Z-trooper

Kits, Roles, Limits and Steam launch

Hi everybody,

Hang tight, this is sort of a blog format, so I will try to highlight the important bits for those not interested in the details.

I wanted to take a quick moment to talk about a new kit restriction system that we have been setting up over the last few days.

Normally you would see something along the lines of "Added kit limitation system, with player scaling" in the change log, and that would be it.

In this case we feel that you may miss a couple of the finer details and possibilities this may offer, so - story time!

Let me run through some of the basic details of what was done and why, then followed by some of the things that it allows us to fine tune a bit better at this stage of the game!

Consider this the TL:DR section

Keep in mind that values are subject to change before next patch. I'll try to keep them updated if any changes happen.

• Special/limited kits now become available once a minimum amount of players are present in your squad.
  • Some of these kits availability now scale with how many people there are in your squad.
  • Some of these kits are now globally restricted. Meaning that not all squads will have the possibility of having these kits.
  • Globally restricted kits also scale with server (team) population.
  • The scaling and minimum limits for kits now allow us to give diversity in choices for certain classes depending on how we want to portray the particular faction.
  • The scaling and minimum limits also give us the chance to reward bigger player numbers in each squad. Larger squads = access to more gear.
  • NEW: We are currently adding a feature where you will have a maximum number of "special" kits so the entire squad isn't filled with LAT's and UGL's - choices will have to be made.
  • NEW: There is now a limit of 4 "squad fire support" kits per squad. These are your Light Machine Guns, Light Anti Tank and Grenadier slots. Pick your squad's purpose!
  • NEW: When you leave a squad, and if you had any kind of special kit, you will immediately change kits to a "recruit" kit, that only has a basic weapon, bandages and a shovel. Number of bandages and ammo is transferred from the kit you came from.

If our time on these forums have taught us anything, it is that there will be loads of questions about why certain decisions were made.

Instead of discussing every little detail, let me paint the broad strokes that the changes above encapsulate:

WHY?

• We want to discourage lone wolf behavior. So creating a new squad won't really get you much fancy gear, optics, 1337 sniperz or rocket launchers.
  • We want to encourage the formation of bigger squads, by both rewarding the SL and the squad members with more options and available kit. The reason being that the more people. there are in your squad, the greater the chance of people accidentally sticking together AND will be able to hear communication - hopefully giving incentive to talk back.
  • We want to have certain factions be more diverse and have the ability to utilize different tactics (stick around for the militia bit!).
  • We want to be able to use as much of our content as possible to give the game depth and replayability.

Common denominator? - The release on Steam and mass exposure. We are trying our very best to get new people started smoothly on the steep learning curve.

BUT!

We cannot do this alone. You have all had the chance, as founders, to get in game and learn the ropes. The game and us developers need you guys to pass on the knowledge, be patient and open minded for as long as you can help us with it.

The more people we get converted to the play style you want, the better for the game, both short term and long term. Both for us, and for you!

We know it will be a challenge.

We promise to do the best we can to provide you with willing, eager and inquisitive squad members, the rest is up to the community as a whole.

And yes, some of these changes are temporary, some of the restrictions and choices were made to deal with the large influx of new players. Don't expect any info in this thread to be final.

Preaching over. 

Examples

Here are a couple of examples of how a 1 man squad looks, and how an 8 man squad looks. I've provided two examples so you can see that each faction is structured differently - because they play differently!

Russian 1 man vs. 8 man squad options (keep in mind that it scales up gradually):

Eycn1tH.png

Same story. Militia 1 man squad and 8 man squad options:

BOhbqTh.png

Let's get down and dirty and look at some examples of what you can get your hands on, and how to get them!

Let us start with a hot topic on the forums. The SVD.

MARKSMAN

The SVD is now a team restricted kit, meaning that there can only be a certain amount of them on the field.

It now has the following restrictions:

• Minimum 5 players in the squad
  • Minimum 10 players on your team
  • For every additional 10 players on your team, another SVD/Marksman kit is available

MEDICS

• Minimum 2 players in a squad
  • Kit limit is upped to 2 medics per squad when there are 6 players

GRENADIER, LAT, LMG, RIFLEMAN ACOG

• Minimum 4 players in a squad
  • Kit limit is upped to 2 of these classes per squad when there are 8 players

EXCEPTIONS!

Now comes the fun part!!!

