InsaneDane

Special Forces

89 posts in this topic

Hi - Before you shoot down my post with anything related to "RAMBO" or "CoD", please do take your time to read this post :D

SPECIAL FORCES

In my many years playing MilSim games such as PR and ArmA, I've never seen a game or game mode with a good implementation of Special Forces in joint operations with regular troops, in a way so that it would be both useful and fun to play and play with. But how do you ensure that the Special Forces squad would be useful in Squad? How do you make it so that they're incredibly useful to the team, without being too overpowered for the enemy? I will answer those questions with my suggestions to how you could implement Special Forces in Squad!

So for the Squad community, I'd like to present my idea of how Special Forces could be a cool addition to Squad (At some point in the development.)

What could they do?

Special Forces could be tasked with force recon, demolition of enemy caches, heavy fire support, harassment of enemy forces behind the front line (Give squad leader the ability to airdrop his team in certain areas behind the enemy line or close to, making it insanely important that they do not get seen if they're not supposed to.),

How could it be done?

Like in PR you would have specific squads for specific assignments such as APC, CAS, etc - You could have the Special Forces be a pinned squad that there would only be one of and it would already be created when the server starts. So the special forces squad could be a standard 5 man squad with certain abillities and access to some different stuff needed to complete their missions. More of this below.  How to determine who could lead or be a part of the squad is also explained further below.

Of course Special Forces would have to be restricted to actual armies and not insurgents, but maybe you

How could they be different from regular units?

These Tier 1 operators would of course require some gear that is appropriate to their importance and assignment. Really - It would be up to the wonderful developers of Squad to determine, but I can suggest a few pieces of equipment that would be useful.

(These are merely some suggestions.)

- Suppressed MK18, HK416C or other carbines used by Tier 1 operators, depending on their nation.

- Special equipment, slightly better than the regular stuff used for demolishing caches and such.

- The rope and hook that we had back in PR, would be great for observations and vantage points.

- Thermal non-weaponised optics for scouting

- The ability to call in a JDAM (Not too OP, and with quite a big cooldown. Should need approval from commander as well.)

- Some kind of 12.7 Anti Material Rifle could be great for taking out light vehicles.

- More to add here...

How would it benefit other players?

Special Forces would benefit the team as a whole, by having some of the most experienced players provide the entire team with impressive fire support and of course hunt down caches and other important objectives.

Believe it or not - This could benefit the enemy as well... Say the enemy... Uhhh... Should enocunter these Special Forces... And so happen to kill them... A way to make it a bit more fair for the enemy team is if each operator was worth a high amount of "tickets" or whatever point system the game mode has, forcing the operators to not Rambo. Everything comes with a price.

I also think it would be beneficial to perhaps limit the sniper class solely to Special Forces? (Of course not when we're talking Insurgents)

How would you determine who should be Special Forces or not?

I would recommend implementing a point system. A persistent one. But not the kind that you can only gain points. If you're a good player and you can consistently help out your team with winning matches, do you not deserve to be "Elite"? And if you're not beneficial to your team at all - You don't get to play as the Elite class. I would advice a cool down of 1 game per player so that a player cannot play Special Forces 2 games in a row.

What other benefits would this have?

This would encourage a lot of players to do their very best to get to play these guys. And people who like to do Squad Lead, obviously you would find the best squad leaders playing Special Forces.

It would make a fine game of cat and mouse for the enemy team, hunting down enemy special forces. Really helps with the immersion of the game too, when playing Insurgent or enemy in general as killing an enemy Special Forces team would be a big score for your team.

I will add further ideas to this. Feel free to comment with your suggestions and I'm hoping for some positive feedback! :ph34r:

-InsaneDane

Nice post Dane. Unfortunately this has been posted about several times, and the Dev's have answered they have no plans to implement SF.

Try using the search function buddy

I feel the majority would run off with the special forces and try to do ricky recon stuff... hell right now if somebody even has a scope they're likely to camp. give them a suppressed rifle and ability to call a JDAM would mean super camping. just my 2c though.

My recommendation to every single person that wants special forces in Squad:

Support the mod teams that will inevitably form to bring Arma style PvE game modes to Squad. Support those people 100%.

Problem with SF (like Snipers, Jets etc) is that too many people will relate themselves to that role and truly believe they are Elite and require that Role at all times.

I suppose Breacher will be kinda that role though.

Breaching would be cool to fall into the Engineer class.

Sorry, I figured I had a good idea here. I did read some posts but they didn't seem to justify the use of SF's. With 100 people one the server and 10 being SF's (If 2 major factions), it wouldn't seem like alot.

But as I said. With the point system SF should be purely limited to people who can be beneficial to their team. You will have people with scoped sniper rifles camping somewhere regardless, but this would limit it to only the most experienced players using it and with an actual purpose besides camping somewhere just to "rek".

Also we're talking 5 people per team with a high enough point score to actually player as SF. Unless you really know what you're doing, you won't be playing SF.

Sorry, I figured I had a good idea here. I did read some posts but they didn't seem to justify the use of SF's. With 100 people one the server and 10 being SF's (If 2 major factions), it wouldn't seem like alot.

But as I said. With the point system SF should be purely limited to people who can be beneficial to their team. You will have people with scoped sniper rifles camping somewhere regardless, but this would limit it to only the most experienced players using it and with an actual purpose besides camping somewhere just to "rek".

Also we're talking 5 people per team with a high enough point score to actually player as SF. Unless you really know what you're doing, you won't be playing SF.

I understand completely. The issue is, I could go and sit on a defence flag for 15 minutes and have the highest score.

