Spookyz

Jets in the future?

Not sure if this topic was discussed, but i'm really curious to know if Air Combat will be implemented at some point?

i only heard of helis and fast rope. never heard of air combat. im not sure it'll be there but a dev has the real answer. 

Do you mean Air Superiority fighters? If so it would be a very, very long time until we even get to the point where thinking about fighter jets would be a thing.

But if you just mean jets in general then yes they will be present, at least in the CAS role, but again it's a while off.

ok I found this out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offworldindustries/squad/posts/1272444, so yes there will be aircraft in the future but how will the devs implement this? will the terrorist side get them as well? I mean that wouldn't really make sense since the game is suppose to be real as possible. i'm really curious too see how this feature will be and hope it won't be unrealistic.

ok I found this out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offworldindustries/squad/posts/1272444, so yes there will be aircraft in the future but how will the devs implement this? will the terrorist side get them as well? I mean that wouldn't really make sense since the game is suppose to be real as possible. i'm really curious too see how this feature will be and hope it won't be unrealistic.

its only certain factions,

In PR as an example they had jets only on certain maps, like Silent eagle with americans vs russia, 

pretty much any faction but militia / isurgents can use jets

During a twitch stream, I remember a certain dev being asked about jets and he responded that its essentially up in the air, (no pun intended sorry), due to the fact that map size directly correlates to how 'realistic' the jet gameplay could end up being. They dont necessarily want to force pilots to be stuck inside a map that feels too small for jet gameplay. Thats the underlying point of what was said, but that was also months ago. Very well could have changed. But its an important point to consider.

No need for playable airplanes

Woot mate? This game would becomes even more epic with jets. There is already plans for huuuuge maps. Jest should simply take off from airstrips/carriers far off the combat zones. Would love if it took like a minute or so of flight before you reached the figting areas.

With 100 player support, there is room for multiple jets in the air. Would'nt you like to be able to call in an air strike that was actually player controlled instead of some silly out of nowhere artillery strike?

During a twitch stream, I remember a certain dev being asked about jets and he responded that its essentially up in the air, (no pun intended sorry), due to the fact that map size directly correlates to how 'realistic' the jet gameplay could end up being. They dont necessarily want to force pilots to be stuck inside a map that feels too small for jet gameplay. Thats the underlying point of what was said, but that was also months ago. Very well could have changed. But its an important point to consider.

Same interview they also talked about how mods could be limited, i.e zombies. Now they're saying go nuts :) Things change. Who knows what will happen? I don't even think the devs know :P

- transport helicopters for sure

- attack helicopters 99.9% sure

- ground attack fixed wing aircraft... highly dependent on how well the game does in terms of sales, but not an unimaginable stretch of the imagination

- fighters and air superiority fighters.....  we need the game to really take off for that to happen

All of the above is something we would all love to see. Unless we have Doc Brown on hand to answer a few questions, I can't tell what will happen at this point.

Woot mate? This game would becomes even more epic with jets. There is already plans for huuuuge maps. Jest should simply take off from airstrips/carriers far off the combat zones. Would love if it took like a minute or so of flight before you reached the figting areas.

With 100 player support, there is room for multiple jets in the air. Would'nt you like to be able to call in an air strike that was actually player controlled instead of some silly out of nowhere artillery strike?

Multiple jets, I hope not. God save the infantry hehe

- transport helicopters for sure

- attack helicopters 99.9% sure

- ground attack fixed wing aircraft... highly dependent on how well the game does in terms of sales, but not an unimaginable stretch of the imagination

- fighters and air superiority fighters.....  we need the game to really take off for that to happen

All of the above is something we would all love to see. Unless we have Doc Brown on hand to answer a few questions, I can't tell what will happen at this point.

