Alright, first off, I'm just putting this idea out there to let it marinate.  I understand there's a road map and ideas like this probably won't impact dev development path.  But I think it could be an extremely cool idea and want to see what you guys think.

As a mod or DLC, I'd like to see something a little different, and that "different" is a DEA vs Narcos type scenario.  Both factions would have a great assortment of weapons at their disposal (have you seen pics from their raids?), would/could be in some great theaters (Mexico and/or Colombia would be awesome), and could have some game modes that very greatly from our traditional methods.

Here are two potential game modes I thought of that would cater to these factions:

1) Have a map that has 3-4 compounds (or one compound that is randomly placed between 3-4 locations).  At the beginning of a round the drug cartel is "tipped off" that DEA is inbound for a drug raid and that they have to get their compound fortified and ready to dig in (they would only have one location).  The DEA on the other hand doesn't have the exact location of the compound determined but have it "narrowed down" to 3-4 places.  So DEA would start at one end of the map and would have to recon the surroundings and to to figure out where to assault and how best to assault the compound.  To win would be infiltrating the compound and destroying the FOB and all of the drug caches inside.  Maybe even potentially setting fire to buildings/marijuana fields could be possible long down the line?

2) DEA is given intel that a drug cartel is planning a border crossing with an extremely large shipment of drugs.  DEA is only so large and would have to split resources to attempt to cover down on 3-4 border crossing areas/regions.  The cartel would have several trucks/rigs that they could chose to go through one single route or split between multiple entry points.  Winning would/could be getting 50% of the drugs across the border.  Maybe you'd have to have a "real" river on the map to separate the borders so that it wouldn't be too easy for the cartel, and DEA could have machine gun mounted patrol boats to try to cover down faster.

Those modes are just my initial thinking....I'm sure we could go in a lot of depth on either to flush them out more.  Either way, I'd love to see something a little outside the norm after 1.0 drops on us.

So anyone else have thoughts to something like this?   :D

If pressed, here'd be my other options for DLC/mods:

- WWII (damn near everyone wants this)

- North Korea and it's theater

- Russia invades North America    

DEA vs Narcos reminds me of some of the old maps on SOCOM 2 that were set in South America and as the Navy SEALs you'd actually have to plant explosives in the narcos' drug manufacturing facilities, if I remember correctly. So much fun. I'd love a setting like this, especially in some South American jungle landscapes. Imagine Squad CQB in a favela setting. OOF.

Also, a resounding yes to a "Red Dawn" map setting; Russian military force vs. an American civilian irregular force. Preferably set between the 80's and 90's in terms of gear and kit.

Maybe, I wouldn't rule it out as I would love to play this too, but the development side would be extremely difficult for mapping considering the devs plan on making every map session randomize statics within towns, those favelas would be hell to program for 

Maybe, I wouldn't rule it out as I would love to play this too, but the development side would be extremely difficult for mapping considering the devs plan on making every map session randomize statics within towns, those favelas would be hell to program for 

He meant as a mod or DLC after beta is released...

That's what I mean, it is a huge undertaking considering it has less bleed-over than the stuff done for other factions. Like how most of the weapons and vehicles used by the Russian faction can be re-textured and used for other factions, or how the Americans could realistically be used in any theater of combat. The way that Narcos and the DEA dress differ quite a bit from the gear that is being produced by the development team and would require entirely new assets be made by whoever does the mod/dlc. Plus the environment would likely require entirely new assets regardless of which south american country was chosen, and even more if more than one was.  And if a modder or dev wanted it to have randomized statics, that would be ridiculously difficult to program a map based on the favelas of Brazil.

DEA vs Narcos reminds me of some of the old maps on SOCOM 2 that were set in South America and as the Navy SEALs you'd actually have to plant explosives in the narcos' drug manufacturing facilities, if I remember correctly. So much fun. I'd love a setting like this, especially in some South American jungle landscapes. Imagine Squad CQB in a favela setting. OOF.

Also, a resounding yes to a "Red Dawn" map setting; Russian military force vs. an American civilian irregular force. Preferably set between the 80's and 90's in terms of gear and kit.

