CMBelite-FR

Escape from Tarkov

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it looks ok but I'm not super impressed. I'm kind of getting fatigued with all of these close quarters game where every enemy you kill is like 10 feet away from you. At this point I think it's over done. Feels like metra a bit too much for my taste. Multiplayer will probably feel like insurgency but in a different setting.

I think squad stands out with its long range engagements, where you don't always have a clear view of the enemy. This is more realistic in my opinion.

The only thing that this game has that I want implemented in Squad is how those scopes work. When you aim down a scope in alot of games (including Squad at the moment) its basiclly a normal sight, but the whole camera (player perspective) gets magnified by X times. But in this game, the player FOV stays the same, and only the FOV inside the scope gets magnified. This is a really cool feature that I've wanted games to have for a long time.

I hope the devs have something like this in mind and that the engine doesn't prevent something like this from happening.

EDIT: Heh, maybe I should read through other replies before posting my own. The video that keybardwarrior linked is exactly what I was talking about. :P

An earlier Version of Squad had a 3D Scope and with weapon sway:

I wonder why the developers changed it.

Back then it were performance reason I believe.

Completely mistook unity for unreal engine.

Probably from my limited experience, but I feel the somewhat opposite. The games dont have enough weapon sway. But it's also probably due to me being small build with a pretty heavy system. Seeing your location is in america, the m4 is pretty light and you're probably a big tall dude.

Rifles aren't very heavy. Sure you get those old long rifles that might be hefty to keep up but you really shouldn't be toting those around a city that is claustrophic, you probably live in the 1700 - early 1900s and should probably be using a sword to clear something :P 

American but just under 6 foot Korean heritage so I am not big :P (for a "normal" American anyways) 

The only time you will ever have massive amounts of sway with your rifle is if you are out of breath and not trying to keep it under control, that is the only time you will have massive amounts. The main problem is when you are holding your rifle up for a long time looking at something and you don't have something to rest on it, even holding two pounds out of your body gets pretty hard after a few minutes. You are talking about weapons 6 - 8 pounds that are held quite close to the body with both arms. It would probably take a good 20 - 30 minutes for your arms to get tired of holding it up enough to start seriously effecting sway without trying to stop it. 

Seriously most games have too much weapon sway. I can hold a target at 100 yards with the sway staying in the middle two rings without trying to keep it steady, I can keep the sway under control in the circle target at 300 without trying and I don't really try to shoot more than 300 yards away. The majority of sway you would experience as a shooter is going to be when you breath because your chest is moving and the gun is on your chestish but you can still compensate. The problem with games is that automatic compensation that should already be taken into account is never added in. 

This has been my experience with my rifles, I have some bolt action that are heavier than my AR15 and even my AR10. Sway is too exaggerated in this game, it is exaggerated in every game. 

Actually we have built in stabilisation in the form of our eyes - if you focus on an object and move your head around - where does that object say? does it jog around, or do your eyes follow it?

Player Head camera seems to sway more caused by body movements-

@3:50 The player camera seems to sway from side to side when moving about. In squad, the player camera feels quite static even when running.

This cannot be in-game... at 2:22 when the magazine is droped and bounce on the ground at the first time, a little rock is trown away, and when the magazine lands on the ground all the debris on the ground move with the magazine.

though you can expect the animations in game to be nearly as fluid as in the trailer, iirc they motion captured everything, which instantly adds like 50% to the overall feel/immersion

Knowing the previous work of these developers as I do, I personally wouldn't put much stock in the trailers.

They have a 5 year old FPS (Contract Wars) they did for the browser in Unity that is well, rather interesting.  In 5 years of ongoing active development, they have yet to finish the game.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/254-contract-wars

They're also trying to make Contract Wars a standalone title on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=378327686

I'm not attmepting to cast a negative light on the game or its developers, I just recommend doing A LOT of research and examining this company's track record before buying into this.

There really is nothing in there that peaks my interest, just your standard FPS, shoot a enemy 5 times and still he walks on, weapons have almost no recoil and sound plain bad. And worst of all, no teamplay, just you vs the enemy.

There really is nothing in there that peaks my interest, just your standard FPS, shoot a enemy 5 times and still he walks on, weapons have almost no recoil and sound plain bad. And worst of all, no teamplay, just you vs the enemy.

damage can be tweaked by changing a few values, however great looking animations are not as easy to create!

saying the game is not interesting just because people do not die from 1-2 hits, gun recoil, gun sounds etc. is silly as this all can be changed quite easily.

for me EFT's core gunplay looks absolutely fantastic and realistic, which could be taken as an inspiration by the dev's to make SQUAD a better game,

if i see right this was actually the OP's intention, to show the dev's a few examples of what can be improved in SQUAD.

Rifles aren't very heavy. Sure you get those old long rifles that might be hefty to keep up but you really shouldn't be toting those around a city that is claustrophic, you probably live in the 1700 - early 1900s and should probably be using a sword to clear something :P

American but just under 6 foot Korean heritage so I am not big :P (for a "normal" American anyways) 

The only time you will ever have massive amounts of sway with your rifle is if you are out of breath and not trying to keep it under control, that is the only time you will have massive amounts. The main problem is when you are holding your rifle up for a long time looking at something and you don't have something to rest on it, even holding two pounds out of your body gets pretty hard after a few minutes. You are talking about weapons 6 - 8 pounds that are held quite close to the body with both arms. It would probably take a good 20 - 30 minutes for your arms to get tired of holding it up enough to start seriously effecting sway without trying to stop it. 

