TheMasterHermit

sorry in advance if this offends anyone...

thank you everyone for the great replys and engaging conversation. good to see alot of what im reading and doing my best to not get discouraged and hope again i didnt offend anyone or think im attacking them. i do feel more confident that the modding community may bring what im looking for and if they do...those mods on top of an already smooth developing game would be leaps ahead of the mods on top of the arma engine as i feel the engine is what held arma back. 

i do look forward to seeing what the modding community brings to squad and how squad develops. granted i did buy into this with the wrong impression and not having played project reality ( i admit i didnt look at it because it was attached to a game style like battlefield) that aside i definitely have to sit back, look and really think about everything. 

on a side note, not all games have brought bad things to the community. its just the way they did it...take CoD for example if they had done perks differently.....how cool would it be for squad to encourage people to work together and stick together if the Squad lead had a morale perk which maybe gave focus or suppression resistant for being near him..or the support gunner when returning fire and suppressing gave a boost to some affect like an aura. on the surface those things may not seem realistic (ie some of your are probably saying "what perks? boosts?")  but for those that have been in combat and when taking contact had that 240 gunner or saw gunner turn and just unload 200 rounds back at the enemy and felt that feeling of gaining fire superiority you would know what im referring to. that feeling of the guy beside you affecting how you feel....perhaps what im getting at is things like that would encourage people to stick together and work together without punishing them etc (ie my reference to treason for leaving your squad behind to go play rambo lol) 

idk guys im just throwing out ideas and my opinion for some feedback and better understanding of how the community feels etc. 

hope it got people thinking, maybe the devs ideas ..idk lol

Big things are happening Hermit my man.

IE, your example of an AR suppressing the shit out of everything. Check out Zyzz-trooper's post on the role system redo. http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/6878-kits-roles-limits-and-steam-launch/

BOhbqTh.png

So what happens if now a SL wants to do some crazy shit like 2 ARs laying it down? No perks needed, just a willingness to be part of a team. John Rambo gets to fill out a form to be a rifleman.

First off - My reply didn't sound how I want. Sorry for that

Secondly - I agree with the more realistic tactical want of the game. I would love if a game supported that out of the box, but it would have to be a slow push towards it. Why? Because it's a very niche target audience. But if you Squad Lead well, people will do what you say (From my experience in Project Reality)

I'm sorry, I posted too quickly, I edited in a bit of clarification above.

Don't get too discouraged.

If you were truly looking for a true hardcore military simulator, squad wont be it. Contact our support at [email protected] and get a refund.

If you are up for playing a game that takes some liberties in order to give you an experience that  a simulator cannot possibly give you, then stick along for the ride and see what this becomes.

The game isn't even half way done yet :)

will the realism level be equal to that of Project Reality at least? 

will the realism level be equal to that of Project Reality at least?

Most likely MORESO than PR.

New engine. Starting from scratch. Devs that know what they are doing. Do the math ;)

Most likely MORESO than PR.

New engine. Starting from scratch. Devs that know what they are doing. Do the math ;)

So we are good then :D

Honestly, PR was the most realistic combat game out there. Much more realistic than arma IMO, which is the next closest thing. 

So we are good then :D

Honestly, PR was the most realistic combat game out there. Much more realistic than arma IMO, which is the next closest thing.

Not sure if you are aware, but plenty of the Squad devs @ OWI also worked on Project Reality.

Not sure if you are aware, but plenty of the Squad devs @ OWI also worked on Project Reality.

Oh im aware. I was just getting worried because squad is a commercial game. I was thinking it was gonna be made less realistic than PR so it can appeal to a wider audience. 

As long as it maintains the same level as realism, im happy. Anything more is just a cherry ton top

Squad is the first game EVER that has made me "feel" like I'm on deployment. It isn't about the way guns work, or the type of match, or the map, or vehicles or no vehicles, or respawns - there is just a realism in how people act, react, and interact with each other in the game. 

If Squad is a simulator that is what it simulates. 

To be honest I used to be concerned about so many things and frankly I don't give two small poops about most little details any more. I just want that experience and that's what Squad is delivering. 

As you have already realised OP then Squad isnt quite a milsim, so i doubt it will fulfill all your dreams. However, vehicles are comming very soon (my guess would be within a month), along with bigger maps, and i will guarantee you that it will change gameplay for the better :) At the moment the game is focused on relatively small scale infantry combat, simply because there are so many features yet to be implemented, so just hang tight for now.