If you're able to get air to ground planes, I'm sure some skilled moders will be able to make fighter planes using the physics, like in PR. BF2 flight physic was quite different from PR so I'm sure it'll happen. Don't know much about programing myself, but could the rotary wings be tweaked to make fixed wings? Skies the limit with a good modding community. You should know ;)

not a mood killer for me, I never mastered the jets in PR.
I never even flied them on a public server (too embarrassed if I were to crash)

but I did get a thrill out of watching my squad leader laser des an enemy tank and hear a jet fly by then watching it explode.
such an awesome feeling lol

but helicopters are fine too :P

but I did get a thrill out of watching my squad leader laser des an enemy tank and hear a jet fly by then watching it explode.

such an awesome feeling lol

That's the point!!!

If you're able to get air to ground planes, I'm sure some skilled moders will be able to make fighter planes using the physics

That is the easy part.

The hard part is what it requires of the rest of the game - to be bigger.

The surrounding terrain will need to be miles bigger, quite literally. And everything need to scale up with it, especially if you need 2 air bases to launch air superiority fighters from - on the same map.

4km maps arent going to fly (pun intended) with unlimited view distance. The low view distance in BF2:PR was one of the reasons why it could work.

Or the alternative is to scale down the speed of the fighters so drastically that you would also have to scale the speed of all the helicopters down too to make it nice and relative to each other. And at that point helicopters become even more vulnerable to ground fire.

It isn't just as simple as adding a new aircraft and making it go a little bit faster ;)

Multiple jets, I hope not. God save the infantry hehe

I really think jets should only be available on "Vehicle Warfare" type maps, where 99% of all players are in some kind of armor of aircraft. I don't want to see jets and infantry fighting for the same objectives like we had in PR (eg. Khamisiyah AAS STD). It completely throws the sense of scale out the window. It makes no sense.

There needs to be some special "Vehicle Warfare Large Maps" made just for a larger scale of combat. Like 16km x 16km (but with low terrain detail, lower static mesh densities). Then the jets will make sense.

I really think jets should only be available on "Vehicle Warfare" type maps, where 99% of all players are in some kind of armor of aircraft. I don't want to see jets and infantry fighting for the same objectives like we had in PR (eg. Khamisiyah AAS STD). It completely throws the sense of scale out the window. It makes no sense.

There needs to be some special "Vehicle Warfare Large Maps" made just for a larger scale of combat. Like 16km x 16km (but with low terrain detail, lower static mesh densities). Then the jets will make sense.

Kind of agree but hoping it can be done in a satisfying way.

What you said about 16x16 but maybe with a high detail terrain center.

It felt good in PR lazing and jet flew over and BOOM! ;)

That is the easy part.

The surrounding terrain will need to be miles bigger, quite literally. And everything need to scale up with it, especially if you need 2 air bases to launch air superiority fighters from - on the same map.

4km maps arent going to fly (pun intended) with unlimited view distance. The low view distance in BF2:PR was one of the reasons why it could work.

Or the alternative is to scale down the speed of the fighters so drastically that you would also have to scale the speed of all the helicopters down too to make it nice and relative to each other. And at that point helicopters become even more vulnerable to ground fire.

It isn't just as simple as adding a new aircraft and making it go a little bit faster ;)

Im sure you guys have looked into random terrain generation for OOB area? some good lod and optimizing would do wonders i think :D

I suggest archipelagos for that use, it is already time proven industry hack (JOs 60km^2 Straits of Malacca in 2004 with 150 PVP players) to scale up the map size above the HW capabilities along the so used desert environment. :)

It only would need a naval warface assets, like ferries and boats of some type. :|

That is the easy part.

For all that is holy in the air, please no aircraft flying around at below RL stall speeds. If the game can be scaled to where aircraft can realistically fit, whether that is a big airspace box with off site air bases around the active battlezone, or just freaking big maps (awesome!) then fixed wings are great. Nerfing aircraft to force them to behave unrealistically in a smaller realistic environment causes me pain. In that case, I'd much rather skip piloted aircraft and call in airstrikes from a ghost plane.