Sign in to follow this  
WARti0k0ne -BG-

Autopilot for Helos and such flying contraptions

There seems to be lots of cry about that newbies crash the helos/jets and they should have some rank system so the newbies can't get to fly and train. So my conclusion is that the flying dynamics are unfriendly = realistic in PR for a beginner.

So based on that demand to disable the access for a newbies the fun of flying in way or another I suggest that in Squad there is autopilot button attached to flying contraptions like helicopters where when it is on the flying is really rather easy no odd starting proceduress etc. BUT the flying is basicly limited in some dynamics so the flying is basic up and down, back and forth.

Now when you toggle the autopilot off (can be in option menu also so experienced players can turn in off as default) you can make all those cool flying tricks what that asset can do and be the ace.

Simply no. Limiting the capability of an asset so people who are inexperienced with it can use it, but not to its full potential is practically a waste of that asset; in the case of CAS planes and helis, they'd just get ripped apart by a more experienced player on the opposite side both due to their lack of practice and the restrictions on their asset's capability. That, and it'd be a crutch that many would stick with using instead of taking the next step.

If people want to learn how to fly planes and helicopters they can do so offline or on training servers if they're going to be a thing. Until they can use it well people should generally stay away from the assets which are hard to use in a live game. Mandatory training for aircraft is pretty much a must IMO, just a simple "fly through these hoops within x time limit", that time limit being somewhat lenient, then "after flying through x hoops destroy targets a,b,c" and "land at x then y then z". Simple demonstration of their ability to operate the asset without just crashing it from take-off would prevent it happening in live games.

No.

Don't fly if you're a noob. Practice offline.

By your brilliance, why not implement an autoaim mode for noobs with hitmarker and no recoil  :rolleyes:

Or you know... restrict the vehicle to those that would have completed a tutorial on the subject...

Or you know... restrict the vehicle to those that would have completed a tutorial on the subject...

This could be awesome. A qualification course of sorts, where the medic class gets unlocked when you go through a scripted mission and treat N number of people. The course goes through ever aspect (dragging, bandaging, etc..).  The more times you fail on a certain sub-section, the more that subsection appears.

Example, lets say youre in a helicopter training session. It teaches you basic controls, lift off, and landing. Then you fly to pick up your co-pilot 1KM away. if you crash during landing of this fake mission, the initial intro of landing may be a bit longer and may tell you to repeat the landing portion 2 or 3 more times. 

This would be better than the "elite" players telling new comers to RTFM. 

Another feature that would be cool is seeing peoples flight time to gauge competence.  

What about an actual "cruise" whatever button that evens out the helicopter allowing one to hover more easily? Rather than janking back and forth to balance.

I haven't actually flown a heli in PR in a long time, so I don't know if they already have that.

Play offline tutorial to gain your license. 

No auto stuff. The beauty of flying in PR is that it's decently easy to pick up but hard to master. I've seen players owning the air with crazy skills. I like that and I prefer Squad goes in the same direction

I prefer arma style auto hovering

I'd rather that were never a thing. The only utility it has is keeping the helicopter steady to deploy fastropes in ACE, or aid in sling-loading (arguably it's detrimental to that effort) or if you for some reason need to go afk/alt-tab in the air. Other than that, when used for take-off/landing in place of doing it "manually", it's a crutch that won't help people improve and can end up being more dangerous when attempting to land or take off under threat.

The only use auto-hover has (especially in Arma) is when they stick it on to land, so it shoots up in the air and they come down straight so I can put a belt of Zafir into the cockpit.