Long term wise, there may or may not be mods that will suit you specifically, but that will probably be very far into the future. BUT another thing i can guarantee you is that when we get community driven servers, then there will be servers for players like you (and me) who thinks this game has to be played with a mic :) That was/is the case in PR, some servers have hardcore rules and will kick you if you dont have a mic, other server are more loose. I think you will be able to find most of the gameplay you are looking for eventually.

IMO much of what the OP is complaining about will be fixed eventually when more game mechanics get developed which will encourage teamwork and punish lonewolfing. AFAIK there are still lots of  such features yet to be added to Squad, so it is a bit early to judge. On the other hand Squad is NOT  aiming for pure milsim so a bit of freedom is given, so that much will depend on the community, as is now with Project Reality. As PR DEVs use to say: we can't mod the players... being this the sucessor to PR, I think it is fair to take PR as a guide as to what can be expected regarding Squad's future gameplay style, and we the lab rats, I mean, early adopters have a huge part on this.

Bravo!

@topic

I'd love to see an one life only event once.

I'm 100% confident whatever the Devs miss with their commercial release in terms of realism, a realism mod will provide.

I'm 100% confident whatever the Devs miss with their commercial release in terms of realism, a realism mod will provide.

Project reality : squad

Hermit, people will mod to your expectations. Thats one good thing. Also, some of these issues are being fixed and will be fixed in the future. What you said about it being their homeland and such, I TOTALLY agree! They should have like pre built defenses or time to move? Not sure how that would be addressed in the game, but i agree. My friend had tours of Afghan and Iraq, told me mountain and high area warfare there was hard. They would sit in caves and areas and just shoot down.

I pretty mutch agree with you Hermit.....

I been away from most online games since AA2 died, playing alittle arma by myself and some BF when im realy REALY bored.
Only thing i not so keen on is the way everyone saying you need a mic to play this game, you dont.
Im a 43 year old man with a full job and a house to take care of so sitting on comms screaming late at night while the rest of the house is sleeping isent realy an option for me, but it works fine, 99% of the SL's i played under totaly understand this as this dosent mean you cant do youre job.

Just my 2 cents

... Thus, there are and will be many different play styles combined in the main public servers - especially now as there is no way to create community servers where teamwork and communication are not only expected, but enforced: this fact alone will largely fix the situations and conditions of game play that you are not enjoying....

Community servers and admins will solve most of OP's complaints -- auto kick if not in a squad etc.  The rest I believe is similar to what the devs have stated they are shooting for.  A fun game but not a run-n-gun shooter.  So far they have been pretty good at dealing with disruptive ass-hats.

"1. people can respawn as much as they want and dont care about dying...."

-- I actually agree with some sort of negative impact on spawning too quickly over and over.

"2. ... dont have to listen to the squad lead"

-- Kick and report if it gets to "that" point until locking a squad is available.

"3. they dont communicate"

-- Also, kick or work within your squad.  Good team coms are needed to win but not to implement tactics within your squad.  This is going to be an issue with any game but might be solvable via community servers -- maybe checking that a mic is enabled and admins as needed.

"4. they are encouraged to race to the objectives."

-- And they will usually die that way > squad mates abandoning them > rage quits -- problem solved.

"5. they arent given time to work together"

-- You usually get a minute before spawn to figure it out and a good couple minutes getting to the objectives.

[edit] and I believe there are a number of map improvements coming that will help coordinate more easily.

"6. medics think more about getting kills then staying alive and behind cover to care for their mates."

-- v2 is a bad example since being a medic is much harder than it is/was supposed to be.  Now that this is fixed medics will play a more vital role that SLs will clamp down on.  BTW I love medics who stay in cover and wait for their services to be needed.  If they don't show, have them change kits or kick.

"7. they arent able to follow."

(duplicate of #2)

"8. and sadly some just dont know anything about military tactics"

-- don't join their squad, start your own and manage it or teach them.

Patience is going to be a huge part of the EA process with new players.  If you've already lost it in this limited alpha then you'll probably have a better time in Arma.  Or maybe you can find a clan of military guys who play more along your style.

Community servers and admins will solve most of OP's complaints -- auto kick if not in a squad etc.  The rest I believe is similar to what the devs have stated they are shooting for.  A fun game but not a run-n-gun shooter.  So far they have been pretty good at dealing with disruptive ass-hats.

"1. people can respawn as much as they want and dont care about dying...."

-- I actually agree with some sort of negative impact on spawning too quickly over and over.