Never got to play SOCOM/2 but always heard it was good.  Even though a DEA vs Narcos/Cartel would be different, I don't think it would sacrifice fire power/choices. On top of all that, I really want to see additional modes that come off more like missions in a traditional sense.  AAS, while I absolutely love it, is very "gamey" feeling.  Insurgency comes close, but it's just run from one/two points on map to another and hope you can complete all the caches.  Something that feels like a true mission would be amazing, even if they could be at the expense of longer duration modes.  :)

We've talked both these scenarios before you and I, so you know I'd also love the hell out of some "Red Dawn" scenario driven gameplay.  There's so many way we could go with Squad.....I want to see it all dammit.  lmao

Never got to play SOCOM/2 but always heard it was good.  Even though a DEA vs Narcos/Cartel would be different, I don't think it would sacrifice fire power/choices. On top of all that, I really want to see additional modes that come off more like missions in a traditional sense.  AAS, while I absolutely love it, is very "gamey" feeling.  Insurgency comes close, but it's just run from one/two points on map to another and hope you can complete all the caches.  Something that feels like a true mission would be amazing, even if they could be at the expense of longer duration modes. 

Playing as the "good guys" and being the one to plant explosives was always a cool juxtaposition too.

I also agree, AAS is fun when you've got 2 impressive factions that are well designed, look good, feel good to play as and are equally matched. 

But more creative game modes like insurgency.. man. I live for that. Every time that game mode hits on our Squad nights I get HYPE

Never got to play SOCOM/2 but always heard it was good.  Even though a DEA vs Narcos/Cartel would be different, I don't think it would sacrifice fire power/choices. On top of all that, I really want to see additional modes that come off more like missions in a traditional sense.  AAS, while I absolutely love it, is very "gamey" feeling.  Insurgency comes close, but it's just run from one/two points on map to another and hope you can complete all the caches.  Something that feels like a true mission would be amazing, even if they could be at the expense of longer duration modes.   :)

We've talked both these scenarios before you and I, so you know I'd also love the hell out of some "Red Dawn" scenario driven gameplay.  There's so many way we could go with Squad.....I want to see it all dammit.  lmao

ONE DAY YOU WILL.

sorry, double post. 

That's what I mean, it is a huge undertaking considering it has less bleed-over than the stuff done for other factions. Like how most of the weapons and vehicles used by the Russian faction can be re-textured and used for other factions, or how the Americans could realistically be used in any theater of combat. The way that Narcos and the DEA dress differ quite a bit from the gear that is being produced by the development team and would require entirely new assets be made by whoever does the mod/dlc. Plus the environment would likely require entirely new assets regardless of which south american country was chosen, and even more if more than one was.  And if a modder or dev wanted it to have randomized statics, that would be ridiculously difficult to program a map based on the favelas of Brazil.

All valid points for sure and why ultimately I think it would need to be some sort of DLC type of thing.  Now, I would say the weapons could all be reused from current/future 1.0 factions.  If you look at a lot of the DEA pics they come off as very militarized.  And if you look at a lot of the cartel raid pictures, DEA capture a lot of AK's, M4's, M16's.  But you're absolutely right that the theaters would require a lot of assets.  But true DLC to me would push those boundaries and create additional assets for new theaters (not reuse "old" assets and create theaters that already look familiar to us) and factions.

Again, this is probably a damn pipe dream.....but I think it would be quite fun and would provide a logical reason for providing theaters in Mexico/Colombia/other South American terrain.  :D

When I was talking about gear I meant player models, you'd need quite a few for each faction considering they both have no standardized uniform or load-out, each man gets to choose his own gear y'know? For this to actually feel good they could just add a system like DayZ which allows combinations of vests and clothing, albeit you would't have to find them first. The vest and headgear type would need to class restricted for visual class identification, and the patterns could be faction restricted too with some overlaps.

Example:

- Riflemen get helmets

- SL, GL, and Breacher all get hats with a visor (ball caps patrol caps)

- Marksmen and Spotters get boonie hats

- Narcos get to wear shorts and sandals as their uniforms (customizable)

- DEA get pants

-Pant and short options for both factions will be similar, each having 2 or three camo styles (different between factions) jeans (yes jean shorts) and normal cargos (in green, black, and khaki)

-Shirt options would include tactical shirts for the DEA, Hoodies and T-shirts for both, and wife beater or bare chested for the Narcos.

This could also be all random just to reduce server load. (as in pre-paired model texture combos to remove custom gear loadouts)

As for weapons, both sides would need to be given plenty of options.

DEA

- DD MK 18

- HK MP-__

- HK 416

- M4A_

- M249

- M1018

- M203

Narcos

- AK-__

- HK G36

- G3

- MP5_

- PKP

- RPG

- M79

- ASSTD Shotguns

Just to throw some actual concepts out there

Again, this is probably a damn pipe dream.....

