Spookyz

Jets in the future?

Next time you exchange a friendly argument, make sure you two leave personal attacks and insults out.

Some nice view to look at,  maybe possible to take this technical engine.
It can be nice to integrate this in SQ :)

On 12/10/2015 at 12:30 AM, Z-trooper said:

- transport helicopters for sure

- attack helicopters 99.9% sure

- ground attack fixed wing aircraft... highly dependent on how well the game does in terms of sales, but not an unimaginable stretch of the imagination

- fighters and air superiority fighters.....  we need the game to really take off for that to happen

All of the above is something we would all love to see. Unless we have Doc Brown on hand to answer a few questions, I can't tell what will happen at this point.

Z-Troopers post from a couple years ago states that ground attack aircraft being introduced into the game would be largely based on sales. That seems to suggest that the devs felt it was technologically feasible as long as the financial resources were there & if that's the case it should be a strong possibility based on how well the game has done. I wish we could get an update on the progress of flight physics/aircraft development because I'm getting tired of listening to naysayers telling us it cant be done/it's not going to be done. I'm no developer (so please feel free to correct any technical/info errors) but can anyone please explain how Project Reality's Refractor 2 (?) engine (surely ancient by today's standards) can run fixed wing aircraft but much newer & more capable (by most accounts) engines like Unreal & CryEngine can't ? From what I've read map size & view distance are the two major issues. At the time PR was developed the aircraft maps were about as large as they could be & still have the average gamer's system be able to run them but about as small as you could have & still practically support aircraft. Constant circling & having to bank hard immediately after each strafing run etc. But with practice pilots got used to it & even good at it. It was a little cramped but still easily worth the effort to have them in the game as it simply isn't the same without them. Surely with these newer engines & optimization we should be able to run maps the size of PR's largest maps or slightly larger ? They don't have to be the size of Arma maps in order to have good aircraft game play. I really don't understand how view distance works. All I know is what I see in game. From what I understand the resources required to render all the objects that you see in game especially when  traveling at aircraft speed is hugely demanding on systems. This is why the "fog effect" is implemented in some games to obscure objects in the far distance in order to keep your system from having to render so many objects simultaneously ? Even if there were simply no other way to integrate aircraft into squad than to implement this "fog effect" system, I for one would be willing to accept that trade off. Of course it would be nice if we didn't have to have it but we shouldn't let it keep us from having aircraft in the game. I mean what am I missing here ? Between the advances in hardware/software technology, programmer skills/techniques & the quality/power of the average gamers rig over the last 10 years, shouldn't it be possible for us to accomplish what a game developed over 10 years ago accomplished ? Just sayin

Edited by Sgt_Dogface

@Sgt_Dogface

There are no technical or performance limitations to my knowledge that would stop jets being put in like they were in PR. The highly qualified responses from the devs that we've seen (in this thread and others that I have not been able to dig up :( ) just meant that they were hesitant to put them in Squad using the current map sizes, for gameplay reasons. 

It would be cool if they could get high fidelity surrounding terrain and origin rebasing working nicely (to combat any vertex wobble) that would mean we could have 4x4 or 8x8km battles for the infantry, but aircraft could have more space like 12x12 or larger for dogfights, proper refuelling/rearming runs etc. That would be pretty darn cool

Edit: and given how hush the devs have been on the forums and reddit since 2016 regarding fixed wing aircraft, we may be in for a pleasant surprise in 2018... but I wouldn't hold my breath, personally. 

Edited by Psyrus

From my understanding jets and not planed but are on the table, this game is not meant to be project reality, its supposed to focus on infantry  warfare 

15 hours ago, thenetwork473 said:

From my understanding jets and not planed but are on the table, this game is not meant to be project reality, its supposed to focus on infantry  warfare 

It's supposed to be all-out combined warfare with vehicles, infantry and air assets, not just infantry.

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, thenetwork473 said:

This sounds like vile obscene heresy for a project reality gamer and initial backer who was lured in by insinuation of Squad being a PR next gen.

PS. haven't played Squad for months ...or maybe year? Cuz still waiting for promised Jets

Edited by Banned

1 hour ago, Banned said:

This sounds like vile obscene heresy for a project reality gamer and initial backer who was lured in by insinuation of Squad being a PR next gen.

PS. haven't played Squad for months ...or maybe year? Cuz still waiting for promised Jets

Jets may show up in some capacity but are likely not to be player controlled if ever included.

So if you're waiting for Jets you might have to wait for modders.

Looking back to the Reddit AMA from March, Merlin did touch on jets:

Q: Is there like a 10% chance we'll be getting player controlled planes, a10/f22 as shown in the kickstarter? - vishru601
A: I think to be honest it's something that we probably overpromised in the Kickstarter.
A: I would say, yes, there is a 10% chance, but it is likely a no. I definitely think air strikes and non-player controlled planes is something that is being much more heavily considered.
I personally would love to have jets in Squad myself, but I can't say that reflects what is practical for us to achieve well or figure out a good design for. It was actually one of my favorite parts of the "immersive factor" of Project Reality where you know there is a meta-battle in jets going on overhead with the occasional airstrike called in with a jet flyby to complement it. As a fun side note, once upon a time I flew jets during a PR Tournament campaign :-)

It is worth noting that we consider helicopters as part of the 1.0 launch goals, and there's some tidbits about the pilot kit in there as well.