Sign in to follow this  
kojent

RE: FOB Construction Improvements

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? I know I do. However, anyone who has led a squad in this game or others (ArMa, Insurgency, PlanetSide 2, Red Orchestra 2, MoH:AA, etc.) knows the experience is akin to herding cats.

Cats named Rambo.

That have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

.. and seek immediate gratification or lose interest.

With respect to Forward Operating Bases, these improvements can help keep these cats engaged. Even when all is lost, these improvements can save a squad some run time as the leader desperately chases one of the cats, hoping to get close enough before being peppered with bullets in order to drop a fresh rally point.

1. Give us Engineers.

An engineer kit with an improved shovel or wrench could allow one squad members to hang back with the squad leader at the forward operating base and build it up while the others push in toward an objective or establish an overwatch. An engineer kit could also move a bit slower, but have a giant spool of 400m wire with an indicator on their HUD showing when they will run out of wire. When trying to leap frog your FOBs, this would provide an in-game mechanic for (1) rendering the previous FOB defunct remotely and/or (2) knowing when you're 400m from the previous FOB in order to place another. The latter feature could also be accomplished via some portable antenna or radio frequency tool that analyzes the distance from a radio signal.

2. Enable the Squad Leader to get his hands dirty and shovel with his troops instead of just standing there amidst a sea of metal posts.

The squad leader needs to be at the forward operating base any time he wants something built, because he needs to place it and then hang around so the metal posts don't de-spawn. In my opinion, the squad leader should either have a shovel, or have the ability to swap his kit out and build what he's placed. Currently, when trying the latter, the structure will de-spawn after you've swapped your kit out and shoveled a few times. Consider allowing the structures that have been placed and are under construction to persist after the squad leader has swapped out his kit.

Thanks!

I love the idea of an engineer class like in PR to have land mines and a wrench and stuff.
Would be cool if more advanced emplacements became available if you had an engineer around too.

The squad leader on the other hand,
He has other things to do like check the map, plan his stradegy and communicate with other squads while the grunts build,
I have no problem with the way that works right now, it only takes 5-6 seconds if your whole squad is helping build, and I don't like to separate from my squad leader either unless instructed (but it usually never works out well)

I hope an engineer class will come to squad.

about #2 , I think it will lead to more one man's squads :\

How about some kind of roof building mechanic? i cant count the times i've tried to hold a fob/compound only to get rockets and grenades coming in over the top all the time. a roof panel to build you could connect to other things would be conventional.