InsaneDane

Special Forces

It would be good to have limited number of SF with special abilities and/or kits to accomplish "special"  tasks.

For example:

- call an airstrike with SOFLAMs against static objs

- Night missions with NVGs  and IR equipment for hostage rescue or HVT assasination

It could be done with every playable faction  , even talibans and mercs.

All of you wanting SpecOps; how do you imagine this playing out?

Let's say you have your 4-man team on a map. It will be as coveted as CAS or sniper in PR.

Four out of fifty players. First come, first served? Whoever checks the box quickest?

When you don't get the part, you leave server?

If this idea ever gets realized I hope it's a random selection.

Same should be for snipers for that matter. Game randomly pickes a player to SL the two-man squad. Selected player can decline and game randomly selects another prospect for the part.

Refer to my post above yours for an idea.

Let's say you have your 4-man team on a map. It will be as coveted as CAS or sniper in PR.

Four out of fifty players. First come, first served? Whoever checks the box quickest?

When you don't get the part, you leave server?

If this idea ever gets realized I hope it's a random selection.

Same should be for snipers for that matter. Game randomly pickes a player to SL the two-man squad. Selected player can decline and game randomly selects another prospect for the part.

First i dont think everyones want the be special, everyone i know wants to be a fucking front pig and for me i love it. 

And i think the majority in this community is fine with a normal infantry grunt.

In PR i only want to play as infantry when there was no place in infantry squads, so  i played as whatever the team needs as long as i know i can handle the role.

I dont think thats something wrong with the old solution, the little group who wants to fly or something special should run for it. 

Because over time you get good players at that roles and not everyone likes them or can handle them.

And for me i never saw someone who changed the server for a role/kit, more for good players overall he wants to play with ;).

But i hope it will give support roles like JTAC`S , pioniers, tankdrivers,pilots, breachers or snipers for more tactical bandwith and more planing options.

But only in missions/level`s that make sense to have it.

And the rest can form their squad like their needs, a LAT squad, a AT squad, a corpsmen squad, heavy weapon squad and so on.

This should be all possible with the kits/roles you can pick, so if your squadleader want a riflemen squad he tell his mates what roles they should pick and boom you are special ;).

But thats only my thoughts on this.

quoting so people itt actually see it..

Hehe read it mate. I'm not really for anything away from general game,

20 vs 20 etc.

But yeah, modders can probably do what they want. Only real concern of mine is segregation of playerbase ala Arma.

Hehe read it mate. I'm not really for anything away from general game,

20 vs 20 etc.

But yeah, modders can probably do what they want. Only real concern of mine is segregation of playerbase ala Arma.

I designed it so it could be scaled up or down in relation to player count! And, if I may, if we're all playing Squad, what's this talk of segregation?

My recommendation to every single person that wants special forces in Squad:

Support the mod teams that will inevitably form to bring Arma style PvE game modes to Squad. Support those people 100%.

Good call!

What if special equipment was only given out as a result of severe team imbalance?

So when 20 ppl are on US and 10 on Ins, the insurgents get some suppressors or better weapons until the teams balance.

There are some ways you could game it, but I think its an interesting idea.

How about we just don't add special forces and say we didn't. We already have enough "special" squads already, and this is still prior to steam release.

How about we just don't add special forces and say we didn't. We already have enough "special" squads already, and this is still prior to steam release.

Unpopular opinion: SF can be represented without being stupid-levels of OP, or have cringe worthy try-hard loadouts.

If I may, my opinion is that if Squad were to have SF units based on units from older conflicts, say, from the snake eaters of vietnam to the silent professionals during the Gulf War, and all the cool places in between within that time frame.. we could set up quite an awesome offering of interesting game modes, factions and maps and have it be reasonable.

I feel like too many folks want SF characters and kits but dont think equally as hard about appropriate maps and game modes to go with them.

US team 8 people. Insurgents 18. Map with denser stuff and not many open areas so the 8 peoples live. Suppressors so it is hard to hear them when they fire indoors. Capture a person or assassinate the insurgent leader. That seems like an interesting game mode. 

Just going to say that my reply on Iron's gamemode thread is my opinion on this. To go into detail, I would be fine with non-(VIDEO) SOF such as 75th Rangers, Marine Recon and British Paras. I think Hollywood and Call Of Duty have caused the term of and anything related to "Special Operations Forces" to be automatically associated by most people with lone wolf/4 man team Jack Bauer DEVGRU doomsday stoppers. This simply isn't the case. If the game were to implement Rangers, for example, they could easily use the same numbers and balancing they have now, if not just slightly smaller. If there is a decent sized battle, there's nothing at all ridiculous about 30-50 Rangers or comparable SOF being involved. The biggest differences would mostly be aesthetics of the character models, the weapons they use (SCAR 17 and HK416), and the vehicles/insertion methods.