The points system wouldn't work as a benchmark for 'unlocking' certain things

US SF on one side, and highly trained, battle hardened insurgent fighters on the other. A loosing team may get the ability to request SF support (that you can only get once in a game), which will unleash mayhem and may give the loosing team one more chance to turn the tide in their favor.

This would most likely have to be realized by modding teams, since it's a huge amount of work for a rather small feature.

Only see SF working with preset squads and a CO with real power over squads, same a SL has over his SMs.

Like someone above wrote, support upcoming modders.

What if instead of having an SF class - A squad who was really pulling their weight and getting the points - they could be granted a specalist ability by the Commander?

E.g.

You have reached 5000 (example) in squad points and comd has granted you access to 4 Silenced M4s with IR attachements.  

Access to a Javelin missile system, 1 carries the missile, 3 others carry the rounds as loaders( 1 round each) - extremely accurate area weapon.

A Special objective of some sort that gives you x2 points and hinders the enemy in some way (set up radio jammer).

etc etc.

I understand completely. The issue is, I could go and sit on a defence flag for 15 minutes and have the highest score.

If that's the issue; excellent.

The squad taking on the more boring job gets a perk.

This is the second comment I've read about defenders getting more points then attackers today. Isn't that a good thing?

Attacking flags is usually more fun.

Rule nr1 from PR: never ever leave last capped undefended.

Most fun is when squads learn to leapfrog flags. You defend the flag you took.

If that's the issue; excellent.

The squad taking on the more boring job gets a perk.

This is the second comment I've read about defenders getting more points then attackers today. Isn't that a good thing?

Attacking flags is usually more fun.

Rule nr1 from PR: never ever leave last capped undefended.

Most fun is when squads learn to leapfrog flags. You defend the flag you took.

I'm not saying it is a game issue, 'im saying the issue with earmarking the top scorers for SF doesn't work out, referencing 'the best players get SF' based on 'their score'.

The point I'm trying to make is that I could be brand new to the game, but have the most points due to sitting in a cap radius.

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear

Hence why the devs should think about maybe putting a limit on how many points you can get for defending a point. So that when you reach a certain amount of points, you will no longer get points for sitting in this objective.

Points will be completely overhauled at some point in 2016. What we have now is a very quick n' dirty approach with the single objective of: reward support/objective more than kills.

Far from perfect.

Also, no SF will be implemented in Squad 1.0, that is up to community mods to deal with. We are trying to deal with what all the other games don't deal with - the grunts and support units, not the special forces.

Perhaps a point system that doesn't consist of only one counter, but several. So that you can get points in each of these counters. Then you could make SF require at least a certain amount of points in a certain amount of different point counters. Cause a squad that has alot of defense counters for example would most likely be of no use as a Special Forces squad anyway... However - Were they to spread out their points they would most likely be of more use to their team, as this squad has proven itself to be even more effective, not just doing one thing only, but several. Perhaps it would be even better to make a point system, not based off the character alone, but for the squad as a whole. So that way, noone starts out with SF, but one team will eventually have enough points to become an SF team... I don't know. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Perhaps a point system that doesn't consist of only one counter, but several. So that you can get points in each of these counters. Then you could make SF require at least a certain amount of points in a certain amount of different point counters. Cause a squad that has alot of defense counters for example would most likely be of no use as a Special Forces squad anyway... However - Were they to spread out their points they would most likely be of more use to their team, as this squad has proven itself to be even more effective, not just doing one thing only, but several. Perhaps it would be even better to make a point system, not based off the character alone, but for the squad as a whole. So that way, noone starts out with SF, but one team will eventually have enough points to become an SF team... I don't know. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Being sf within squad or prbf2 is to freaking easy man.

First off ur gona want to tell ur team during pregame that u are going to be a special squad and open ur self up to redicule from the veterans of prbf2 that might be playing along side u.

After they're done making fun of u then follow these steps

1. Create squad

2. Name it sf, 1eet fags, sof, cag, ragners, green beanies, reesecon, delta farts

3. Tell ur squad members to grab the certain kits that ur spec op secret squirrel mission requires

4. Do spec op shit

5. Eat a dic

And if ur successful ur team will win and u will recieve no credit. And if ur team loses u will get all the blame.

Have fun! And enjoy eating dic...

Plus a lot of clans would assume that they are Special Ops and recruit like they are.

Plus a lot of clans would assume that they are Special Ops and recruit like they are.

I never really understood that. I guess it's just the "cool" factor.

What if instead of having an SF class - A squad who was really pulling their weight and getting the points - they could be granted a specalist ability by the Commander?

E.g.

You have reached 5000 (example) in squad points and comd has granted you access to 4 Silenced M4s with IR attachements.  

Access to a Javelin missile system, 1 carries the missile, 3 others carry the rounds as loaders( 1 round each) - extremely accurate area weapon.

A Special objective of some sort that gives you x2 points and hinders the enemy in some way (set up radio jammer).

etc etc.

javelin should be the default hat kit, not a special item. its not a very rare weapon

Being sf within squad or prbf2 is to freaking easy man.

First off ur gona want to tell ur team during pregame that u are going to be a special squad and open ur self up to redicule from the veterans of prbf2 that might be playing along side u.

After they're done making fun of u then follow these steps

1. Create squad

2. Name it sf, 1eet fags, sof, cag, ragners, green beanies, reesecon, delta farts

3. Tell ur squad members to grab the certain kits that ur spec op secret squirrel mission requires

4. Do spec op shit

5. Eat a dic

And if ur successful ur team will win and u will recieve no credit. And if ur team loses u will get all the blame.

Have fun! And enjoy eating dic...

That's what I though about reading the starting thread :D

In PR there are also all kinds of squad names and it's members who try to be "suicide squads" "spec ops" "snipers" etc.