Sign in to follow this  
Annie'sboobs

Paid mods

If steam does reintroduce paid mods in the future what is OWI and everyone's view/stance on it? And what is the current plan on distribution of mods ie steam workshop, moddb, nexus ect?

Well... On the release of Squad via KickStarter and Twitter, it clearly state no "hats" bs...  So I guess no paid mods?  :) .  A free workshop with maps and skins maybe ?

A dev should pin-point an answer,

P.S i dont care if you make hats to be honest!!!!

I would assume not.

A game wanting to build an audience would be giving themselves a huge handicap by doing this, if it is even an option in the near future.

Personaly i want the game to be just pure developer driven content, no mods etc, and no skins on weapons or anything like that, that people can put in, we all know theres gona be dicks out there that make weapons light up like xmas trees and exploit that for better spotting the enemy., And mods would split the community to thoes that use a specific mod vs thoes that does not.

So ill say let the developers bring us expantions, when that time comes, and no dlc shit thats also gona split the community :P

Map workshop content is a must. 

just set up a auto download from the steam workshop when you get into a serve with maps you dont have.

now i dont know if that can be done tho lol

We have some ideas.  Personally, I'm 100% against pay-gating unproven mods.  But a good mod is worth money, and I'd like to see people get paid for the work they do.  

If anyone manages to make top notch content that we can use we will likely integrate into the core game

We have some ideas.  Personally, I'm 100% against pay-gating unproven mods.  But a good mod is worth money, and I'd like to see people get paid for the work they do.  

Yeah, like a complete WWII mod for Squad, right? 

Nah, totally overrated!

I just need coffee. 

Yeah, like a complete WWII mod for Squad, right? 

Hell yeah.  Creating a full WW2 mod for Squad would take some real hard work and dedication.  There is absolutely no reason that mod creator shouldn't be paid for their effort.  

The devil is always in the details though, and honestly it'll take a lot of open conversation to decide the best way to do it.  There is space so that everyone wins here, we just have to find it.  

Hell yeah.  Creating a full WW2 mod for Squad would take some real hard work and dedication.  There is absolutely no reason that mod creator shouldn't be paid for their effort.  

The devil is always in the details though, and honestly it'll take a lot of open conversation to decide the best way to do it.  There is space so that everyone wins here, we just have to find it.  

Great to read stuff like this! Back in my mod days Tripwire were happy to package our mod with their game but refused to pay us for it...oh and then they poached some of our developers and made Rising storm. Nice guys.

I myself am in two minds about paid mods. I am against steam selling each individual mods out right because there are more cons than pros. Some of the pros and cons below

Pros: Modders getting paid for their hard work

Cons: abuse of the mods market place where someone could make minor change to existing and then put it up for sale

Less tool/script/file/art asset sharing between different modding groups as each group are now in competition with one other.

No support guaranteed by the modders beyond current version of the mod

I am not against OWI to package the most popular and outstanding mods as official DLC/expansion packs and all revenue should be split evenly between the modders and OWI. Now before anyone says why should OWI get some revenue should keep in mind these mods will become official OWI products and they will have to use their dev team to support/update the now official mods

People need to be paid for the work they do. I'd go DLC upgrade. If assets are official, they should be paid fairly.

I agree with DearLeader, with no promise of on-going support I can't get behind paid mods. The amount of mods that die at each official game update on some games, I would never be comfortable paying for an unofficial mod. Unless the developer is willing to eat up the support and update work involved, but if that's the case just have it be official content.