• US Squad Leader's now get a second kit choice when there are 6 man in the squad. You now have the option of having an ACOG optic on your M4 instead of the Aimpoint
  • Insurgents starts getting RPG kits available at 3 players per squad, and scales to 2 at 6 players. Note that Insurgents no longer has a Grenadier kit at all, but can have lots of "hunter killer RPG teams" ;)
  • Insurgents AND Militia's 2nd LMG choice is a different weapon! INS has RPK at 4, and RPK74 at 8. MIL has RPK74 at 4 and ironsights M249 at 8.
  • Militia has 2 SL kits available from the start. AK74 or M4 (Not M4A1), additionally there are 2 limited M4's available from 1 man and up. (hint: firing your AK74 or M4 behind enemy lines may not be a dead giveaway for your enemies... Know your enemy!).
  • Militia has 2 different Grenadier kits. At 4 members it is an AKM+GP25 and at 8 it is an AK74+GP25

Again, some of you could easily knee jerk react to this and go "so many kits available! over powered ect.", but this is only really the case in bigger squads, and in this case it is up to your SL to guide the selection of kits to suit the strategy and playstyle you will be going for.

It is still possible to play as small squads to great effect. Especially Militia and Insurgents, were you can infiltrate and engage US or Russian forces in their territory without your gun sounds giving you away OR as smaller hit and run RPG teams.

There are many choices to make, and they are all yours (soon)!

This is a really smart move on your side for the EA release. Again, nice work guy´s! Now let´s all take dem newbies on their hands and show them how team play games should be played ! :)

Fuck.

I need to get off these forums. 

Too much hype.

Thanks Z!! These changes will definitely help pop the cherries of these new players and assist in integration.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu - 2 Grenediers per squad,

GET THE FOOK IN 

Great to see the game up on Steam.

Thanks for detailing the new system. Sounds like a fantastic addition to encourage the new players to work with their SQUAD.

Looking forward to seeing those servers fill up.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu - 2 Grenediers per squad,

SgtRoss insisted.

You guys will be the guinea pigs if there will be too much explosion spam or not...

A full squad should be a force to be reckoned with. A lone guy can't possibly hope to be more than a speed bump.

SgtRoss insisted.

You guys will be the guinea pigs if there will be too much explosion spam or not...

A full squad should be a force to be reckoned with. A lone guy can't possibly hope to be more than a speed bump.

Sorry Z that wasn't very clear, that was excitement I was expressing. I love this!

Oh I know :) we are curious to see how it turns out too ;) And excited to try a few new tactics that wasn't possible before. Beware if you see me and SgtRoss in the same squad on the opposite team.

The dribbling, frothing and excited twitch is playing hell with my typing  :lol:  :lol:

Grenadier is my favourite class after SL. So I'm absolutely buzzing about testing this

I seriously can't wait! So excited for these new factions and roles.

So sick of seeing 3 man squads, will teach people to play together a lot more, I just hope people don't join a squad get the weapon then leave the squad

Those are features that i'm waiting for a while! That's is the way DEV and i'm every day more satisfied about my pledge to you! Those little mecanics may prevent a lot of annoying situations!

Seems like a good idea to me

but what happens if I join a game with 18 players per side

and the only choice I have is to be a single man squad ?

Would I stick around (as a new steam player) because I only had a stick that popped out a bit of paper with BANG written on it ?

Just asking ? 

Good changes, Not real sure if the two Grenadier slots will be good or bad.

No grenadier kit for INS at all and 2 per squad now for US????? Uh, hello? Game over.... Now we get to look forward to twice the nade spam that already exists. Noob tube heaven.

Yeah I prefer things like gl/at being limited and having to use them wisely,these are the most devastating weapons in the game right now. constant explosion spam may be worse then unlimited sniper kits lol. we will see how it plays out tho.

We fixed a bug where UGL explosions did double the intended damage. So next patch they will essentially only do half damage.

No grenadier kit for INS at all and 2 per squad now for US????? Uh, hello? Game over.... Now we get to look forward to twice the nade spam that already exists. Noob tube heaven.

Yeah I prefer things like gl/at being limited and having to use them wisely,these are the most devastating weapons in the game right now. constant explosion spam may be worse then unlimited sniper kits lol. we will see how it plays out tho.

Knew that there was something that I forgot to add to the main post:

• NEW: We are currently adding a feature where you will have a maximum number of "special" kits so the entire squad isn't filled with LAT's and UGL's - choices will have to be made.

Forgot to add it because we are currently working on this functionality (work in progress). More info on this as we finish it.

And please remember "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING"-guys, that you haven't seen the entire change log, this is but one entry of a long list.

I'm just in awe of what to come :D

Today my PC leaves the warehouse and I should be up and running by next week. Psyched!!!

Looks nice, but in my opinion the insurgents kits shouldn't be nerfed too much as it is more realistic to have small squad( 3-4 players) but still being able to have some specialized kits.