Honeybadger

Squad's helicopter flight model?

I know helicopters aren't the main priority now for the dev team but I'm curious if there is at least any idea as to what Squad's helicopter flight physics will be like? As much as I enjoyed flying choppers in PR, I never really liked the flight model, as it was vastly easier to other games and didn't simulate a few aspects of helicopter's that make them interesting.

This was understandable as PR's flight model was based on BF2, a game that is over 10 years old, but now the dev's have way more potential with UE. I'm not expecting a flight model as complex as DCS Huey (and I actually feel that would detrimental to a game like Squad) but I do hope for something with more depth than PR's.

Also, the big factor I'm curious about: Vortex Ring State (Settling with power) - Yes or No? If anyone is curious about this; it's, in a VERY basic term, when a helicopter gets caught in its own downwash and starts rapidly descending. It's extremely dangerous and completely changes a virtual pilots whole perceptive when it is or isn't simulated.

I hope that it is easily accessible but hard to master. Witnessing a skillful pilot is something to see, yet an unskillful pilot is also entertaining sometimes.

I'd like to hope I don't have to spend 50 hours in a slight simulator to be able to fly a chopper in squad, everytime one of these threads pop up they want to over complicate everything,
I think the chopper model in PR was awesome, it took a long time to master and was unforgiving for noobs.

If you sucked at flying the squad in your chopper let you know, and the good pilots were praised on their skill and tactics.

I'm not sure what kind of depth your looking for but if i have to watch 8 dials and 6 items on a HUD to be able to fly I'll never pick the pilot kit in my life lol

One of the guys who is working on the flight modeling is Tooner, he was hired earlier this year and he has some videos on his youtube channel which shows flight dynamics he was working on.

Here's his video for his flight model with the AH1 as well as a oculus video too and here is a video of his LAV-25. Here's a video of his LAV-25 physics. They are probably not a representation of what the modelling/physics will look like in the early access but he's done some pretty good work.

For me..flying in the apache in desert combat mode from Bf 1942 is great.

U have to pay attention every second from take off..not one autopiloting from bf3 or bf4 crap.

When you master it..becomes real fun..but even if u master it if u not concetrated on flying u will crash and that is what i like.

And yes..DEVs..pls dont let a lock on missles...just SL laser designated work.

I'd like to hope I don't have to spend 50 hours in a slight simulator to be able to fly a chopper in squad, everytime one of these threads pop up they want to over complicate everything,

I think the chopper model in PR was awesome, it took a long time to master and was unforgiving for noobs.

If you sucked at flying the squad in your chopper let you know, and the good pilots were praised on their skill and tactics.

I'm not sure what kind of depth your looking for but if i have to watch 8 dials and 6 items on a HUD to be able to fly I'll never pick the pilot kit in my life lol

Agreed.  I am not a bad chopper pilot but if it's overly complicated like say ARMA then no thanks.  

For me..flying in the apache in desert combat mode from Bf 1942 is great.

U have to pay attention every second from take off..not one autopiloting from bf3 or bf4 crap.

When you master it..becomes real fun..but even if u master it if u not concetrated on flying u will crash and that is what i like.

And yes..DEVs..pls dont let a lock on missles...just SL laser designated work.

I rather enjoyed the learning curve in the DC helos.  When I mastered it I felt like a beast.  BF3 was pretty easy to learn and BF4 was stupid easy.  I can't imagine much can change from game to game, from developer to developer thou.  I'm not a game designer by any stretch but beyond a few quirks here and there they are basically the same right?!

Personally I just hope whatever flight model they use they implement a training map with a helicopter respawning in it that you can learn on anytime. I don't mind learning to fly, but I REALLY don't want to have to do it in a live game probably ruining other peoples.

Agreed.  I am not a bad chopper pilot but if it's overly complicated like say ARMA then no thanks.  

I rather enjoyed the learning curve in the DC helos.  When I mastered it I felt like a beast.  BF3 was pretty easy to learn and BF4 was stupid easy.  I can't imagine much can change from game to game, from developer to developer thou.  I'm not a game designer by any stretch but beyond a few quirks here and there they are basically the same right?!

Lol arma is very easy 

Lol arma is very easy 

It most certainly is not.  Not compared to the BF series.  

Arma flying is terrible it feels like im solving math equations instead of flying a real vehicle, I'd rather have the flight simulator X flight model than that.

Can't wait to fly in squad! I had such a blast in PR:A2. Even when being bullied by 20 AA missiles and enemy Mi-24. Watching the video, it looks easy, but I remember it was nothing but. Especially without flares.

Similar flight model to ArmA would be great. Pretty much anyone was able to fly, but being able to avoid incoming fire, land with haste, use autorotation in case of emergency, provide accurate fire support and other advanced maneuvers took time to master. I'd like flying to be a craft of sorts, not too dumbed down. But seeing in what direction devs have taken the game this far, I'm not worried.

Maximum map size (4x4) is underwhelming though when you consider how fast you can move and how far you can see from up there. 

Arma flying is terrible it feels like im solving math equations instead of flying a real vehicle, I'd rather have the flight simulator X flight model than that.

In a helo? All you do is get in and throttle up. I don't know why you guys think there's a bunch of switches to flip and dials to turn. I like the ARMA model, it's easy to fly yet takes time and skill to master. When you can get a chopper to do exactly what you want, there's a sense of achievement. 

Honestly, I think 4x4k maps are a little too small for helos if you use a realistic flight model, you could hardly get them up to full speed and back down again.

The original flight model from Arma 3 is perfect, I think. Detailed enough to be hard to master and rewarding to fly, but not overly complicated to where you need pedals, a throttle, and a flight stick to fly.

The Advanced Flight Model they released later as an option is exactly what you would need the pedals, throttle, and flight stick for! Lol

Hopefully the flight model will be more like the original Arma 3 model, and not dumbed down much at all from there. When it's too simple it's boring.