you would be able to just adjust it with the key yourself. This way you don't have as much of a change getting wrecked mid animation and can determine your own elevation or angle.

ArmA 3 was just the only example I could think of, I never meant the suggestion was to make it exactly like ArmA 3.

Either way, I like the way it is right now. Less bullshit keys and adjustments to screw with and more shooting and getting blown up. It's hard enough to spot enemies in built up areas and dense vegetation.. imagine what it would be like if I could squeeze myself into weird positions that would require extremely accurate collision meshes to hit me within.

Things is, that way it would be less based on luck. If a guy kills you because he "squeezed himself into a weird position", that just means he went to extra mile to be in a better position.

Right now, if I try to shoot at someone from a window, sometimes I just can't aim at him because the terrain is too low or too high for me to aim through it but he can get me just because his side of the terrain happens to be more advantageous.

Assifuah   

ArmA 3 was just the only example I could think of, I never meant the suggestion was to make it exactly like ArmA 3.

Things is, that way it would be less based on luck. If a guy kills you because he "squeezed himself into a weird position", that just means he went to extra mile to be in a better position.

Right now, if I try to shoot at someone from a window, sometimes I just can't aim at him because the terrain is too low or too high for me to aim through it but he can get me just because his side of the terrain happens to be more advantageous.

Yeah, fair enough. That's why I suggested a different example.

Hm, well if his terrain happens to be more advantageous then clearly he went the extra mile to be in a better position as well then! Sometimes you have to think of what the best positioning or action to take within the game is instead of what it would be in real life. But yeah, I totally understand. Cheese grater building is a prime example of something that's impossible to hit (providing you're under fire and trying to be within cover) but easy to shoot out of.

Mitsu   

What you also could do is use the mouse wheel instead. One button will be asigned to get behind cover and with mouse wheel up or down you could adjust your stance.  That seems okay for me. Easy enough in terms of controls while still giving you the chance to slowly raise your head above the sandbags for instance. There would be an animation state for fully behind cover and completely out of cover and the mouse wheel could just control in which segment of the animation you're on. I have no idea how animations work though, just guessing thats how it could work. What you think?

Zeno965   

what i would like to see is a system that enable collisionmesh for the gun, so when you aim through a window or over a wall the gun would not clip into the wall, but rather the soldier model adjust his height to shoot over the ledge.

Hm, well if his terrain happens to be more advantageous then clearly he went the extra mile to be in a better position as well then! 

Let's be serious here.

In these occurences, it's more often than not a question of luck, nobody goes out of their way to examine each inches of a terrain's levelling to make sure it will perfectly fit any of the current stances.

What you also could do is use the mouse wheel instead. One button will be asigned to get behind cover and with mouse wheel up or down you could adjust your stance.  That seems okay for me. Easy enough in terms of controls while still giving you the chance to slowly raise your head above the sandbags for instance. There would be an animation state for fully behind cover and completely out of cover and the mouse wheel could just control in which segment of the animation you're on. I have no idea how animations work though, just guessing thats how it could work. What you think?

I do like the idea.

Careful though. Expect the "OMG TOO MANY KEYS TO PRESS" gang to turn up and throw their weight around.

Exactly. But if there is a away just think out of the box. What if we just forget the keyboard entirely and take one of those MMO mouses acting like another keyboard, much more freedom. ;)

Assifuah   

Let's be serious here.

In these occurences, it's more often than not a question of luck, nobody goes out of their way to examine each inches of a terrain's levelling to make sure it will perfectly fit any of the current stances.

I am serious. Why would I position myself in a location that leaves me exposed when I fully know that without additional stances I'm an easy target? Get your head down and move slow. Works much better in SQUAD right now than trying to crest while prone or edging over the top of it while crouching.

No amount of stances is going to change the fact that there's going to be people who utilize cover and terrain more efficiently than others.

I do want a lower weapon key though. Major derail.

LugNut   

No thanks to the keybind meta game. The myriad of stances are very cool and everytime I stop playing arma and then come back a few months later, I've forgotten them all and end up happily using just the basics. All we need is a scroll wheel height adjustment and incremental lean, it would solve 90% of those just out of reach positions.

Tie both of those to track ir, and it would be seamless and intuitive.

Hokunin   

You don't want to make SQUAD an identical ArmA3 clone, do you? It would make no sense. ArmA 3 is already out there, for buttons masochists. Squad should be different, easy to play as BF2PR.

Mitsu   

Way not just the arrow key up and down to adjust your weight?

I'm sure you meant height (altitude) not weight (poids) right? I dont speak good french but I know what you mean  :D 

Anyway I think arrow keys are hard to reach in some situation. I still think mousewheel is the way to go.

I'm sure you meant height (altitude) not weight (poids) right? I dont speak good french but I know what you mean :D

Anyway I think arrow keys are hard to reach in some situation. I still think mousewheel is the way to go.

Yeah sorry , of course I meant Height :).

Yeah maybe use your scroll wheel while keeping pressed, when it's not pressed you use your scroll wheel to change equipment

MilosV   

You could look at what keys on the keyboard are not being used (and wont be used in the future), for example "Y" or anythin easily reachable, then while holding that key you can use your mousewheel to adjust stance. The reason why it shouldn't be JUST the mousewheel is because  in the future they will (if thats what they are going for) introduce the mousewheel weapon selection like the one in Project Reality because its simply much better than the keyboard selection. 

I guess the "OMG ARMA 3 IS SOO MISUNDERSTOOD BRUH DEEP IN ITS CORE ITS ACTUALY SO INNOVATIVE AND GUD" gang already showed up.

what i would like to see is a system that enable collisionmesh for the gun, so when you aim through a window or over a wall the gun would not clip into the wall, but rather the soldier model adjust his height to shoot over the ledge.

That would kind of fix most of the problem.

It could work with a Red Orchestra 2-like cover system.

You don't want to make SQUAD an identical ArmA3 clone, do you? It would make no sense. ArmA 3 is already out there, for buttons masochists. Squad should be different, easy to play as BF2PR.

It's already an identical Doom identical clone, if I follow your "logic". Being an FPS.

Also a "Call of Duty" identical clone, with the iron sights and all.