Sign in to follow this  
Rayyaan

User Loadouts Per Class

Custom Named Loadouts For Each Class

'Loadouts' are a core component of FPS genre (for the sake of variety); even if they are not editable or customisable by players.

Loadout features of 'similar games' (personal opinions):

• Insurgency (Loadouts can't be named, can't be saved, despite a nice choice of equipment per class)
  • Project Reality (Loadouts can't be named, can't be saved, come in options which are hard to distinguish due to minute icons on the spawn screen and some loadouts don't even have the barely readable icons - non spawnable kits)
  • ArmA series (Confusing, slow, irresponsive but detailed)

Squad could hopefully bring a loadout system combining the best features and learning from the mistakes of other games.

Loadouts are often associated with tier/ranking/unlockable system but these don't have to be neccessary for a user friendly experience.

What Makes A Good 'Basic'/Game Ready  Loadout?

These are only my opinions. I'm not saying they are correct or the best.

• Default Equipment (even if not customisable)
  • Being able to give it a custom name and save it and also revert it to the default name (user friendly)
  • Being able to recognise what the class contains without relying on tiny icons (some of which may be duplicated and a great and horrible example of this might be IIRC; PR's Iraqi insurgent faction's IED class with very different IEDs - being unable to tell which is more Mortar and which is a mine both made for very different purposes)
  • Basic Weapon Customisation (Iron sight or scope, without mentioning pay 2 win ideas or unlockables)
  • Basic Weapon Selection (Full length or Carbine version, new version or old version or calibre or similar expected weapons for faction class)
  • Saveable customisation and selection features which can be given custom names or default names based on the class
  • Restricted Weapon Access (not all classes being able to carry and use every and any weapon)

What Makes A Good 'Advanced' Loadout?

• Customisable equipment slots (needing more field dressings or more grenades?)
  • Equipment weight system impacting Stamina, movement and accuracy
  • Customisable or Selectable Apparell/Clothing/Armour/Fatigues (This may include civvie clothes, different cammoflague schemes/patterns/designs, Armour schemes, Head armour schemes)
  • An expansive customisation of weapon features (Barrel mounted torches, bi-pods, bayonets and so on)

There's obviously many more considerations and options and arguements or balances but I only intend this thread as an inspiration for the developers (hopefully) which has been born out of frustration with FPS loadout schemes.

Other Considerations

• Team/Squad/Clan/Guild/Community 'patches' on equipment - possibly a source of development revenue without subscribed or pay 2 win features
  • Some customisable or selectable apparell/Clothing/Fatigues might not effect gameplay and therefore it is a wasted effort - but it could also a be a source of development revenue without sunscrined or pay 2 win features.
  • Customisable in game character/person/avatars -  might not effect gameplay and therefore it is a wasted effort - but it could also a be a source of development revenue without sunscrined or pay 2 win features.

I know little about game design but just wanted to share experience of FPS gaming over a duration of 13 years (too much gaming).

• "Customisable or Selectable Apparell/Clothing/Armour/Fatigues (This may include civvie clothes, different cammoflague schemes/patterns/designs, Armour schemes, Head armour schemes)"

This would only be applicable to Insurgents and non-conventional armies, since in the vast majority of modern ones these things are standardised. Having these vary by a wide margin within a given faction can also play hell with IFF.

• "Customisable or Selectable Apparell/Clothing/Armour/Fatigues (This may include civvie clothes, different cammoflague schemes/patterns/designs, Armour schemes, Head armour schemes)"

This would only be applicable to Insurgents and non-conventional armies, since in the vast majority of modern ones these things are standardised. Having these vary by a wide margin within a given faction can also play hell with IFF.

Indeed, IFF issue comes into the game in another way too for newcomers to games who don't have previous interest in military.