IRONXBAY

Sabotage: Behind Enemy Lines

SAS-Falklands.jpg

SABOTAGE

Game mode. Asymmetrical. Except in this case, the roles are switched. BLUFOR is at the disadvantage. OPFOR has the upper hand. But obviously balanced out for gameplay. Ultimately, the team with better communication, coordination and tactics will be the one to succeed.

[POTENTIAL MOD]

This idea assumes/implies the following features can eventually exist:

• Item acquisition system of some kind; Something more than accessing an ammo crate.
  • New items introduced such as satchel charges; knives; mines; flares; intel; wire cutters; zip-tie wrist restraints
  • New construct-able items introduced such as minefield; spotlight; 
  • New PvP function: capturing enemy players
  • Construct-able item restrictions
  • Devs have found a way to mitigate gamma-modification, due to this mostly being set during the night.

Recommended max player count: 40 / 20v20

[could be scaled up or down depending on map size]

TICKET OUTLOOK

BLUFOR: 1800 / Lose 100 tickets every time a BLUFOR player is captured. Lose 1 ticket per player respawn.

OPFOR: 300 / Lose 10 tickets per FOB overrun. Lose 5 tickets per vehicle destroyed. Lose 1 ticket per player respawn.

OVERVIEW

BLUFOR operative presence has been detected deep within OPFOR's territory. OPFOR essentially must spread out and search for the scattered BLUFOR players while also coordinating defenses of their facilities. At the beginning of the match, BLUFOR is normally at their weakest state. They are spread thin, they do not have any of their specialized kits and they have 3 phases of objectives to complete. At the beginning they are also without any medics.

BLUFOR can use their spread to their advantage by coordinating attacks, ambushes and staying as stealthy as possible all while working together to find one another and combine their firepower and skills to complete their objectives.

BLUFOR DETAILS

BLUFOR players start out scattered around the map in groups of 2. They have specialized kits for SERE situations. All BLUFOR players start with:

• Rifle with 6 magazines
  • 1 hand grenade
  • 2 white smoke grenades
  • 1 block of c4
  • 2 bandages

Specialized kits will be available at SUPPLY CRATES scattered around the map. BLUFOR players will be able to replenish their ammo and equipment at these SUPPLY CRATES (for a limited amount of times) and also access different specific kits. Specific kits include:

• Saboteur [satchel charge; wire cutters]
  • Medic [medical bag; 3 extra white smoke grenades]
  • Spotter [bolt action rifle with 8-12x magnified optic; rangefinder]
  • Combat Engineer [anti-vehicle mines;]
  • Officer [rangefinder; emergency flare]

Once they obtain a specialized kit, they can use it for the rest of the match.

Multiple randomized objectives spawn on the map at round start for BLUFOR to complete and are done in chained phases. OPFOR is not told these specific objectives unless a BLUFOR player is captured. BLUFOR objectives are only revealed upon a captured player as per what objective currently exists. OPFOR will not be told what the Phase 2 or 3 objectives will be until those objectives are active and they capture a BLUFOR player.

Phase 1 objectives would be to sabotage an important OPFOR facility. All three of these facilities spawn during the game and are tied to one of the three FOBs. Destroying a facility at an OPFOR FOB renders the FOB un-spawnable. OPFOR must then work from the remaining FOBs and their base for the rest of the game. However, for the Phase 1 Objective, only one of these specialized facilities becomes the 'target' objective. Destroying the other two would also net the same effect as described below, but it would not progress the objectives for BLUFOR.

• Plant explosives on OPFOR's ammunition depot. (Limiting the amount of ammo crates their SL's can deploy)
  • Plant explosives on OPFOR's repair depot (Disable OPFOR from being able to repair their vehicles)
  • Plant explosives on OPFOR's weapon depot (Limit OPFOR kits)

Phase 2: Obtain OPFOR intel in order to reveal the location of the final enemy static FOB. Once intel is gained from this second FOB, the OPFOR FOB becomes un-spawnable.  Intel files are present at every FOB, but only 1 of them becomes the current objective of the BLUFOR team during Phase 2. If non-objective intel files are acquired by BLUFOR during the course of the game, OPFOR active camp positions are revealed temporarily on the map and the FOB where the non-objective intel was taken from are still spawnable by OPFOR.

Phase 3: Move to the final FOB and secure it. Upon completely overrunning the OPFOR FOB, an LZ is created. Hold the LZ for 3 minutes. (Timer starts; Prevent OPFOR from neutralizing it). BLUFOR needs at least one third of their team present within the LZ cap zone in order to cap it. Upon holding the LZ for 3 minutes, BLUFOR victory is achieved. If OPFOR is able to move in, neutralize and cap it back, OPFOR is victorious.

