Sign in to follow this  
Valmont

Lowered Weapon Stance, Bushes Moving while walking and other features explained in another engine.

Since this has been discussed alot here in the forums, I found a video of one of the Devs from the game Miscreated explaining why and how they implemented these features:

-Lower/Raised weapons stances (Togleable) 

-Movement and sound of bushes while a player is walking though them.

The video is quite long but the important part (relevant to this topic) can be found from the first 7 minutes of the video so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

Luckily this will give the devs some idea of how another open world devs added/implemented these features and wheter those are or aren't done the right way for Squad.  

As we all know... hiding in the bushes in PR is kinda imbalanced compared to real life... in real life you would be easily spoted if you are moving inside a bush and loose your concealment while in PR this strategy is extremely useful.

Cheers

Sorry, this has already been covered by previous threads.

Devs will add in weapon lowering later in development.

Animated bushes seems unlikely due to the huge scale of the maps, but this is not confirmed.

Animated bushes seems unlikely due to the huge scale of the maps, but this is not confirmed.

Thanks Nightingale... my point was showing this in another (Open world) game to give Devs some Ideas.

Also... the game (Showcased on my first post) featuring the Animated Bushes, even thou it is on the Cryengine, also features huge scale maps (64 Square KM) so if it can be done on the Cryengine I am sure it can be done on the unreal engine. 

He's not suggesting the Devs add this immediately he's providing a video of a different game's devblog. I'm sure it's appreciated but we have a fairly professional dev team and I'm sure they can handle making another set of beautiful animations.

Since the bush animation's network relevancy would only be about a 100m radius, I don't think it would be too much of a server drain. Making the bush shiver by shaking the object (client side) ever so slightly thorough code would work reasonably well and wouldn't require new animations.

Ah, my bad. At first I thought it was one of those "list of suggestions" threads where the OP never replies to any of the comments that we see so often in the suggestions subforum.

@Psyrus
But won't the server have to keep track of the status of every single bush in the entire level constantly? Not all of this info will be sent constantly to all clients on the server due to the ~100m radius, but my intuition is telling me that the server won't like dealing with a level that has 5000 bushes in it, especially if each bush could have a non-boolean status (eg. no player, slight disturbance, medium disturbance, large disturbance). I dunno though. I'm just a level designing dude.

Those bushes don't need to be animated indivdually and an animated bush which is far away won't be taxed on your client right? So I would assume that adding these visual features sure add some realism to the game. Generally I think that the environment could be somewhat dynamic in the sense that static objects and their materials could have animations to them such as waving/moving grass, water splashes when crossing though a river or water puddles. Performance must be the only limitation in that case and as you said those things do contribute to the servers load like you said.

I honestly have no clue though and I'm sure you know better since you've been designing levels already.

@Psyrus

But won't the server have to keep track of the status of every single bush in the entire level constantly? Not all of this info will be sent constantly to all clients on the server due to the ~100m radius, but my intuition is telling me that the server won't like dealing with a level that has 5000 bushes in it, especially if each bush could have a non-boolean status (eg. no player, slight disturbance, medium disturbance, large disturbance). I dunno though. I'm just a level designing dude.

Are you familiar with events driven programming? Rather than polling each bush every x milliseconds, you just set up a listener which will wait for a bush to send it an overlap event. 

If you have 15 minutes, it is an interesting read (or maybe just to programmers :p)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_(computing)

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Event_handling

And honestly, since it is mostly an aesthetic thing, it could potentially be handled entirely client side.. there wouldn't necessarily need to be any server interaction since the server is determining the player positions and your client already knows the fixed location of the bush, so all clients would replicate it on their own without a server flag being sent. 

For this particular issue of what is realistic when asking for networked objects, this blueprint networking tutorial is golden:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gYwhBTjNLSFPRiBpwe5sTwc

I can't pretend to know what the article is talking about (literally the most I can program is to make a while(condition) loop in C, because I had to for school, lol) but it's cool to see that there is an alternative to constantly checking every single bush in the level! Thanks for sharing.

And animated bushes don't need to impose any load on the server after all, since it can be deduced purely from position, like you said.

I wonder how many interactive (animate-able) bush actors can be displayed on the screen at one time? I wonder if there are any UE4 games that have large swaths of interactive foliage placed in huge multiplayer levels with huge viewdists with realtime lighting?