sgtcaboose

What FPS do you get playing Squad with your rig?

Ridoncolous FPS variation all over the place 

In Boot Camp look at complex scenery,medium distance wall, skybox and ground , fps variation from 35 to 85 fps , with 12 to 24 ms frametimes 

Setting 1440 p, no AA , effects cinematic, all other settings HIGH, vsync off, supersampling off, motionblur off, steam overlay disabled. FOV 100

load all texture to video ram ON (8 gb vram) and i consider these perfectly reasonable settings for this kind of hardware.

Place where i tested this is next to 8 cm mortar in FOB on Training Level.

Imho this scenario should run easily a 100 fps on this system given the fact that it was the training level, theres no complex

calculations going on with the CPU (no network load, no moving objects, no players,and no AI or stuff) , The GPU is absolutely capable of handling this. 

CZ75KV.jpg

System: 

SKYLAKE Core I7 6700 3.4 ghz

Nvidia GTX 980 M 8 GB

16 GB Kingston

System SSD Samsung 960 EVO NVME m.2 PCI EXPRESS

GAME SSD : SAMSUNG 850 EVO SATA 

no thermal throttling

High Energy Profile

Fans set to max speed

System cost: Around 2500 €

Windows 10 Pro Creators Fall Update, Latest Nvidia Driver

Edited by sabrehawk

27 minutes ago, sabrehawk said:

System: 

SKYLAKE Core I7 6700 3.4 ghz

Nvidia GTX 980 M 8 GB

16 GB Kingston

System SSD Samsung 960 EVO NVME m.2 PCI EXPRESS

GAME SSD : SAMSUNG 850 EVO SATA 

no thermal throttling

High Energy Profile

Fans set to max speed

System cost: Around 2500 €

Windows 10 Pro Creators Fall Update, Latest Nvidia Driver

Your problem is the GTX 980M. At best it's on par with a GTX 1050ti desktop equivalent. Jensens Range (Boot Camp) is probably nowhere near being optimized so might explain the large performance variations you're seeing. My old GTX 780ti performed around a similar 85fps on the range.

Squad patch 9.17

FPS: ~25-30 minimum

CPU: i7 5820K @ 3.4Ghz

GPU: GTX 1080 FTW 1860Mhz max Boost

RAM: 64 GB  in QC 2400Mhz Cl 15

Squad on an 1TB EVO 850

res 2560x1080

Cache cleared after the Update , get even bad FPS in Singelplayer now ( Screenshot shows Al bash in Singelplayer via adminchangemap).

5QGZFSu.jpg

On 24.11.2017 at 2:01 AM, ZXD_Lee said:

oh shit just seen, you've got a R9 290 OMFG that's totally shit!!! CPU Good GPU no good at all 

Your CPU will be running at 40 to 60% and your GPU will be having a meltdown 

As a keep on saying don't bring old crap or anything from AMD! unless you have ryzen or the new AMD GPUs

and you must have at least 16gb of ram 

Total bullshit - I bet you never had this card. 

R9 290 is a great GPU and CPU is running at it's full potential all the time. And why the heck GPU can go meltdown? It's running extra cold with 65 degrees after OC thanks to TriXX cooling system. I can play literally every other game in high/ultra setttings in 1080p in decent FPS. And I run 16 gigs of 3200 DDR4. 

It's just Squad engine is junk for now as what it offers. As I've said before, game looks like 2001 game with 2021 system requirements.  

4 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

Total bullshit - I bet you never had this card. 

R9 290 is a great GPU and CPU is running at it's full potential all the time. And why the heck GPU can go meltdown? It's running extra cold with 65 degrees after OC thanks to TriXX cooling system. I can play literally every other game in high/ultra setttings in 1080p in decent FPS. And I run 16 gigs of 3200 DDR4. 

It's just Squad engine is junk for now as what it offers. As I've said before, game looks like 2001 game with 2021 system requirements.  

I would say R9 290 is not even as good as a 1060!!! its defo not the right card for running any beta game!!! by the time squad is out and a year old the poor old 290 is going to useless and having cards like this just slows everything down 

a few years ago it was ok for the games at the time but things have moved on since then 

and by meltdown, i don't mean heat I mean it just can't handle squad

its a bit like playing in 1080p, it was ok to a year ago but now its 1440p 

thats PC gaming for you 

Edited by ZXD_Lee

36 minutes ago, ZXD_Lee said:

I would say R9 290 is not even as good as a 1060!!! its defo not the right card for running any beta game!!! by the time squad is out and a year old the poor old 290 is going to useless and having cards like this just slows everything down 

a few years ago it was ok for the games at the time but things have moved on since then 

and by meltdown, i don't mean heat I mean it just can't handle squad

its a bit like playing in 1080p, it was ok to a year ago but now its 1440p 

thats PC gaming for you 

You would say, so you're only speculating and have no real experience with the GPU?   Once again, you're speculating that a particular GPU is going to to be "useless" when you don't even know what the final optimized performance of SQUAD is going to be.   seriously?  lol

*Note:  the R9 290 is listed as a recommended GPU by OWI on the store page.

