Jimieus

Time to Kill and the flow of play - A Discussion.

I'd rather not see any change to the damage model, unless it's to make it even more deadly.

"A brutally unforgiving experience" is exactly what I was looking for when I bought this game, if I wanted something that wouldn't "lead to frustration in users", I would've bought what these guys usually play.

Should make this a separated thread.

I do like most if not all the suggestions/feedback, though.

You gonna love DUST then, its a 1 shot kill with any weapon at any range

Oooooh good points everyone - ComedyInk: daaaaamn that's some good discussion points right there! Good read!

"A brutally unforgiving experience" is exactly what I was looking for when I bought this game, if I wanted something that wouldn't "lead to frustration in users", I would've bought what these guys usually play.

And I don't doubt that for a second. I actually lean towards it as well, but it must be said, we are in the minority when it comes to that kind of experience. I want Squad to make phat stacks, and for that to happen, it needs to reach a large audience. A rock and a hard place situation!

I did at one stage wonder if an 'arcade' type mode would be a good thing - but then you just end up splitting a niche community. I imagine it may end up like regular mode in RO2 (a proverbial ghost town after a point).

It will be interesting to see what parameters server owners have to play with further down the line. Who knows, perhaps Squad-lite servers may form a good entry-point for new users. Only time will tell :)

1 shot...people dont die by 1 shot with any weapons because of X reasons... also remember when i said that Arma 3 controls are the 101 how not to design a control system...i take that back. this game pretty much is what happen when you add a new feature and also add it into a new bind XD

like holy shit, the way you fire in this game... hold the mouse button then pull back to pull the trigger...sounds cool...not going to lie

edit: i take that back Arma 3 is still king on bad desifn...from me looking at the controls...its just different. i wonder if it feels good...using the MMB to fire seems strange for me

Weapons & Mechanics:

I still feel as if guns are very spamming. It just so easy to full auto spam, and get easy kill. Marksmanship is not rewarded what so ever.

I would say something about suppression, but I feel as if it's not even in the game. While playing, I can't say I notice it. What I do notice although is the sound of bullet snaps around my soldiers body (GJ Anders :D).

Well, i have to say that hearing the bullets' fly by over my head and the knowledge that is so easy to get killed by a random spammed bullet is acting quite effectively as a suppression for me. Suppression is more a state of mind that a blurred screen with increased weapon sway =)

And I don't doubt that for a second. I actually lean towards it as well, but it must be said, we are in the minority when it comes to that kind of experience. I want Squad to make phat stacks, and for that to happen, it needs to reach a large audience. A rock and a hard place situation!

That's my whole point. I bought it because I am in the minority that wants a game like this one, brutally unforgiving.

Changing it to make it more forgiving and appeal to a larger audience would just defeat the whole purpose.

And I'm pretty sure the "niche" is a lot bigger than you think. How many people do you see complain each time a new game that claims to be "tactical and/or realistic" comes around and turns out to only be tactical compared to the average generic shooter on the market but still way too casual for their taste? How long have these people been waiting for something different to come along?

Squad has basically no competition right now in the "brutally unforgiving shooter" market. If it had to change to appeal to a larger audience, that would be another story.

Not to mention I would've just wasted a hundred bucks on false promises.

It did catch my eye, but checking it out, seemed like there was basically no actual map right now.

EDIT: Checking out the greenlight page, I read this:

"So, another multiplayer FPS that claims to be "real", what's the deal?

There are hundreds of them and we all know that realism isn't really there. There are few that comes close, but not quite there. Hell, I was so into realism that I eventually decided to make one instead of looking. D.U.S.T. was not made to be better and more "real", it was made to do it right. So here is a brief feature list. "

Kind of what I meant in the first part of this post.

That's my whole point. I bought it because I am in the minority that wants a game like this one, brutally unforgiving.

Changing it to make it more forgiving and appeal to a larger audience would just defeat the whole purpose.

And I'm pretty sure the "niche" is a lot bigger than you think. How many people do you see complain each time a new game that claims to be "tactical and/or realistic" comes around and turns out to only be tactical compared to the average generic shooter on the market but still way too casual for their taste? How long have these people been waiting for something different to come along?