OPFOR DETAILS

OPFOR players can begin the match by spawning at any of these:

• OPFOR Base (1 of them) Main base. Vehicles REspawn here. Ammo crates all over the place. Very well fortified. Not cappable. Almost instant spawn, very small delay. Placed the closest to the center of the map, but not exact center. Comes with prebuilt spotlights and minefields.
  • OPFOR FOB (3 of them) Static. Unlimited spawns. Light vehicles spawn here on match start but do not REspawn on FOBs. Short player respawn delay. Come built up with fortifications already, but OPFOR can only build specifics like minefields, spotlights as well as put down more barbed wire and sandbags. OPFOR can also place down ammo crates within build range of FOB but lose this ability if an ammo depot is destroyed by BLUFOR. Cannot be capped/overran by BLUFOR, must be destroyed via satchel charge placed on the facility at the FOB. Difficult to get inside as BLUFOR. OPFOR has a limited, but large, amount of logistics supply at each FOB. Logistics vehicles can drop off more supplies at FOBs and resupply at OPFOR main base.
  • OPFOR Camp (6 of them) Act similar to rally points. Very short respawn delay. Limited amount of spawns available on them. No vehicles, no ammo crates. Can be capped and permanently removed by BLUFOR.

OPFOR are shown the location of all minefields on their map and will only set off minefields if they idle inside them for too long, giving them a small window of a chance to avoid them if they accidentally run inside. Static minefields around the OPFOR base have signs placed around them. Minefields put down by OPFOR Officers do not have signs around them.

If OPFOR players find a BLUFOR supply crate in the field, they can destroy it.

OPFOR's main objective is to reduce BLUFOR's tickets to 0 and stop them from completing their objectives. OPFOR can capture BLUFOR players by using zip tie wrist restraints on an incapacitated BLUFOR player. However, this item is restricted via a special OPFOR Tracker kit and each OPFOR squad is limited to only 1 Tracker kit. An OPFOR squad must have at least 4 people in it before the Tracker kit becomes available. 

Lots of people want Special Forces in Squad, well -- here's your chance to really pull off some Special Forces shenanigans without all of that silly fancy new-age gear.

I had a horrible feeling I was going to be forced to sit and watch another Andy McNab and Ray Mears video upon entering this thread...

Really nice idea. I like the idea of kit progression and restrictions based on objective capture/loss.

Seems like a complete idea which someone could run with!!

Good work 

I feel like the BLUFOR should have silenced-pistols at least. So they can try to be a little stealthy with a low-damage gun, and if things get bad they could return fire with big loud rifles (but they can be easily spotted with that).

Also, some kits (let's say SL, Recons and Grenadiers) in OPFOR team should have a tactical-light on their rifles, but not the other kits, so it'll force the squad to stay close to theit SL/Recons/Grenadiers because they are the only way to see things in the dark. So of course there will be no NVG in this mode, because it's more fun with tac-lights. > :D

(i don't know if i'm very clear ^^')

S.E.R.E is only for special forces and pilots. Regular infantry does not do S.E.R.E. But over all its a good idea, I like the kit progression. But i could see this being a mod, (Like you said, People who want special forces) hopefully after some sort of SF unit mods. Good idea! 

S.E.R.E is only for special forces and pilots. Regular infantry does not do S.E.R.E.

Every branch handles it differently. I imagine this game mode isn't aimed to be specific to the US Army, instead it's aimed at a different approach to game modes that can encompass the more "conventional" side with a less than desired situation.. hence the uses of BLUFOR and OPFOR in the OP.

Not to mention I'm sure there's going to be a Special Forces "faction" in SQUAD, created by either modders or the devs themselves. The game is already looking to be flexible when it comes to modding / creating your own game modes too. Not everything has to be 100% accurate for the Insurgents and US Army.. there's plenty more factions and content to come.

Every branch handles it differently. I imagine this game mode isn't aimed to be specific to the US Army, instead it's aimed at a different approach to game modes that can encompass the more "conventional" side with a less than desired situation.. hence the uses of BLUFOR and OPFOR in the OP.

Not to mention I'm sure there's going to be a Special Forces "faction" in SQUAD, created by either modders or the devs themselves. The game is already looking to be flexible when it comes to modding / creating your own game modes too. Not everything has to be 100% accurate for the Insurgents and US Army.. there's plenty more factions and content to come.