1080p is supposedly not ok anymore, but it's still the most widely used resolution for gaming....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/Squad/

System Requirements

• Recommended:
    • OS: Windows 7 SP1 (x64), Windows 8 (x64), Windows 10 (x64)
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Geforce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 35 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: A microphone

Besides the fact that I happen to own a R9 290, and know what it's performance is like in SQUAD when paired with a solid CPU, I'd tend to believe OWI's recommendation on their own game, over some rando on the internet.  lol

16 hours ago, Verdin said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/Squad/

System Requirements

• Recommended:
    • OS: Windows 7 SP1 (x64), Windows 8 (x64), Windows 10 (x64)
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Geforce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 35 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: A microphone

Besides the fact that I happen to own a R9 290, and know what it's performance is like in SQUAD when paired with a solid CPU, I'd tend to believe OWI's recommendation on their own game, over some rando on the internet.  lol

I don't care about the min specs, you're just going to get low frames in squad with a 290 it's as simple as that!!!  

all my guys have upgraded now and it much much much better for them

100 plus frames are easy with 1070 or above, get upgrading!!!

13 minutes ago, ZXD_Lee said:

I don't care about the min specs, you're just going to get low frames in squad with a 290 it's as simple as that!!!  

all my guys have upgraded now and it much much much better for them

100 plus frames are easy with 1070 or above, get upgrading!!!

Recommended specs, not minimum...and I can easily maintain 60+ fps @ 1080p in SQUAD on 80 player servers with my overclocked 4690k. Maybe you consider that low, but I find it rather fluid and quite playable for a secondary rig.

No, it doesn't match the performance of your 1070 or my 980 ti's with a overclocked 4790k...but I find the 290 to be far from "useless" in SQUAD.

The R9 290 is actually still a really good card. The problem with Squad is optimization. I can't believe some people are actually arguing against it. It is an alpha, after all, with basically no real optimization in it.

7 hours ago, Root said:

It is an alpha,

True!

7 hours ago, Root said:

with basically no real optimization in it.

I would wager that the devs who spent hours of their lives performing analysis and pouring over data, then painstakingly going through and fixing assets, code and creating workarounds would disagree strongly with your sentiments. 

A more accurate statement would be:

with only two alpha-stage optimization passes completed.

Feel free to use it next time :) 

On 25/11/2017 at 10:05 PM, moppel said:

Squad patch 9.17

Squad on an 1TB EVO 850

res 2560x1080

Cache cleared after the Update , get even bad FPS in Singelplayer now ( Screenshot shows Al bash in Singelplayer via adminchangemap).

5QGZFSu.jpg

That's very strange.

My situation is:

Squad patch 9.17

FPS: ~85/90 minimum - 130 maximum (single player Al Basrah map)

CPU: i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz÷3.6Ghz

GPU: GTX 980 Ti Strix  1317Mhz max Boost

RAM: 64 GB  in QC 2800Mhz Cl 16

Squad on an 3TB HD 7200 rpm

res 1920x1080

Edited by eagon89

On 25.11.2017 at 10:05 PM, moppel said:

Squad patch 9.17

Squad on an 1TB EVO 850

res 2560x1080

5QGZFSu.jpg

You Sir must have some serious software issues. Running game at 2560x1440 with i5 6600k and a poor GTX970 - mostly have around 70-120 fps with lows of around 40. Settings put on low preset then changed everything to high. Run 3dMark FireStrike (its free) and see if your rig performs properly.

Are you experienced with computers?

@Chew_Kok_Long

I agree. There's no reason his specs should be under performing so horrendously. I'd say corrupt driver install or some bloatware is the cause.

@moppel

Have you tried deleting the Squad file in AppData manually (not through the game!) and then restarting Steam to verify your Squad files? If you have, please considering downloading DDU, restarting your PC into Safe Mode and uninstalling your drivers. Then reboot normally and find the latest drivers for your GPU (W10 & W7 64bit) and install them and reboot again.

If you have already done those steps and found no help from them, then take a look at your computer temps. Is your CPU or GPU heating up? If they look normal, make sure the game isn't starting off Intel intergrated graphics but your GPU. I believe you can do this through the Nvidia control panel. You can also check whether Squad is using iGPU or GPU in %localappdata%\squad log files. 

On 12/7/2017 at 12:15 AM, Psyrus said:

True!

I would wager that the devs who spent hours of their lives performing analysis and pouring over data, then painstakingly going through and fixing assets, code and creating workarounds would disagree strongly with your sentiments. 

A more accurate statement would be:

Feel free to use it next time :) 

They most likely did spend countless hours pouring over data to offer some sort of optimization so that testing the game is actually possible, but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true and trying to disregard my statement by making it seem like I am throwing their work out as nothing is playing at extremes. What they have released now is not what many in the gaming community (the same who attack AAA companies even) would call "real optimization". There hasn't been any real optimization because it is an alpha and it won't get it for a while.

