Z-trooper

Kits, Roles, Limits and Steam launch

For the 2 man squad, maybe there should be a medic kit? In PR often there would be FOB hunting squad, or a special squad with 2-3-4 people, where they would destroy assets. 

• We want to discourage lone wolf behavior. So creating a new squad won't really get you much fancy gear, optics, 1337 sniperz or rocket launchers.

LOL! Good to hear.

For the 2 man squad, maybe there should be a medic kit? In PR often there would be FOB hunting squad, or a special squad with 2-3-4 people, where they would destroy assets. 

You should still be able to do this, but it would be as members of a larger squad I would think.

HOLY CRAP THIS WILL BE AWESOME!

Cannot wait to get in on this shit, SQUIDS will get sweet fuckall while a good squad will be able to muster some serious firepower. This will make games a LOT more interesting. Also I'm liking the restriction on SVD/marksman type weapons per team/number of players.

To those who are concerned about the larger squads detracting from small squad gameplay, fireteams and fireteam leaders are still coming AFAIK, so once a squad can be split into 2 4 man fireteams with an FTL you'll be able to have your high explosive cake and eat it too...

Am I a cute guinea pig?

No, that's me. See: user title.

On topic: I'm very stoked to see OWI doing something like this. Standing up for the type of gameplay they believe in and that most of us here understand the value of. I am very much looking forward to testing all of this out.

This may be potentially solved by a larger squad breaking into fireteams.

his may be potentially solved by a larger squad breaking into fireteams.

Independent chains of command and SL capabilities are quite important for squads to be effective, so FTs are not really helpful in these instances. However, FOB hunters should have about 3-4 squad members so the restrictions placed by the system shouldn't negatively affect FOB hunter squads.

Independent chains of command and SL capabilities are quite important for squads to be effective, so FTs are not really helpful in these instances. However, FOB hunters should have about 3-4 squad members so the restrictions placed by the system shouldn't negatively affect FOB hunter squads.

You have yet to see how OWI is going to implement FT's.

You have yet to see how OWI is going to implement FT's.

There's really not much about how they implement FTs that would affect what I said. Is the FT part of a squad? Then it does not have an independent chain of command. Does the SL have capabilities that a FTL does not have? Then a FTL will have reduced effectiveness.

There's really not much about how they implement FTs that would affect what I said. Is the FT part of a squad? Then it does not have an independent chain of command. Does the SL have capabilities that a FTL does not have? Then a FTL will have reduced effectiveness.

What will likely happen is seperate fireteam channels for coordination (except squadleader to squadleader), as well as seperate fireteam markers and waypoints. You would still have the same rallypoint and a few other things, but this is more or less our thinking right now (We always change slightly when we begin the implementation effort)

What will likely happen is seperate fireteam channels for coordination (except squadleader to squadleader), as well as seperate fireteam markers and waypoints. You would still have the same rallypoint and a few other things, but this is more or less our thinking right now (We always change slightly when we begin the implementation effort)

That is what I have gathered. It does not make FTs more viable than independent squads, though. Especially RPs are important for small squads operating behind enemy lines, without friendly supply lines.

Squads using FTs to fill multiple roles also creates a signalling issue and further stresses the SL bottleneck, which can make it negatively affect squad organization. If I make a squad named "Infantry", then players joining my squad have expectations as to what they will be doing. Players self-select based on squad names. This means that players joining my squad who are then assigned roles that did not meet their expectations may not be experienced in those roles, and players that are experienced in those roles may not choose to join the "Infantry" squad, as they can't tell that I have FTs filling those roles. I will then have to spend time and effort on assigning these roles to the players who want them, and then as people leave and join I'm required to keep re-organizing. Meanwhile, it's not immediately apparent to the rest of the team that these FTs I have actually exist, so there's now an increased potential for a duplication of effort. Whereas the existence of a squad called "FOB Hunters" or "Recon" makes it immediately apparent to the rest of the team that those roles are filled, and that they have someone they can contact to cooperate with. FTs simply do not signal this to the team. With FTs, communication will have to go from the FTL, to the SL, to the other squad's SL and then back again, or vice versa. This generally leads to a lot of half-assery, not more teamwork.

I dono about medic at 3 people. As SL i always expect the first person to join to be medic until others join up. I vote medic at 2. You can keep eachother alive and be useful instead of run and die.

I dono about medic at 3 people. As SL i always expect the first person to join to be medic until others join up. I vote medic at 2. You can keep eachother alive and be useful instead of run and die.

Requiring a squad to have a certain amount of people in order to unlock medic class incentivizes having a certain amount of people in a squad. Which, in turn, increases the chances of players hearing squad comms and participating. At least, that's how I understand the theory behind it.

9 players in one squad is too much...

6 is just fine.

With 3 people u can do everything then 3 more for watch them ;)

I think it's a little late to be arguing the finer points of maximum allowed squad size at this point.

I like everything except getting the ACOG option as SL at 8 people. I think 6 people would be better based on 25v25 servers right now. Being able to lock the squad at 6 and still have the necessary kits to fill the roles needed is a good thing.

I'm imagining playing Logar PAAS with 4 squads of 6 would actually be enjoyable. :)

*snip*

Will it be possible to join a 8/9 man squad(assuming a full server), take a specialized kit, leave the squad and still retain your kit? Basically lonewolfing without having to be the SL.

Can't wait to try those changes,especially i'm wondering how the 2 UGL per Squad will work out. :)

I find it a little funny and sad at the same time that I can see the hesitation / frustration in the main post.

Always remember Z-trooper, the people who are here frequently are only trying to help make this game amazing, even if we get unruly, angry, or disagree sometimes.

would be cool to see more exploration into having different kits available for the squad when you're playing as different factions, you could have british sections have access to 1x gpmg and 1x lmg instead of 2x lmg, us army only having 2 m240s available to the entire team etc

pls give the ruskies the rpk74m and not a pkm for the section