Squad has basically no competition right now in the "brutally unforgiving shooter" market. If it had to change to appeal to a larger audience, that would be another story.

Not to mention I would've just wasted a hundred bucks on false promises.

It did catch my eye, but checking it out, seemed like there was basically no actual map right now.

EDIT: Checking out the greenlight page, I read this:

"So, another multiplayer FPS that claims to be "real", what's the deal?

There are hundreds of them and we all know that realism isn't really there. There are few that comes close, but not quite there. Hell, I was so into realism that I eventually decided to make one instead of looking. D.U.S.T. was not made to be better and more "real", it was made to do it right. So here is a brief feature list. "

Kind of what I meant in the first part of this post.

Well Dust is being developped by 1 Dev so development pace will be very slow. However I did bought it as it was on a reduction of 25% so i got it for 11e, i guess i'll start playing it in 6 months

Well Dust is being developped by 1 Dev so development pace will be very slow. However I did bought it as it was on a reduction of 25% so i got it for 11e, i guess i'll start playing it in 6 months

Yeah, I know.

I just noticed it was already on my "follow" list on Steam for probably a while now.

Picking it up sometime is a definite probability.

Hey guys - don't often post but I haven't seen this (controversial) topic brought up and thought I might throw myself to the wolves in broaching this subject - so here it goes.

As I am sure most here are aware of, in designing an FPS, TTK is an important aspect when it comes to the flow of play and is a governing factor in the perceived 'fun-ness' of a shooter. With Too high of a TTK, and your shooter can be branded as a casual and unrealistic experience, too short, and your shooter can turn into a brutally unforgiving experience which can lead to frustration in users. It's a delicate balance, with swings in either direction forming a core part of the experience as well as defining the philosophy of the game.

So, why the hell do I bring this up? With December 15th just around the corner, Squad is about to be opened to a much wider audience through steam than it has previously been exposed to - both hardcore and casual alike and everything in between. I really want this game to succeed, but after playing now for the last few weeks I have begun to form the opinion that the current TTK and heal/revive mechanics can, in a lot of instances, hurt the flow of play and that this might translate to a smaller playerbase in the long run for Squad.

It's a rock and a hard place situation - go too soft and alienate the core, smaller 'realistic' fanbase, go too hard and lose out on the greater numbers that come with a more flowing experience.

Personally, I feel if the TTK was slightly increased and the heal/revive mechanics made easier/streamlined/quicker to facilitate we may just be onto something here that could appeal to a large audience. As much as I am a fan of true, realistic experiences, over the years I have come to the realisation that realistic doesn't always equate to 'fun' - the real reason most play games in the first place.

Just to clarify, I am not proposing we make the next battlefield here, only that this is an important subject and that if we want this game to go gangbusters this should be a topic on the table.

TLDR: What are your thoughts so far on Squad in regards to TTK and gameplay flow? Do you find the current TTK/heal/revive enjoyable? If not, what aspect would you look at to improve the flow of play? Should regular/veteran modes be introduced? Am I the bane of humanity for bringing this up?

Discuss :)

P.s - sorry for the wall of text guys.

I personally am okay with a smaller player base. I love the excitement when you get into contact after a lull. 

But for what it is worth, things are going to be very different when we have vehicles and 100 players. 

I personally am okay with a smaller player base. I love the excitement when you get into contact after a lull. 

But for what it is worth, things are going to be very different when we have vehicles and 100 players. 

And a new animation system, it can't come soon enough! Some changes to movement, weapons "feel", stamina, overall speed will change in the future. There is still quite a bit missing that will have an effect on overall game flow. Not much will be taken away at this point, but a lot of tweaking, adding, maybe some decoupling of certain systems, etc.

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but this is slowly starting to occur, for example, non-ADS recoil modifiers to force people into ADS more often. In turn, I am slowing down the ADS speed modifiers even more, so you actually go at a more tactical pace. (because of the lack of the new animation system, this will make certain...stances look derp as hell, sorry, but I chose gameplay over looks on this one).

All in due time everyone, still lots more to go.