"2. ... dont have to listen to the squad lead"

-- Kick and report if it gets to "that" point until locking a squad is available.

"3. they dont communicate"

-- Also, kick or work within your squad.  Good team coms are needed to win but not to implement tactics within your squad.  This is going to be an issue with any game but might be solvable via community servers -- maybe checking that a mic is enabled and admins as needed.

"4. they are encouraged to race to the objectives."

-- And they will usually die that way > squad mates abandoning them > rage quits -- problem solved.

"5. they arent given time to work together"

-- You usually get a minute before spawn to figure it out and a good couple minutes getting to the objectives.

[edit] and I believe there are a number of map improvements coming that will help coordinate more easily.

"6. medics think more about getting kills then staying alive and behind cover to care for their mates."

-- v2 is a bad example since being a medic is much harder than it is/was supposed to be.  Now that this is fixed medics will play a more vital role that SLs will clamp down on.  BTW I love medics who stay in cover and wait for their services to be needed.  If they don't show, have them change kits or kick.

"7. they arent able to follow."

(duplicate of #2)

"8. and sadly some just dont know anything about military tactics"

-- don't join their squad, start your own and manage it or teach them.

Patience is going to be a huge part of the EA process with new players.  If you've already lost it in this limited alpha then you'll probably have a better time in Arma.  Or maybe you can find a clan of military guys who play more along your style.

People that have realistic and tactical gameplay experience: maybe from Arma, PR, and Insurgency should not present problems, hopefully. Im a long time vet of these games, and I sure will not do this. But I cant wait! 10 days left!

-snip-

whatever you say, whatever you do.

i will always hold a grudge against you for taking that username.

whatever you say, whatever you do.

i will always hold a grudge against you for taking that username.

DbYVPsr.jpg

I jumped in this weekend

it seems as the game develops and gets better

the quality of players goes to the down hill fast

- Camping on spawn beacon still exists

- Squad leaders not issuing orders

- Waiting to give up gets annoying

- No medic ever res's you

- No way of targeting on map or mini map or good marker system to id enemy's on field (at least with arma 3 i had loads of pink smoke)

- Weapons seem to be slow to change

Please NERF medics so they only good at CQB and not long range and more geared to assist then kill

Please fix the spawn system - no wait to give up , add a death TIMER , add length of death timer to double and add a protection system when spawned

and add a system that you cant spawn IF an enemy is close to the spawn beacon/rally point/fob

I'm agree with the OP.

Regardless how many features the devs could add, it's always the community who does the game.

I bought this game because, on the first page on the website, the promise is huge!

1449409038-squad.jpg

I am very scared about what could become the community now with the new visibility on Steam.
I hope so much the game will not become another Ego-Shooter.

The game is about communication and teamwork, if you don't have a mic and if you are not able to follow the orders of your Squad Leader, why do you choose this game ?

You just want to pick up the ACOG and stay on the hill without spotting and reporting enemies positions ? And at the end of the game you will say "hey guyz, look at my KDR" ?

I can understand you want just "play" the way you want, but there are many many games where you could play "your style" without bother your teammates, and where you could jump into the action more quickly.

I found this video on youtube: (thank you for the uploader)

This is exactly what I'm waiting of this game.

- Squad Leaders coordination at the beggining of the round.

- Soldiers devoted to their Squad Leader.

- Non-stop communications and TeamWork.

I love this video, because there are many differents soldiers, some of them seem lost on the battlefield, but with the aid of their Squad Leader, they participate actively for the objective.

Others seem to be more experienced, and would like to take their own directives, but they stay focused on their Squad Leader.

Maybe the Squad Leader didn't take the good decisions, of course, you, me, we will have chosen others choices, but at least, he can count on many reliable men.

No one discusses the orders, all are disciplined, and it works !

I wish all people who will buy this game, please understand, alone you are nothing ! only with a good teamwork and communication you can win.
And for people who are selfish, avoid this game, you have to be devoted to the others to make something great, together !

English is not my native language, sorry for my syntax.

- Camping on spawn beacon still exists

and add a protection system when spawned

and add a system that you cant spawn IF an enemy is close to the spawn beacon/rally point/fob

You do understand that you HAVE to camp the spawnpoint to destroy it right?

Adding "invincibility" when you spawn would only work if you also disable spawnpoint with 1 enemy close, which in turn would make FOBs useless. I think the current system is ok, because you should know better than to keep spawning on an fob thats being camped :P