Sign in to follow this  
l33t360noscope99

Running Squad on potato PC - can you beat this?

Ok I overdid it with the last post. And the username. I forgive you for hiding that ;)

IT challenged us (internally) to find the crappiest hardware that would run Squad to finetune the new graphics settings. And I managed to run it on a system so weak I would not have thought it possible. Of course playing is only possible when looking at the sky all the time.

OvYgIb7.jpg

I challenge you all to run squad on a weaker system than this!

my lowest spec so far was a Q8200 and a HD5450 GDDR3 512MB

I also got the game to start in single player on a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, not exactly sure of the specs on that notebook.  Could not handle multiplayer.

The main challenge here is the memory. A slower CPU/GPU will decrease your FPS and increase loading time, but it will not crash. So the Yoga with 8GB memory is not too impressive.

Running out of memory will crash you though.

TRimnAF.jpg

I "fixed" it by manually increasing pagefile and running Squad from an external harddrive, so the primary HDD would only be used as memory extension.

Then I allocated 1GB of the memory as shared memory to the GPU (in BIOS). So there is only 1 GB of memory left.

The Squad.exe in that configuration is only ~700mb, the rest is in pagefile.

This is the system in question "high end graphics" http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t61p/

Multiplayer works though. I believe. The map didnt show up yet. lol.

Edit: Update: I spawned! Join me now on Seattle server!

Voip working confirmed

I will try on my old portable after steam 2.7 dual core/4GB/9600M GT.....

You get 45FPS looking at the sky but how much looking to the middle with 50 players on?

Whats does remotely entail - its just a screen?

technically im just streaming it lol it was a joke, thats why i made it tiny text.

but I can plug in my USB adapter and hub and use my keyboard and mouse on the tablet and play on it lol.

when I tap the screen it shoots

Nice picture Desmo. I totally missed that the first time it was posted.

You dont need DX11. An 8 years old mobile GPU does not have that either. The only thing you really need is a 64-bit variant of Windows, which of course requires a 64 bit CPU. Everything else can be tweaked.

I will try on my old portable after steam 2.7 dual core/4GB/9600M GT.....

You get 45FPS looking at the sky but how much looking to the middle with 50 players on?

I have to correct you. I get 22 FPS when looking at the sky. Looking at the middle of the map I usually get between 0.1 and 5 FPS. But that is because using a harddrive as Ram is really slow.

.....and this is the word from an expert in the field and what his thoughts of all this is.......

ohgreat.jpg