VikingPingvin

Flight model.

35 posts in this topic

Arma helos feel like they are horribly unresponsive, you have to nose down 90 degrees for 30 seconds to get decent acceleration and then you have to do it even longer to stop.

PR flying is far more rewarding even though it is a bit more difficult, and would be perfect for squad if a few of the unrealistic aspects were worked out, such as the helicopters losing all their momentum when climbing and being way too top heavy.

I like ARMA's flight model, it's fairly easy to fly, but it requires time and practice to master. It's not easy in ARMA to simply hover for example, or learn to bleed speed without flaring. Some people fly there with keyboard and mouse, but most with at least a joystick. I use a HOTAS and pedals which make it easier and far more nuanced in control. 

I haven't flown in PR, so except from watching vids, I have no experience. ARMA's helos seem to have much more weight and momentum than it appears the PR birds do. They seem like they are on rails, like they were in BF2. No doubt this is helpful on the smaller small maps.

This sort of flying in the first couple of minutes would be nearly impossible in ARMA at that speed.

Also, ARMA's helos have full collisions and break easily.

This is typical flying in a Little Bird if you're are fairly accomplished, it's the most nimble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOncgPsPEtg

There's a lot to learn in ARMA if you want to master it. I like that it's hard and to be a good pilot, you have to actively work at it. Dyslexi is as good as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AG3ba7LkYo

That pr video flight model made me wanna throw up in my mouth. Looked nothing g even remotely like anything based on the laws of physics.

ArmA is much more believable and still easy enough to grasp I a day or so. That video earlier of that cobra in the mountains looks promising too. I hope that guys is working great from OWI.

Would prefer a flightmodell comparable to ArmA 3's simple flightmodell with Ace³ Enhancements as well, Project Reality's was way too oversimplified and ArmA 3's enhanced model might be too complicated for a public use in Squad.

Arma 3 does helicopters really well . The base flight model has a little bit more of a learning curve then Battlefield 4's flight model yet still is fairly easy to learn. I do feel something like the advanced flight model of Arma 3 would be a little too much for Squad as you really need a joystick and throttle to use it correctly.

Seconded! Something similar to the Arma 3 basic flight model would be perfect - the not too complex, but not so dumbed down it's boring.

Hi, I revive this topic since helos are beeing worked on according to the monthly recap of May.

I searched on this forum for any new information but didn't find something...

Personnally I would love to see a flight model like the Advanced Flight Model (AFM) of ArmA 3 because it is not as "hard" (I would rather say detailled) as a simulator like DCS and not to arcade as the SFM or something like the BF flight model (FM)...

AFM is really close to the reality and everybody can fly with it since mouse and keyboard are enough (joystick + trakir + pedals can give a huge advantage that said)

Here are 2 vids showing AFM both on Arma 3 and RS2 (those FM looks similar) where the pilot is using only mouse + keyboard and are doing quite well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvALcucOSNg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I0TZMB08yw

The SFM is cool because it looks better than the average arcade FM and everyone can fly with it, even the dumbest person and IMO this is a huge mistake in a game which describe itself as a realist FPS or a miliary simulation... I don't even remember how many times I get as a passenger in a chopper and the pilot crashed himself with 5 or 10 buddies because he wasn't trained.

AFM may be deterrent for a noob pilot but certainly not for "pure" pilots. I mean by "pure" pilot, someone who really want to play the role of a pilot in the game, whatever is skill level at the beginning. You can learn to fly with AFM in a couple of hours if you are motivated and that's why noobs will gives up pretty fast. They doesn't want to spent some time to be proficient in something in most cases, so they will stay with their boots on the ground.

We can apply the same logic for tankers, snipers, mortars etc. In ArmA for instance, Artillery is just "click to kill" so anybody can be a "mortar guy" whereas in Squad, Mortars are closer to the reality. Indeed, you have to calculate the range and adjust your fire according to the intel of your SL and to do so, you have to learn how to do it properly to avoid FF. That's the same thing for a pilot. I'm sure you don't want to die at the beginning of the match because the pilot wasn't good and crashed into a tree...

I don't want it to be too easy, beacuse then it gets boring to do. In order to feel engaged as a player when doing it, you need to feel like you're exerting some manner of effort, that you're actually working for it. The PR helicopters are special, they are very fast, and very heavy. I've never flown a helicopter, but I'm 99% sure that's not how they feel in real life. So I'm not in favour of just copying that FM, but the way being a pilot was something valued, something you trained to be good at, that I want.

I think as long as they make it something you can git gud at, that not everyone and their grandma can do competently after 10 minutes of fiddling around, I'll be happy.

Edited by Qaiex

20 hours ago, Qaiex said:

I don't want it to be too easy, beacuse then it gets boring to do. In order to feel engaged as a player when doing it, you need to feel like you're exerting some manner of effort, that you're actually working for it. The PR helicopters are special, they are very fast, and very heavy. I've never flown a helicopter, but I'm 99% sure that's not how they feel in real life. So I'm not in favour of just copying that FM, but the way being a pilot was something valued, something you trained to be good at, that I want.

I think as long as they make it something you can git gud at, that not everyone and their grandma can do competently after 10 minutes of fiddling around, I'll be happy.

I second this ! You sum up what I was thinking. If I want an AFM for Squad this is because with a SFM, people can master it in 1 hours and we didn't learn anything new.

With the AFM you learn evrytime, from an helo to an other and it maintain a "manner of effort" as you said.

the only option that should be available with an AFM is the "auto-trim" because if you don't have pedals, or the time to trim properly your helo (because of the map which is too small for instance) it can be tricky to fly properly.

Everyone here is talking about how realistic the helo needs to feel while we cant run over a chain link fence with a stryker.

yes because the game is still in early alpha and I assume (I hope at least) that they will improve physic. The Flight model is part of the vehicle physic and it has to be discuss for the futur developement. However, if they want to allow a stryker to crush a fence or a wall, then they need to rework their buildings in order to allow them to be destroy or damaged. It has been discussed at bit here : http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/27621-destroyed-building/

On 16/07/2017 at 5:53 PM, _randombullet said:

Everyone here is talking about how realistic the helo needs to feel while we cant run over a chain link fence with a stryker.

I think that's mainly because this thread it about helicopter flight models and not chain link fences. Perhaps you'd have more luck in a thread about chain link fences?

Would it be possible to re-ignite this discussion with the development team? It's a particular area of interest for me, and I'm curious to know how it's being constructed.  I've seen reference to the Rising Storm 2 model, but not much beyond that. :)