Mursh

Militia and Russians look too similar

FIXXXER   

Militia and Russians look too similar. This is a game and for the sake of making it fun, the silhouettes need to be distinct enough to identify. The differences are way to subtle at a distance and when the game goes live the team kills are going to go through the roof. I almost never TK on the US vs Insurgents, but on Russian maps I tk and hesitate constantly.

Yes I know you can look on your map and that you should be situationally aware, but that shouldn't be nearly the only way to distinguish players.

Thanks

this could be instantly fixed by making the game show friendly players more accurately (when aiming at them)

i usually take aim and wait 1-2 sec. if the game does not display a friendly tag i pull the trigger. sometímes, this works great, sometimes it doesn't...

actually i wish the game wouldn't even display friendly tags, so everyone would play a bit more focused...

Szumilas   

imho if they're close, you should easily be able to differentiate by checking if they are wearing Gorka or multicam pants, and checking if their helmet has a camouflage cover, if they are far away, just cross reference their position on your map to check if they are friendly.

DIsagree. i say make telling the difference between friend/foe even harder. For me it is fun when you are not sure whether you are looking at the enemy or a friend. Tickles your nerves a bit :)

If you are not sure if it´s a friendly or a foe, M is a key you should really know!

I like that about the game a lot, not just shooting instantly but checking and making sure that it really is an enemy is something no other game has.

Bubonic   

I always check map and see who is around and what squads are around to make sure before firing... and if i am not sure I will tell the squad possible enemies to left right whatever and then we go from there :)

If you see someone and are not sure whether you should engage them and risk TK'ing here's what you do: 

1) Don't shoot because you have no idea if they're friendly.

2) Check out the differences between outfits of the 2 factions. Does he look like your squad mate? Don't shoot him.

3) Ask your SL or another friendly to check them out and try to verify (Binocs, scopes, etc) 

4) Check your map.

In the current state of the game, 9 times out of 10 if you look at them directly (without leaning, I've found) and you see no name, shoot them. Now there's cases where their name will not pop up even though they're friendly. Only use it as a last resort.

No matter what they need to change the attires.

No solution to this besides a dumb response like you will know overtime bullshit.

IRONXBAY   

No matter what they need to change the attires.

No solution to this besides a dumb response like you will know overtime bullshit.

I mean, most people have been able to learn over time so your aversion to that solution kind of falls flat.

Secondly, the devs have stated the milita are going to get a rework down the road. Relax m8

FishMan   

Guys you just need to get used to, after playing squad i still insist on that.

For me and my fellows for example there is no problem to identify who is who.

May be because we are russian and familiar to this uniform, i dunno.

But i agree for some guys it is a problem. For example I was watching Pepperbelly's video and from 11:30 i was laughing as hell:

Wiggles   

This is a major problem for me, being colourblind slight variations of colour are impossible for me to see. so that leaves pretty much the name to go by. It wouldnt be so bad if one wore helmets and the others maskes but militia wear helmets too.

"lol look at your map" isn't a solution, if you cannot tell the difference between an enemy and an ally, thats bad game design. But meh, the only solution to it is to avoid maps where those two factions fight.

No its not, its realistic.   You can look at your map and know where allies are.... and if there are no allies where you see movement... guess what they may be... enemy. Be glad characters even appear on the map at all. If it were up to me there would be no icons on the map itself besides the objectives.

Stom   

No its not, its realistic.   You can look at your map and know where allies are.... and if there are no allies where you see movement... guess what they may be... enemy. Be glad characters even appear on the map at all. If it were up to me there would be no icons on the map itself besides the objectives.

There is literally no reason for Militia and Russians to look similar in anyway, you say it's realistic but Militia are a made up faction and this guy is telling you that being colour blind means it's too difficult to tell them apart. Even if he did take the extra time to learn the difference why should he since it's just a learning curve for it's own sake. I know most people responding to this thread can already tell the difference, I can too, but it is just a pointless learning exercise that will cause new players to make unnecessary mistakes.

Its pretty much based on real life, and don't forget all the textures are still placeholders, but a good example is the current conflict between Ukraine and the separatist forces. They also look really alike, use similar uniforms and use the same weapons.

There is literally no reason for Militia and Russians to look similar in anyway, you say it's realistic but Militia are a made up faction and this guy is telling you that being colour blind means it's too difficult to tell them apart. Even if he did take the extra time to learn the difference why should he since it's just a learning curve for it's own sake. I know most people responding to this thread can already tell the difference, I can too, but it is just a pointless learning exercise that will cause new players to make unnecessary mistakes.

Each faction will choose a uniform that matches the landscape they're fighting in. The fact they look similar and are hard to distinguish at a distance is no coincidence.

Wiggles   

There is plenty of reason for them to look similar. This militia is supposed to be based in Eastern Europe which was occupied by the Soiviet Union. They will share much of the same gear or gear that is very similar. 

No they dont.

