Sign in to follow this  
VaelinAlSorna

How is the game compared to BF2:PR?

Hey folks,

I've played Project Reality for many years (stopped like 1,5 years ago or something, the graphics was just getting too old and update progress was basically on hold) and discovered this game a while ago (and was lucky enough to get a Riflemen edition on the last day). From the descriptions this game looks pretty similarly, which - if true- would be awesome. Till today I sadly haven't found a game that surpassed the gameplay of PR.

Can any of the guys with early Alpha access comment on this? Apart from the general "feel" compared to PR, I would be especially interested in things related to base buildings (like setting up FOBs and stuff. Is this possible in Squad? Loved building/fortifying in PR), kit restrictions (so there are no 20 snipers on the same team...), the setup of squads (like is there a command structure in place?) and anything communication related (like PR had positional audio via Mumble and squadleaders / commanders were able to talk in a separate channel, etc.).

Thanks in advance, I hope this game is going to be great :)

edit: Are there any PC specs released yet? Am I going to be fine with a i5 and a R9 390?

edit2: For oldschool PR player: Does Squad have any kind of deviation system for the guns, so that you'll have to let it settle for a few seconds after sprinting?

The best information that I could give you is to look at videos online or play the game yourself. I've personally seen PR blokes trash talk this game and I've seen PR blokes praise it for all it's worth.

think of it right now as a simplified PR as its still in alpha. when you get to play this game you will see the potential and know that one day this will be the game of all the PR vets' wet dreams

Hi, current long time PR player and early acces squad player here.

General feel: Reminds a little of a much slower movement Insurgency (game) in the sense that you can aim really fast and super accurately, move around very responsively and LEAN.

Base building: You can build a crazy huge base if you like but unlike PR that needs 2 crates to build a certain max amount of deployables, you will need construction points. Currently, since there are no supply vehicles, the construction points regenerate, giving you infinite resources to build castles and stuff, in the future will require supplies to build. Also, like in PR, building bases is a waste of time and effort in most cases (as there is currently no HMG or TOW) but in insurgency mode and some specific flags it is useful to barricade enterances and windows with deployables.

Kit selections: Limited within squad and within team to a certain amount. Meaning that if one day there will be an expensive HAT kit developed, it will probably be very limited within the team and you cant farm kits as far as I know.

Command structure: I think that someone said somewhere that it is likely that a commander could be a thing in the future. Currently sq leaders and their cooperation.

Communication: Like PR - local and squad + a channel for sq leaders (currently only sq leader to all other squads)

R9 390, i5: Should be able to run in high/epic im guessing. Im running medium on i7 and r9 280x (fools road at low med, other maps high to get around 50 fps)

you should be back to playing PR in the first place...

Might give it a go again ;-) Any of the "old" people still around? NwA, Merc, OD-S, ...?

Hi, current long time PR player and early acces squad player here.

General feel: Reminds a little of a much slower movement Insurgency (game) in the sense that you can aim really fast and super accurately, move around very responsively and LEAN.

Base building: You can build a crazy huge base if you like but unlike PR that needs 2 crates to build a certain max amount of deployables, you will need construction points. Currently, since there are no supply vehicles, the construction points regenerate, giving you infinite resources to build castles and stuff, in the future will require supplies to build. Also, like in PR, building bases is a waste of time and effort in most cases (as there is currently no HMG or TOW) but in insurgency mode and some specific flags it is useful to barricade enterances and windows with deployables.

Kit selections: Limited within squad and within team to a certain amount. Meaning that if one day there will be an expensive HAT kit developed, it will probably be very limited within the team and you cant farm kits as far as I know.

Command structure: I think that someone said somewhere that it is likely that a commander could be a thing in the future. Currently sq leaders and their cooperation.

Communication: Like PR - local and squad + a channel for sq leaders (currently only sq leader to all other squads)

R9 390, i5: Should be able to run in high/epic im guessing. Im running medium on i7 and r9 280x (fools road at low med, other maps high to get around 50 fps)

Thanks, sound good. 

