Cheesy_LeScrub

SQUAD - the Cheesy Tactical Guide

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. Plus, yours is a Manual and mine is Guide. We've attacked the game from two different angles!

I'll copy-edit or you want a proof reader, or provide content if you want a write. I'm more than happy to assist, Iron. I know how difficult it can be to solo a large project haha.

I appreciate it!

It's being worked on over time and being compiled from things we learn in game. Currently an internal 303RD project, and i'm going about it 4 pages or so at a time. Keeping it as simple and concise as possible. When its ready to be shared i'll let you and Usgu know.

I love the giant cock. (please don't quote me on that. :P)

But I am special. My daddy said so himself. I'm a special snowflake and so is everybody else. Some people are just a bit more special than others.

Seriously though, I may not be special but a good squad leader is important, if not vital, for both success and an enjoyable gameplay experience. I take that responsibility and give it my best - which may not be as best as some other skilled or natural leaders - but I do feel that my contribution is an important one. That's also what I like about the game: being able to turn a match around, or being able to actually make an impact on the game's outcome, even when there are so many others involved. Sometimes I fail, many times I fail, but more often than not we succeed and have a blast.

Good guide. Thanks.

Give that boy a pinned, well worth reading. Good addition to the manual.

4 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Just come across this and it's a very good read. Love to see @Cheesy_LeScrubadd another section now we have vehicles. Should be every new Squad players bedtime reading material.

Version 2.0 will be out in a month or so. Professionally redone through InDesign with new sections on Vehicles and Tactics and a bunch if illustrations and photos :)

@Cheesy_LeScrub- This is really great. As a new player, it's really helping me a lot.

On 8/12/2016 at 11:09 AM, Cheesy_LeScrub said:

Version 2.0 will be out in a month or so. Professionally redone through InDesign with new sections on Vehicles and Tactics and a bunch if illustrations and photos :)

Is this still being worked on? I'm excited to see Version 2.0! :)

Yeah. We hit a creative road-block. Basically, I set some deadlines and then burned myself out on the project. It's far more difficult than I first anticipated. I've also got a bunch of personal admin to deal with--including arranging my move from Australia to Scotland--so actually playing the game with my Australian buddies has taken precedence.

It's still there, and it's still very much being worked on--if slowly. I am now thinking of releasing them in three separate parts--at least to get some published content out to the Community and to give myself a bit more motivation. I have Basic Soldiering pretty much 80% complete. So I might just push to get that done and get some feedback from you all :)

Also, with @DocEast recently publishing his Herding Cats the niche for a comprehensive SL Guide has now, for the mid-term, been filled. I suggest you all get on to that! And @Nightstalker21 has promised a French translation of the new Guide when it is finally done. So there's also that to look forward to!

Edited by Cheesy_LeScrub

As an aside, I just looked at the date this post was first made. We're almost a year to the day since the first version of the Guide. And boy how has SQUAD changed in that time!

4 minutes ago, Cheesy_LeScrub said:

Yeah. We hit a creative road-block. Basically, I set some deadlines and then burned myself out on the project. I've also got a bunch of personal admin to deal with--including arranging my move from Australia to Scotland--so actually playing the game with my Australian buddies has taken precedence.

It's still there, and it's still very much being worked on--if slowly. I am now thinking of releasing them in three separate parts--at least to get some published content out to the Community and to give myself a bit more motivation. I have Basic Soldiering pretty much 80% complete. So I might just push to get that done and get some feedback from you all :)

Also, with @DocEast recently publishing his Herding Cats the niche for a comprehensive SL Guide has for the short-term been filled. I suggest you all get on to that! And @Nightstalker21 has promised a French translation of the new Guide when it is finally done. So there's also that to look forward to!

And I still can say, Cheesy's work is absolutely A-WE-SO-ME :)

Just now, Nightstalker21 said:

And I still can say, Cheesy's work is absolutely A-WE-SO-ME :)

Yeah, well you've got a sneak peek :P  Thanks mate haha.

13 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Why did you list the AR as second of importance right after Medic?

Because 12 months ago BTRs weren't a thing. 

Revised, that list will read--

1) Medic

2) LAT

3) Grenadier 

4) AR

5) Support kits

6) Rifleman

There's no hard and fast rule. Kit selection is context specific. There's no point prioritizing LAT if you're playing an infantry layer, or you shouldn't bring AR if you need an Engineer (or Breacher... or a similar to-be-implemented Kit). But generally speaking this is the order I would rate Kits.

Edited by Cheesy_LeScrub

3 minutes ago, Peerun said:

I didn't even realise.

I figured that might have been the case haha. This is actually a fairly "old" Guide now. Although most of the information remains relevant, the meta has changed significantly. If suppression had more of an impact on gameplay, I'd probably rate AR over Grenadier. But the accuracy you can attain with the GL, and the proficiency of most players using that weapon, now make it far deadlier and thus higher on this list--relative to AR-- than it was back then.

Edited by Cheesy_LeScrub

15 hours ago, Cheesy_LeScrub said:

Yeah. We hit a creative road-block. Basically, I set some deadlines and then burned myself out on the project. It's far more difficult than I first anticipated. I've also got a bunch of personal admin to deal with--including arranging my move from Australia to Scotland--so actually playing the game with my Australian buddies has taken precedence.

Also, with @DocEast recently publishing his Herding Cats the niche for a comprehensive SL Guide has now, for the mid-term, been filled. I suggest you all get on to that! And @Nightstalker21 has promised a French translation of the new Guide when it is finally done. So there's also that to look forward to!

Happy to wait for as long as it takes @Cheesy_LeScrub - I was just wanting to make sure it was still a possibility! As someone who has moved a long distance (UK to USA) ((Admittedly not quite as far as Australia-Scotland!!!)) I know how that goes! Obviously I can't speak for everyone entirely, but I would imagine the majority of people are happy to wait.

Again, great work on v1.0 - it's really helped me out even joining the game in v8. I'll be sure to check out the guide from @DocEast too!