Thats why i said, i could see this being a mod. And thats true that it doesnt have to be 100% accurate and im not saying that this is only for the army. And yes this game is really flexible, currently working on mods for the game :3

Thats why i said, i could see this being a mod. And thats true that it doesnt have to be 100% accurate and im not saying that this is only for the army. And yes this game is really flexible, currently working on mods for the game :3

Ah sorry, I didn't see you update your post so I was replying to what you originally posted. :D Aye, I was doing some shady stuff but I can see how they're working on their assets which is a great help when planning the workflow for projects!

Ah sorry, I didn't see you update your post so I was replying to what you originally posted. :D Aye, I was doing some shady stuff but I can see how they're working on their assets which is a great help when planning the workflow for projects!

i know, im sorry xD schools internet sucks. Like badly, it took about 5 minutes to update

I mentioned this being a potential mod and the fact this type of mission is generally more suited closer to what SF units do all within the OP.

I had a horrible feeling I was going to be forced to sit and watch another Andy McNab and Ray Mears video upon entering this thread...

Ive been reading books about the SAS lately.

I feel like the BLUFOR should have silenced-pistols at least. So they can try to be a little stealthy with a low-damage gun, and if things get bad they could return fire with big loud rifles (but they can be easily spotted with that).

Also, some kits (let's say SL, Recons and Grenadiers) in OPFOR team should have a tactical-light on their rifles, but not the other kits, so it'll force the squad to stay close to theit SL/Recons/Grenadiers because they are the only way to see things in the dark. So of course there will be no NVG in this mode, because it's more fun with tac-lights. > :D

(i don't know if i'm very clear ^^')

I dont want suppressors at all in this mode because I feel its a bit gamey and asking too much towards 'SF' gear, BUT I really REALLY like your flashlight idea.

Before reading your post I thought it'd be a gametype where instead of even teams it'd be very skewed in favor of OPFOR numbers. Say having 10v30 in a match of 40 people. More of an emphasis on the evasion part.

Before reading your post I thought it'd be a gametype where instead of even teams it'd be very skewed in favor of OPFOR numbers. Say having 10v30 in a match of 40 people. More of an emphasis on the evasion part.

I considered that but decided against it, and tried to balance out the game mode in other areas to still create more of an asymmetrical approach

OVERVIEW

BLUFOR operative presence has been detected deep within OPFOR's territory.

That part is alluding to a smaller force. Seems kind of silly to have some operators equal in number to their opponents.

How I see it, having contact with said Blufor would be the excitement of this game mode. Having equal numbers would just be like a normal game to Opfor. Blufor wouldn't want to draw much attention to themselves or stay in an area very long because they'd have terrifying numbers of people coming after them when they've been located.

Not like it's similar in many ways but I used to play with an organized Arma2 community where we had this scenario called Commandos. In this gametype you had five (or six?) people playing as Blufor with as many as maybe 70 people playing as Opfor. Blufor had random targets they had to plant explosives at and destroy while Opfor had to protect them until time ran out.

For people with short attention spans this would be a terrible game mode because you could go most of the match before seeing these Blufor. It was very interesting having patrols try to be as efficient as possible.

However that's coordinated playing, hardly viable with a standard public server. I still believe it should be skewed teams otherwise it's more like Survival, Engage, Regroup and Engage.

However that's coordinated playing, hardly viable with a standard public server. I still believe it should be skewed teams otherwise it's more like Survival, Engage, Regroup and Engage.

The name of S.E.R.E. wasn't meant to be taken literally.

The name of S.E.R.E. wasn't meant to be taken literally.

More of a play on the tactics Blufor would use. If you're not outmatched in manpower it'd be quite viable to just fight your way where you want to be, know what I'm getting at?

If you're not outmatched in manpower it'd be quite viable to just fight your way where you want to be, know what I'm getting at?

I wrote out that entire OP detailing how BLUFOR would still be at a disadvantage in terms of weapons and equipment. Plus I left the specific weapons BLUFOR would be using totally open in order to further tweak the asymmetrical aspect. 

The premise of an actual S.E.R.E. game mode sounds fun, but this is definitely not what I would have envisioned and I doubt it would end up as anything more than a small team death match. If you want asymmetrical warfare, you have to make it an appealing option, and frankly this just doesn't seem like there's any reason for BLUFOR to do anything outside of the norm. 

The premise of an actual S.E.R.E. game mode sounds fun, but this is definitely not what I would have envisioned and I doubt it would end up as anything more than a small team death match. If you want asymmetrical warfare, you have to make it an appealing option, and frankly this just doesn't seem like there's any reason for BLUFOR to do anything outside of the norm. 

How would it end up as a 'small team deathmatch' when there are clearly defined objectives?

What do you mean by 'the norm' for BLUFOR?

