FishMan

Microrealism feature.

Hi. Modern engines are allowing to make surfaces covered in dirt, mud, make them wet and whatever so it will be cool if there be such microrealism in squad.

For example if you swam your character should become wet, if you crawled on the dirty road your clothing from the front side should become dusty, if you ran through a puddle your boots should become covered in mud.

Same is for vehicles. 

You can use vertex colors and some masks for that...

Another feature is that the vegetation around buring vehicles should burn too like it was in FarCry3 and 4 i think it will be very cool if you implement this feature.

I don't know Unreal Engine very well, but i think you can use some spherical actor (entity, function or whatever it called in Unreal) for that, this actor should spawn and start slowly to expands, all materials that gets inside this sphere should transition to burned state also you can spawn a fire burning effects (with limited life time) in the random spot inside this sphere. After the burning ends all materials should stay in burned state. 

Well something like that...

You can go crazy with that and made that skin of dead solders can become pale or do the puddles dry up when the weather changes like in the end of video bellow...

The grass can disappear in the area where was an exlpodion, the leaves can fly off from a tree if an RPG hit it,

and whatever...

Edited by FishMan

Thats what THOSE particular engines can do, look up what Unreal 4 engine can do.

I think the biggest issue here isn't if it can/can't be done, but can it be done on the scale which Squad is aiming for. I'd guess this times 100 players could really hit performance hard vs. like 16 to 32 players on an average game that might employ these kind of features.

Awesome stuff though, really would be neat :D

Well pretty much the same actually...

*snip*

I applaud you for researching and finding data that backs up your claims.

The burning in Far Cry was actually one of the main reasons I loved that game... maybe that's a problem.... anyways, it would be neat, but I think a developer would have to answer more specifically on if the concept is attainable while still maintaining good performance on a full-capacity server. Unless there was a way to scale back the effects as the servers become more populated... but I think that would classify it as a back-burner addition if it isn't fully possible.

I will never buy battlefront 2, but this hyperrealism mod makes it look better then the movies...

Well have you seen what Unreal Engine is capable for?

Watch this dude's channel for more...

please give us the money for a stable of artists.....   ;(

I hope after December 15, you will have the money you need... :)

Also you can do an outsorce any time, for example you can hire a studio where i'am working at (Sperasoft) )

Well have you seen what Unreal Engine is capable for?

Watch this dude's channel for more...

I hope after December 15, you will have the money you need... :)

Also you can do an outsorce any time, for example you can hire a studio where i'am working at (Sperasoft) )

one thing that drive us nuts about ue4 is when they feature these techs which have nothing to do with scale of executiin.. 

oh yeah!  you did a single room or house with great lighting or you made ONE beach with tesselation...   lol.. cest la vie!

I mean, pfft... you guys could easily do that in a game and if I don't have that same detail I'll loose all faith in Squad.  You'd just have to ditch the dynamic environments, 50v50, 4km maps, double employees, cut support lifespan of game in half, etc etc... it doesn't matter what else because all I want is AAA graphics!

Did I lay it on too thick?  I do have to say that mod looks awesome, even if it does "drain around 30-40 FPS", and Substance is really, really fun to play with.

lol @dank

Those videos have me wondering if UE4 is more of a demo engine instead of a game engine. I understand for business purposes that Epic would want UE4 to fill as many applications as possible. I just hope we can get 100p servers with the kind of performance we expect form modern games with modern hardware.

... I just hope we can get 100p servers with the kind of performance we expect form modern games with modern hardware.

I don't doubt Squad devs will make it to a stable 50v50 setup.  I'm just curious what it will cost to strike that balance, or if it will cost anything at all -- cost in terms of features.

If only the beautiful and the practical could bear offspring

^^  Yep, most of those fancy things an indy team will be able to do one day but specialty features of one engine won't be it, for a long time.  Hell, there's that one dude who's spent nearly a decade working on a single free-running humanoid-bunny model, rig, animations and physics.  Granted his was badass with free-look, rolls, flips, wall jumps, climbing, drop rolls, great rag-doll physics etc.  Reminded me of Jedi Outcast

this is what i want! @ 0:28

from this old thread

Edited by gunbattle

Foliage bending was announced.

Yay! We gonna get new grass icons!

This dude was in the developers team, I dont know his current status.

By the way i forget to mention in my previous post that "Impromptu Fire Propagation System" can be bought from unreal market.

Edited by FishMan

1 hour ago, FishMan said:

Yay! We gonna get new grass icons!

This dude was in the developers team, I dont know his current status.

By the way i forget to mention in my previous post that "Impromptu Fire Propagation System" can be bought from unreal market.

Tooner is one hell of a tinkerer.

He left the team though, school and life got in the way.

An old topic but I didn't see this before. I think it would be pretty awesome to have this sort of stuff in game though I totally understand if the budget just isn't there or if the developers just can't/won't implement it because I'm sure this type of stuff takes a lot of time. I know it really adds an extra level of immersion in War Thunder when you go through a ditch and your tank gets covered in mud, or when you're playing on a desert map and by the end of the match your tank is just covered in sand and becomes extremely well camouflaged with the environment regardless of what paint scheme you went into the battle with.

As for the fire, that would be cool, but I'm not sure how important of a thing it would be in a game like Squad where there aren't any fire-based weapons. It's an awesome mechanic, but whether or not it's worth the time to add such a feature is up for debate. However, I do think explosions removing grass and making shell craters would be awesome. I hate the standard hole-like texture that has no real depth and would much prefer to have the ability to take shelter in a freshly-dug fox hole made by an enemy mortar.

As for the fire, that would be cool, but I'm not sure how important of a thing it would be in a game like Squad where there aren't any fire-based weapons. It's an awesome mechanic, but whether or not it's worth the time to add such a feature is up for debate.

Well imagine a tank get hit and exploded in the middle of the field and then all grass around begin to burn...

Edited by FishMan

Great idea for Squad. Moreover, it has already been implemented by other people. Nothing prevents to try to do something similar in Squad. BIG UP!

1 hour ago, Chap said:

Great idea for Squad. Moreover, it has already been implemented by other people. Nothing prevents to try to do something similar in Squad. BIG UP!

Only maybe network replication and acceptable performance...