I'll use what I've been saying because isn't inaccurate at all. While they have released some optimization patches, we haven't to this gotten the real optimization yet that comes with beta or even release. I don't see how there is room to argue this. Would you actually call the optimization we have gotten "the real" optimization we're going to get later on when their intent isn't even to offer that just yet (because of alpha status)? No, I should think you wouldn't, unless you have an uber computer and the poor optimization we have right now doesn't bother you whatsoever. -_-

Edited by Root

@Root
As a thread for posting performance measures isn't the best place to have an extended debate about semantics I'll try to answer your questions and close off my points as succinctly as possible. I would PM this to you but I feel like it's a good discourse to have that I can refer other people to later if I want to make the same points without retyping everything. 

I personally believe the meaning of words matter, and while in your second point, you kindly included quotation marks to indicate that you were not referring to the actual meaning of "real", but some definition that you (or in your opinion, the gaming community at large shares) have made up, your original post that I responded to did not. That is why I posted the clarification, because without any clarifying statements or qualifying quotations marks, your statements that no/hardly any real optimization has been implemented is patently incorrect. As a developer and someone who has worked on games (not nearly to the scale of OWI though), I found the notion insulting and hoped that it was not your intention and offered a phrase which I felt expresses what you meant while still being respectful of the work of others. 

10 hours ago, Root said:

Would you actually call the optimization we have gotten "the real" optimization we're going to get later on when their intent isn't even to offer that just yet (because of alpha status)? No, I should think you wouldn't, unless you have an uber computer and the poor optimization we have right now doesn't bother you whatsoever

You are correct in saying that there hasn't been "real" optimizations if you in fact mean final optimization passes, but those two words are in reality fundamentally different, and just because future RC focused optimization passes may occur, it does not detract from the real optimization work that was done to optimize the game in its current state. Looking at what the devs have focused on optimizing so far, the majority of it is applicable all the way to RC (while a small number may be stop gap measures applied to in-progress gameplay elements), but I agree that there should be and probably will be more and perhaps bigger optimization passes in the future. I just take issue with the mischaracterization of someone's work as not "real" :)

-Note to mods: I would be happy to continue the discussion with Root in a different thread if these posts could be moved over, but if this is the end of it and you don't mind the 3-4 back and forth posts, I won't be commenting on the issue anymore as I've said my piece. 

Edited by Psyrus
Added mod note

@Chew the only software issue (in regards of performance)i have on my PC is Squad since i deletet ARK :-p

If you look at the GPU and CPU utilization in this screen you can see GPU utilzation and Clock/Voltagestep --> indicating that there is a massive Bottleneck on the CPU side , looking a CPU utilization my guess would be a drawcall bottleneck but this is just a guess without proper monitoring tools.

@Root when you actually look at the screenshot you`ll see there is neighter a Temp. or a Powerlimit issue.

Sqauds sensitivity for Driver versions is part of this bad performance but iam in iam not willing to choose a particularly one for one alpha title i hardly  play currently.

Windows 10

Geforce Gtx 1050 @2.50ghz

I5-7300HQ 

8gb ram

And if it will run what settings could i play on where id get decent fps (60+ preferably) but minimum fps 30-45

11 minutes ago, Eatenbyghouls said:

Windows 10

Geforce Gtx 1050 @2.50ghz

I5-7300HQ 

8gb ram

And if it will run what settings could i play on where id get decent fps (60+ preferably) but minimum fps 30-45

I have that exact setup on my laptop and I can run Squad at 50-60 fps with rare freezes, on lowest, If you do put the settings up to medium - high you will get around 30-35 fps. 

Posted (edited)

Intel Core i7 6700 / 3.4 GHz Skylake Processor Tray - LGA1151
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - 120mm 9-31dBA
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER - ATX LGA1151
Kingston HyperX FURY - 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 CL14
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black - 11GB
Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 - 3.5″ SATA-600 2TB
Samsung 850 PRO MZ-7KE256BW - 2.5″ SATA-600 256GB
Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer - ATX 

3440x1440 and running 68-100 fps, and a lot of the time its capping my Acer predator x34. The new 1080ti is amazing.

Edited by Voice

I capped my FPS to 60 FPS (I use a Dell U2711), I'm likely getting somewhere in the 70-100 range, never noticed anything below 60, at least.

Playing on Ultra/Epic at 2560x1440, no super-sampling or pre-loading all textures.

Intel i5-760 OC'd to 4GHz (on a stock cooler, and running at great temps!)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5

G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz 

250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC 11G

The 1080ti is truly a beast of a card, I got it from a friend at a (very) low price. Prior to that, I had a GTX 470 and then was gifted a GTX 660, and could only play Squad on minimum settings at 1280x720. In terms of raw FPS, my CPU is likely bottle-necking the card a bit (although from similar builds, it's not too bad), however seeing as my monitor is really the ultimate bottleneck, it doesn't really matter to me.