kris

Arma 2 still worth it?

All in topic realy, tought i give Arma a try but doubt my sytem can handle Arma 3 until i get a new Grapich card.

No, unless you want to play DayZ 

Also, Arma 2 is not optimized, so you might even not be able to play it properly. 

Yeah, if you know what you want out of it. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who still play things like Wasteland and Takistan Life. I haven't played ARMA 2 for a long time though. :D

To be honest, not sure if your system can handle ArmA 2 then, as it's nearly as optimized as ArmA 3 in my experience.

Most of the ArmA bottlenecking also originates in CPU, rather than GPU from my past experiences, especially ArmA 2 wise.

It also depends what you want to do with it, Singleplayer wise it sure is still worth it, Multiplayer stuff seems to have transformed over to Arma 3 quite a lot, most of the DayZ type mods and game modes. But I haven't checked in quite a while and looking at Gametracker there still seem to be at least some "Wasteland" and "XYZ Life" servers up and populated.

I still love grabbing some friends and playing the Epoch mod.

can be a lot of casual, silly fun if youve got the right group of people. (but also serious and heart pumping, getting into firefights w people w your friends on servers)

Depends, what are you looking for? SP, PvP, CooP?

Arma 2 is still good game, and for me better looking and optimized then Arma 3. They fucked up Arma 3 in many ways.

If you are going for SP, go for it, story is not bad, DLC's are worth the pay. And many story mods to find on armaholic.

PvP and CooP, cannot say, but I believe that there will be always some server up.

Thx for reply all, i bought the damn thing off steam, kinda cheap right now anyway, its mostly for SP stuff anyway :)

Deleted it long time ago, when The Wrecking Crew shut their server down, it was a waste of HDD space after that. But in TWC days it was wicked fun. Now deleted Arma 3 aswell, with all that fantasy stuff no good for nothing, runs like crap, clunky controls, nothing new basicly, it was just a step backwards. ArmA 4 and lightsabers? No thanks, I'll pass.

I still love grabbing some friends and playing the Epoch mod.

can be a lot of casual, silly fun if youve got the right group of people. (but also serious and heart pumping, getting into firefights w people w your friends on servers)

Yep u can still have fun with arma 2.

A lot of the milsim/realism community has shifted over to ArmA 3 since the release of the ACE3 mod.

Only good ArmA 2 is good for is nostalgia reasons or the good old DayZ mods, which are still more populated than ArmA 3 DayZ mods(apart from A3 Breaking point) 

I would say, rather go with Arma 3, you can freely download the chenarus and takistan "maps" and the game is far less "clunky" and performs better than Arma 2.

Well after a few hours of tweaking i got Arma 3 to run pretty good, actually having a blast with DUWS atm :)

Now i just got to get my head around the editor so i can port that to a winter map :ph34r: :ph34r:

Well after a few hours of tweaking i got Arma 3 to run pretty good, actually having a blast with DUWS atm :)

Now i just got to get my head around the editor so i can port that to a winter map :ph34r: :ph34r:

Get the AiA TP mod, All ArmA II maps ported over to be compatible with ArmA III

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26682

If you want a more realistic mil/sim type feel, then Arma 2 OA & the dlc's, is the only way to go. There again, its the real deal if your playing using KAI (ai) conversion mod. Then your in a different game altogether, coop got very serious around two years ago, when they introduced this mod.

Arma 3 is for the mainstream, that's the way our group view the 'new direction' of the arma series. If your in a mil/sim group and like really realistic game-play (not playing generals or ranks, but just very realistic team based gameplay), grab arma 2 combined arms and get yourself into the KAI community, mod makers are on YT if you want details.

See you there.

;)

If you want a more realistic mil/sim type feel, then Arma 2 OA & the dlc's, is the only way to go. There again, its the real deal if your playing using KAI (ai) conversion mod. Then your in a different game altogether, coop got very serious around two years ago, when they introduced this mod.

Arma 3 is for the mainstream, that's the way our group view the 'new direction' of the arma series. If your in a mil/sim group and like really realistic game-play (not playing generals or ranks, but just very realistic team based gameplay), grab arma 2 combined arms and get yourself into the KAI community, mod makers are on YT if you want details.

See you there.

;)

Well, im having enough probs in squad atm, keep dying cause of my silly BF gamestyle, ill have a look at it when i manage to calm down and not run around like a drunk pig, hehe.

Thx.

A lot of units still stick to arma 2 for coop because the arma 3 ai is retarded on easy and anything about normal they become headshotting extraordinaires with xray vision, that will spot you through a forest. Not to mention arma 3 is using the same engine from the orignal game, making it horribly unoptimized in multiplayer outside of TVT scenarios. Arma 2 may have clunkier movement but it does have much more vanilla content and proven mods like ACRE and ACE (arma 3 RHS/ACE/ACRE/TFAR is a joke). Arma 3 will have the same development cycle as 2, only worth picking up when they actually complete it and it has all the content in one package. The arma 3 dev team is from another planet though, it took them 2 years to have a proper bipod system and they still can't get stamina right. Sure arma 2 has its fair share of bugs but it's actually a complete game with years of mods, scripts and gamemodes that arma 3 just doesnt have yet.