Seriously most games have too much weapon sway. I can hold a target at 100 yards with the sway staying in the middle two rings without trying to keep it steady, I can keep the sway under control in the circle target at 300 without trying and I don't really try to shoot more than 300 yards away. The majority of sway you would experience as a shooter is going to be when you breath because your chest is moving and the gun is on your chestish but you can still compensate. The problem with games is that automatic compensation that should already be taken into account is never added in. 

This has been my experience with my rifles, I have some bolt action that are heavier than my AR15 and even my AR10. Sway is too exaggerated in this game, it is exaggerated in every game. 

AMEN brother!

Thanks for the tip SSIXS. When I first heard of the game I didn't realize it would be MMO/Survival based as you don't get that impression from the vids. It just looked like CoD gameplay. The actual idea has me interested though and I had signed up for the beta.

Your info on the devs previous game has me rethinking what they can achieve. Contract Wars really does play like CoD but with character leveling it seem. The devs said it would be out this year but also don't appear to have made any announcements since 4th August. Maybe they switched their attention to Escape from Tarkov to take advantage of the popularity of survival games basing the game off of Contract Wars as they're both set in Tarkov. Hmm <_< 

Personally I am not ready to board the hype train yet. I'll catch the next one but will be watching the timetable all the same. I really do hope the devs can pull it off as it sounds a lot of fun to play.

That's what I saw watching the vids but in fact EFT has a persistent survival element that doesn't get shown. More like DayZ crossed with CoD but no zombies. The game looks like it's based off the developers previous title Contract Wars that has been in development for the last 5 years so you would expect they've polished their gun play by now.

You guys get ALL wrong. This is a MMO/RPG game focused in the Campaign/Story, where you have to level up, earn points, develop skills, etc. This game is heavily based on tactics and teamwork, since when you die, you lost everything and had to start from the beginning.

I will quote here 3 Dev's statemant to clarify somethings.

All weapons featured in the game are absolutely real and have truly lifelike physical properties. They get misaligned, jam and malfunction in all sorts of ways. We guarantee you hadn’t seen anything like this before. As for nonexistent exotic guns like railguns and stuff, we’re not going to introduce any. Realism all the way.

When you die in the raid, you lose all equipment, except for the money in the secure containers [which are organized outside of raids and act as a private stash for each player]. First, by playing with partners you get to upgrade you skills together (in a hivemind manner). Second, you can communicate with them either via preset radio commands (loot found, enemy spotted, get the door, exit found etc) or your own voice on the microphone. Some of the scenarios specifically require teamplay, as some of the actions will need at least two persons to perform. Third, more guns (especially tactically advantageous ones) can make that very difference that will get you through scenario alive. And finally, more hands mean more loot!

Tarkov is the fictional financial and industrial capital of Northern Russia, set in the present time of an alternate history. Due to certain events, caused by illegal activities of Terra Group transnational corporation, a conflict emerges between two private military companies, and in the wake of this conflict, the destabilization of the region escalates for no apparent reason. The player’s character becomes entangled in the knot of incomprehensible events in downtown Tarkov, and has to find the way out before the imminent downfall. The city is crawling with local raiders, employees of hostile PMC, peacekeepers and a host of shady characters of unclear loyalties pursuing unknown goals. Everything about Tarkov events is deeply realistic, there was no mysterious cataclysm or alien invasion. We intend to create a world on the brink of civilization’s collapse due to human factors as a background story for Russia 2028 universe. The events that take place in Escape From Tarkov shall lead to war that will throw society into the neo-feudalism. The player’s character is at the center of these events, whose greatest interest, aside escaping from Tarkov, is to figure out what is happening not only in the city, but in the outside world as well.

What I'am seeing on the Web is a whole lot of people calling the gunplay "COD", because people put somehow in their mind that Quick/Responsive = COD, and Clunky/Complicated = Realist, and when people see an AK-74 not climbing like hell, they say "hurr durr no recoil", people really think that realistic recoil is exaggerated vertical recoil.

An interesting approach for sure.

"the destabilization of the region escalates for no apparent reason."

They could really put a bit more effort into that backstory lol

Lmao, good point.

Lmao, good point.

There is probably some backstory they don't want revealed until the game comes out. Considering the game is about escape the plot likely revolves around discovering the backstory...

Does anyone else think that when streamers/YouTubers just talk over a trailer it feels a bit like they are fishing for access? The trailers themselves have done all the talking.

Not sure I am 100% behind your comment. I first heard of Squad by watching Jack Frags and thought that's a game I am interested in. He was playing the game and was invited by the devs though. Talking over trailers could be just getting the message out there about the game and obviously revenue from watches. YouTubers have a lot to offer devs in the way of advertising if they're popular. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Not sure I am 100% behind your comment. I first heard of Squad by watching Jack Frags and thought that's a game I am interested in. He was playing the game and was invited by the devs though. Talking over trailers could be just getting the message out there about the game and obviously revenue from watches. YouTubers have a lot to offer devs in the way of advertising if they're popular. It's a symbiotic relationship.

I first heard about Squad from Bluedrake and I can't stand the guy. I don't watch YouTubers/streamers because I like them, they just get exclusives over the masses. Anyone can talk over a trailer though and I think it's nearly as bad as the latest trend of watching YouTubers rant over their Webcam. Let's wait and see who gets a first go on EFT, I bet Jack and PSI will be in that group.

Also take this game with a bit of salt, they've been working on 2 other games before that did not finnished and became a P2W. But well see in the future how it goes. So far it looks a lot better than their previous games so who knows.