So I guess vehicles aren't in yet? So no CAS? :(

Awesome that there's going to be a supply system though.

pretty much only chill on the =HOG= Server,
And an i5 and R9 390 will be more then enough,
AMD cpus are having some issues right now but should get better over time.

I didn't hear about PR until I saw posts about this game. I tried out PR and the game was alright gameplay wise but the graphics sucked and it was really hard to see anything. In Squad the gameplay is very similiar but more realistic feeling. Sometimes it is still hard to see people but now it is because of concealment and not just because of blurry graphics.

I loved PR but felt it was time to move on. Squad even at this stage has fully replaced it already for me since i usually played INF anyway. And i get hyped when every new little feature gets released - its nice to see this game grow :)

If u miss vehicles u might want to stay with PR for now. But if youre INF like me then jump on board already.

As a Project Reality veteran, Squad is the next generation Project Reality at 1 percent ;).

Team play is great, leading a squad is too, building is even better and everything is tight and pr like.

No worries there :) the devs are all hardcore pr vets and lovers.

Unreal Engine is ... something else... really next gen quality. Especially the bullet impacts, sound work stand out already. The explosions etc. The overall atmosphere puts you there in the fight. Scared to look around the corner. It's real! :)

PR's graphics are way more clean and crispy then Unreal Engine at the moment especially at long distances but that is just all the effects that make everything so .... blurry and foggy. Different engine. It has nothing to add and I would like to see the devs remove all that junk extra effects that hog resources and get that clean PR look in the game. Especially at long distances. Like in Project Reality you see players moving at 500 meters. I love PR's graphics still. Of course I run it fully maxed out and AF on 8x. Then it really looks tight.

On that deviation... of course they are working on all of that stuff man :) Patience :)

You should be able to run it decently I have similar system (fx 9590 r9 280) and can run everything maxed out 1920x1080 on epic @ 30-60fps on Directx11.

^^ at DX11?

i wonder.. what version are they using because i know that 4.9 has DX12.

There is a dx12 flag too but I don't know if it's officially supported yet

now that i want to know...i want to see DX12 in action for once XD. maybe a Devs can answer it. maybe it will be activated later on

This game is better than pr in my opinion in all aspects. Graphical, realism, fun, and team play. The only thing I don't like is that it takes a full make sometimes to kill someone. In Pr one well placed shot could do it. In squad it takes two svd shots to kill someone. :(. Other than that , good game by far.

I didn't hear about PR until I saw posts about this game. I tried out PR and the game was alright gameplay wise but the graphics sucked and it was really hard to see anything. In Squad the gameplay is very similiar but more realistic feeling. Sometimes it is still hard to see people but now it is because of concealment and not just because of blurry graphics.

That's because PR is on a 10year old game engine

Many Devs of Squad worked at some point for PR. There are still people left developing PR and it's not that the team shifted as a whole. There are also a few Squad Devs that have not worked on PR before :)

SQUAD will eventually be everything PR was / is just in a newer engine.

Even with the game missing many of my favorite PR mechanics I'd still play SQUAD any day of the week over PR simply because it runs better on new systems where as PR suffers.

SQUAD will eventually be everything PR was / is just in a newer engine.

Somewhat true. Squad's going to be all PR was + more + it's own unique experience hopefully, in the end.

This game is better than pr in my opinion in all aspects. Graphical, realism, fun, and team play. The only thing I don't like is that it takes a full make sometimes to kill someone. In Pr one well placed shot could do it. In squad it takes two svd shots to kill someone. :(. Other than that , good game by far.

I strongly disagree with this statement. In my experience it takes way less shots to kill people in squad. SVD one hits people a lot of the times in squad, in PR it has to be a headshot or 2 shots with svd. Any gun kills much faster and with less bullets in squad in my experience.

Edit: main problem with shooting atm is that a lot of the times when i shoot a guy and see him die, he will still shoot back at me after he is dead on my screen. I guess that on his screen he died later or something. So it is common that 2 guys shooting at each other will result in both dying. It can't be a bullet travel thing since it also happens close range.