Are you aware that the devs refer to the insurgency game mode as asymmetrical? How do you feel about the insurgency game mode in Squad and how it is laid out?

What if it was setup like a game of chinese checkers, and the goal for one group is to get across the map to a "safe zone", while the others are hunting for them. Spawn zones are random each map. Vehicles and other resources are randomly available. If you die your team loses 1 ticket. If you're captured they lose 2. Respawn at a random location back across the map. I dunno. Its kinda like a VIP mode, but everyone's the VIP and sticking together could make you more or less successful. Add in a split-loyalty civilian to smuggle people... o_0

In anycase, I like this topic. Keep em bouncing.

My original idea for this started out as something more akin to that, unfrail, but it sort of grew into what it is now. I'd be interested in something like that as well..

I'm a little put off by how people are taking the S.E.R.E. thing so literally, but I suppose this game mode really isn't about simply surviving and escaping as BLUFOR, it's more Sabotage. I may just rename it to that.

Edit: Title and OP edited.

How would it end up as a 'small team deathmatch' when there are clearly defined objectives?

What do you mean by 'the norm' for BLUFOR?

Are you aware that the devs refer to the insurgency game mode as asymmetrical? How do you feel about the insurgency game mode in Squad and how it is laid out?

1. I assume you've played Red Orchestra, yes? If you've ever played any of the smaller maps you'd understand what I mean. Hell, it can even be seen on some PR maps. Rather than fighting over objectives, people fight for kills and ignore the objectives all together as they do nothing more than determine the battle ground. 

2. When I say 'the norm' I mean that the BLUFOR team, which is supposed to be at a disadvantage, it appears to me that they've got a pretty decent kit as well as numerical symmetry, so why would they fight any differently than they normally would? Why would they go out of there way to be sneaky and do hit & runs and destroy FOBs when their standard loadout is a pretty good combat rig?

3. I am aware that insurgency is considered asymmetrical, but I have not played Squad yet so I could not tell you. If it's anything like PR's insurgency then I'd say it can definitely just be a TDM depending on the map. A great example is the Fallujah map.

My original idea for this started out as something more akin to that, unfrail, but it sort of grew into what it is now. I'd be interested in something like that as well..

I'm a little put off by how people are taking the S.E.R.E. thing so literally, but I suppose this game mode really isn't about simply surviving and escaping as BLUFOR, it's more Sabotage. I may just rename it to that.

I had toyed around with an SAR mode idea earlier in the year, and some of these things are a bit challenging to interpret for general infantry play. I like the idea though, and I think challenges like this are what lead to new game modes that are novel and interesting, regardless of whether they end up where you initially intend. If you cant tell, I love to spitball things like this.

If you do intend for something more like Sabotage, I say rename it to that. Its hard not to think SERE with SERE being the name. I do think a SERE interpretation would be rather compelling regardless. And sabotage mode sounds badass too, and fits the OP a bit better.

1. I assume you've played Red Orchestra, yes? If you've ever played any of the smaller maps you'd understand what I mean. Hell, it can even be seen on some PR maps. Rather than fighting over objectives, people fight for kills and ignore the objectives all together as they do nothing more than determine the battle ground. 

2. When I say 'the norm' I mean that the BLUFOR team, which is supposed to be at a disadvantage, it appears to me that they've got a pretty decent kit as well as numerical symmetry, so why would they fight any differently than they normally would? Why would they go out of there way to be sneaky and do hit & runs and destroy FOBs when their standard loadout is a pretty good combat rig?

3. I am aware that insurgency is considered asymmetrical, but I have not played Squad yet so I could not tell you. If it's anything like PR's insurgency then I'd say it can definitely just be a TDM depending on the map. A great example is the Fallujah map.

1. I have not played Red Orchestra, but I have played Squad, quite a bit actually, since the CPA. I just don't see this as a very valid reason to not consider my idea; it's basically possible for any single game mode invented to end up turning into a TDM.. the whole reason why Squad is so loved by this community is because of how it fosters emergent and 'ad hoc' gameplay where people cooperate together to complete their objectives. I would argue it's more the players themselves that end up making a match great or horrible, not the game or game mode itself..

2. Their kits/ammunition can be edited. The OP isn't an end all, be all to my idea. I just did my best to lay it out as detailed as I saw it for starters. The specific kit/combat loads were what I gave the least amount of thought to, because I knew it could be easily modified to suit the asymmetrical situation more appropriately.

3. I would argue that at least as insurgents while playing the INS game mode.. when you have essentially unlimited tickets, it does turn into a 'deathmatch' of sorts. You only need to protect your caches, your individual lives in terms of tickets aren't nearly as valuable as BLUFOR's tickets are to them.