Woolsock

Vehicle, controlling speed

10 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Cruise Control, Yes.

Gears, No.

Add in the steer by mouse option to the no column. Free look is much more valuable.

Edited by Ti0mat

don't have any issues.. I like to turn off the engine and glide .. in some vehicles it helps you sneak...

Well, having gears would serve to make driving more interesting and skill-based as opposed to, you know, pressing W to accelerate. I'm not sure it fits Squad though. Maybe in some kind of hardcore mod, but it probably wouldn't sit well with many players if implemented in vanilla.

I'm still a pretty big proponent of the old PlanetSide style of cruise control. 1 = 10% speed, 2 = 20% speed, 3 = 30% speed, et al. Not that the entire numeric bank of keys needed to be used for that, but it was pretty great to be able to match speeds and convoy along.

That said, the idea of trying to get people to drive stick in a game when most people own automatic transmissions seems like a hilarious barrier to entry. (Apparently less than 3% of transmissions sold in the USA are manual now! Huh! http://beta.latimes.com/business/autos/laautoshow/la-fi-hy-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html)

Could it be possible to control a "crawl" speed etc with mousewheel or something? And then just go full throttle with W.

2 hours ago, Gatzby said:

Apparently less than 3% of transmissions sold in the USA are manual now!

That is sad.  I've only ever had two non standard cars.  1 Auto & 1 Paddles.  Hate them both.  I will go back to standard the next vehicle I buy.

Edited by Kayos

I don't think gears are necessary, especially not if they require more keybinds for players to learn. It could be done with an automatic cruise-control type mechanic, you accelerate to 5km/h, your vehicle will hold that speed until you either speed up or slow down.