Yeah, SF != COD or Advanced Warfighter.

Its reasonably accessible premium kit. Used in conjunction with a challenging and appropriately balanced gamemode, I think it could be swell. No it shouldnt be 50v50 suppressed SCARs or whatever. But the US Armed forces has increased significantly in size in the last 15 years, due to the fact they we've been fighting a counter insurgency. ~27000 Green Berets are active. 6000 Seals. 1500 Members of MARSOC. They're around. And theyre trained for use in counter-insurgencies. So. That means vs Insurgents.

I like the idea of 8 Rangers hunting down a VIP with a numerically heavy attache. That sounds brilliant, since there are less attackers, and yet only 1 person needs to die to make them win. Carry it further; If the VIP is killed, then the Rangers now need to escape alive. If all the Rangers die, then they lose, even if the VIP is hit.

I'm sure its mod territory, but thats fine. :)

Yeah, SF != COD or Advanced Warfighter.

Its reasonably accessible premium kit. Used in conjunction with a challenging and appropriately balanced gamemode, I think it could be swell. No it shouldnt be 50v50 suppressed SCARs or whatever. But the US Armed forces has increased significantly in size in the last 15 years, due to the fact they we've been fighting a counter insurgency. ~27000 Green Berets are active. 6000 Seals. 1500 Members of MARSOC. They're around. And theyre trained for use in counter-insurgencies. So. That means vs Insurgents.

I like the idea of 8 Rangers hunting down a VIP with a numerically heavy attache. That sounds brilliant, since there are less attackers, and yet only 1 person needs to die to make them win. Carry it further; If the VIP is killed, then the Rangers now need to escape alive. If all the Rangers die, then they lose, even if the VIP is hit.

I'm sure its mod territory, but thats fine. :)

You could even stretch it to normal 50v50. There's really no reason it would be any different than the current layout, beyond aesthetics.

On 4.12.2015 at 4:56 AM, unfrail said:

~27000 Green Berets are active. 6000 Seals. 1500 Members of MARSOC.

You should double-check your sources, really.

Other than that, while I'm very open to the SOF topic in general and would like to portray such units (or fight them), it can only work in certain scenarios as some other pointed out. Just pressing them in would add nothing to the game and many concerns others named are very valid.

WHAT!? NO SETHAL FORCESSSS!?!?!?!? How am I going to do my 1337 HALO drops!? Lame.

Actually we did work on a minimod for this in PR that was never finished, called Shadowspear. Essentially just Insurgency turned around, with a larger faction (like MEC) defending, and a more infantry focused BLUFOR attacking, all set during a night map.

Kindof like the insurgency for Khamisiyah actually, just at night with the Dutch forces.

38 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

Most of the players can't even play as grunts properly.

Painfully true...

7 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

Most of the players can't even play as grunts properly.

That is a very, very good point!

18 hours ago, Bluedrake42 said:

WHAT!? NO SETHAL FORCESSSS!?!?!?!? How am I going to do my 1337 HALO drops!? Lame.

Actually we did work on a minimod for this in PR that was never finished, called Shadowspear. Essentially just Insurgency turned around, with a larger faction (like MEC) defending, and a more infantry focused BLUFOR attacking, all set during a night map.

Kindof like the insurgency for Khamisiyah actually, just at night with the Dutch forces.

That sounds kinda cool. After having played Squad for several months now I can see why SF's propably wouldn't do well in regular matches as it is now. But I still like the idea of having a game mode like what you mentioned.

1 hour ago, InsaneDane said:

That sounds kinda cool. After having played Squad for several months now I can see why SF's propably wouldn't do well in regular matches as it is now. But I still like the idea of having a game mode like what you mentioned.

Yeah I guess it all depends on your idea of what "special forces" are. Everyone think special forces are like... fucking metal gear solid or something. When in fact a lot of them do more political things, like the CIA dropping in Afghanistan to recruit local tribal forces into opposing regional regimes.

So we had an idea of creating a mod to represent things like that. Not 1337 silenced sniper thermal vision badasses, but more believable "special forces" scenarios that still used conventional equipment, but in more light handed ways. For instance even the US Army Rangers are considered special forces, but that doesn't mean they're going around splinter celling shit.

We were thinking about making a mission like Operation Anaconda, or something else more realistic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Anaconda

So yeah idk, I think the biggest thing here isn't whether we should have special forces or not... its what people think special forces is, as opposed to what it actually is haha which isn't MGS shit haha

Honestly I would say the modern military has more "special forces" than we've ever had before, especially because of counter terrorism taking a larger role. They just don't operate like people think they do.

At least, this is what I've heard from my friends serving/applying to serve in the rangers.

Edited by Bluedrake42