It's not. 

The faith I have in the modding community is immense. Which is why I am so adamant about telling people: SUPPORT THE MODDING TEAMS.

A 303RD member is actually chomping at the bit right now to begin working on a modern Ukrainian faction. He's got prior modding experience.

When I was talking about gear I meant player models, you'd need quite a few for each faction considering they both have no standardized uniform or load-out, each man gets to choose his own gear y'know? 

Oh yeah, most definitely.  But DLC I think will demand that level of asset creation to justify a price tag.  I don't think DEA would be that hard, i mean just type "DEA drug war" and there's freaking tons of options.  A cartel I don't think would be that hard either.  Either way, I agree with you.....but I think to get people to part with their cash again I think the devs (if we're strictly talking of DLC atm) need to make sure it's not a total reuse of assets.   :)

It's not. 

The faith I have in the modding community is immense. Which is why I am so adamant about telling people: SUPPORT THE MODDING TEAMS.

A 303RD member is actually chomping at the bit right now to begin working on a modern Ukrainian faction. He's got prior modding experience.

I have a huge amount of faith in them as well.  I'm just not sure what the community interest in something like DEA vs Narcos would be.  Some people might think it very niche.  But, given some years I'm sure we'll have a lot of playground at our keyboards and mice.  :D

I have a huge amount of faith in them as well.  I'm just not sure what the community interest in something like DEA vs Narcos would be.  Some people might think it very niche.  But, given some years I'm sure we'll have a lot of playground at our keyboards and mice.   :D

In my opinion, if a modder is passionate enough about a project, they'll undertake it regardless of how many people seem interested in it.

I think the best way to get support for a mod is to simply put work in and have something to show. You gotta really sell it. 

In my opinion, if a modder is passionate enough about a project, they'll undertake it regardless of how many people seem interested in it.

I think the best way to get support for a mod is to simply put work in and have something to show. You gotta really sell it. 

Selling is about all I can do.....cause I got no skills in that realm.  lmao

Selling is about all I can do.....cause I got no skills in that realm.  lmao

Me neither. But I do have some mapping skills at Hammer World Editor for Source Engine games, though not sure how well that translates to the asset based structure of the maps so far in Squad. My brush skills might be lost on this engine

Me neither. But I do have some mapping skills at Hammer World Editor for Source Engine games, though not sure how well that translates to the asset based structure of the maps so far in Squad. My brush skills might be lost on this engine

When I get stationed in Korea middle next year I def want to dig in with the UE4 editor if Squad League doesn't consume too much time.  :D  But most of the mappers will be at the mercy of using that assets that the dev team has created until mod teams can start cranking out those assets.  

1st Cavalry? 

I would love to see something like that. Good days in SOCOM. The potential for Squad to not only be this big conventional warfare game but also a smaller scale tactics is def there. You can do whatever the frik you want with the Unreal Engine that you couldn't on the BF2. They could make an RTS if they so felt inclined. 

1st Cavalry?

I would love to see something like that. Good days in SOCOM. The potential for Squad to not only be this big conventional warfare game but also a smaller scale tactics is def there. You can do whatever the frik you want with the Unreal Engine that you couldn't on the BF2. They could make an RTS if they so felt inclined.

I created a suggestion thread a long time ago for an RTS type of mode. :) Essentially create the FPS version of company of heroes.

But yeah, I can't see "DEA vs Narcos" doing 50v50. Would probably be more of a 27v27 type of thing (essentially 3 squads per team). Big matches are fun but I typically prefer the smaller numbered games......it feels more "intimate." The big matches usually just feel like a giant cluster fuck. (Granted a year down the line and with great clan play that could change.)

UE4 is free to download, Autodesk has a free not-for-profit version of Maya, and there are tons of tuts on YouTube. ;)

UE4 is free to download, Autodesk has a free not-for-profit version of Maya, and there are tons of tuts on YouTube. ;)

So many things in life to do, so little time.  :P  

I'v had this same idea for awhile now, hope something like this happens.

Did you have any other ideas for modes or locations? :D I'd love to hear more ideas around something like this.

If only SolidWorks worked for gaming. Unfortunately thats the only modelling program I can afford to spend time learning.

Soon as modding is open to the community I should have some more free time and would love to help with this. Love the whole idea.