/thread

Nice argument there.

Ukrainian forces:

478658017.jpg

in15_ukraine_1845682f.jpg

Separatists:

image.jpg

zaharchenko_3175207b.jpg

if you think these look alike you need to get your eyes checked buddy. ;)

Nice argument there.

Ukrainian forces:

478658017.jpg

in15_ukraine_1845682f.jpg

Separatists:

image.jpg

zaharchenko_3175207b.jpg

if you think these look alike you need to get your eyes checked buddy. ;)

If you think those two groups look similar at all it is you who needs your eyes checked. On top of this, you used an extremely old photo of the UAF. They have a completely different uniform now.

Stom   

Its pretty much based on real life, and don't forget all the textures are still placeholders, but a good example is the current conflict between Ukraine and the separatist forces. They also look really alike, use similar uniforms and use the same weapons.

I'm not saying the textures or the general art design is a problem, it's the one dude who's wearing a Russian helmet that's the problem because that causes his silhouette to look nearly the exact same as the Russians. That's all I want to change, the rest is completely fine.

And even if the Militia were there to represent the Ukrainian Separatists, which they aren't and that's been stated by the Devs, you could easily get away with having different helmets or even no helmets since a chunk of the separatists in real life don't wear helmets.

FishMan   

zaharchenko_3175207b.jpg

Захарченко, козёл долбаный.

Sorry guys... could not resist...

And even if the Militia were there to represent the Ukrainian Separatists, which they aren't and that's been stated by the Devs, you could easily get away with having different helmets or even no helmets since a chunk of the separatists in real life don't wear helmets.

It's not true actually, they do wearing helmets...

opol700.jpg

But i agree you can change his helmet to knitted hat. In PR was a such model (my favorite):

66185.jpg

Stom   

opol700.jpg

But i agree you can change his helmet to knitted hat. In PR was a such model (my favorite):

I wasn't saying they don't wear helmets, I was just saying that some of them lack helmets like the dude with the PKM

Rybec   

opol700.jpg

As an interesting note over the past few conflicts in the areas things like armbands were the identifiers between which faction was which.

1897009_10152298490849797_2123838101_n.j

But oh good Lord I wouldn't want a match in the game where uniforms were so similar that the only way to tell the guys you were fighting against weren't the ones you were fighting with were comparing white and yellow armbands.

Захарченко, козёл долбаный.

Sorry guys... could not resist...

opol700.jpg

66185.jpg

No militia are fine. Plus they looked like dog shit in PR I actually like them in Squad they remind me of the Ukrainian separatists 

Stom   

No militia are fine. Plus they looked like dog shit in PR I actually like them in Squad they remind me of the Ukrainian separatists 

I don't think people are suggesting the Militia be entirely redesigned, at least I'm not. They just need a helmet change.

I think people need to slow down when playing the game. This is not some twitch shooter where the fastest guy whens. Here, the most accurate guy wins. So many guys are too wound up to shoot the enemy and get kills they shoot at anything and everything that moves. IFF(identify friend or foe) is the biggest part of combat. Its not just pulling the trigger or dropping a bomb on a target but in fact making sure the target is actually an enemy.

In game example: While playing as Russia on Fool's Road we had managed to take and hold all three flags. All three of our squads had set up a perimeter on the hill of the northern flag. The enemy in a never ceasing attempt to dislodge us was constantly maneuvering and hitting us from multiple sides. Our FOBs were located to the southwest and southeast so our reinforcements would approach up the southern slope. One of our squads had just been decimated trying to knockout an enemy FOB while at the same time we had repulsed an attack from the south and west of the hill. Naturally everyone was on edge but just a few minutes after the fighting had stopped someone calls out contact south and starts shooting. Everyone else follows suit. I was playing as a medic at the time so i'm not shooting but instead still patching guys up and acting as an OP with my binos. I started yelling out "Cease fire! Those are friendlies!" after about 3 seconds of shooting. Luckily our guys had terrible aim but you can't be too quick on the trigger. The enemy can and will confuse you just like they did to us but in my opinion that is a scenario that should not have happened.

Real life example: My best friend's little brother is currently a senior at West Point and this summer his class did MOUT training with guys alternating PL and PS slots. I don't know who was acting as OPFOR or if there even was an OPFOR in play but there were multiple platoons that were all set to attack this small village and clear it. Well the first three times these platoons, full of our future leaders of the Army, went into this town they ended up killing each other in blue on blue. The last time, while my friend was acting platoon sergeant, his platoon was ready to attack and the PL was about to move out in a rush to take the town. My friend told the PL to slow down and get on the radio to find out exactly where the other platoons were and what their plans of movement and action were. This simple 30 second communication prevented these guys from killing each other again. Just proving that we can all learn and adjust but it takes a little time and experience gathered the hard way. 

TLDR: Communication is vital between squads to prevent friendly fire. Work closely with your squad to know not only where they are but also the enemy.