Sign in to follow this  
Reggin

New Class: Civilian

I think it would be neat if the Insurgent Forces featured a class called "civilians." The class would function similarly to the civilian in Project Reality. Civilians could be lack firearms however would have a phone, rocks and an IED giving them the ability to place these and stand back watching the carnage of oncoming troops or vehicles.

With civilians, US troops would be required to follow ROE which means that a civilian would have to be doing something hostile such as planting an IED, assisting the insurgents or driving vehicles. Killing civilians without proper ROE would cost the team 5-10 tickets and the person that shot the civilian without cause would receive a large deduction of points.

I guess it can be coded that once a civilian either (a) plants an IED, ( B) gets in a vehicle or © enters a insurgent FOB area, they would be marked as an insurgent collaborator for 1-5 minutes giving US troops a window to kill the civilian without being penalized. 

This seams like a damn good idea at first read. We should give this some thought as a Community.

Have you guys played the civilian class in Project Reality? ;)

A much different play style is needed to be effective. The idea was basically to not be arrested by the blufor and to get them to kill you so you die as a martyr. It brings a whole other dimension to the gameplay.

I'll be interested to hear what the Squad devs have to say about a civvy class.

Haha after he was shot by that USMC dude he just needed to bleed out. He just found a way to speed up that process.

also ropes would be nice, maybe a knife?
also i think its been talked about before, but i would love a suicide vest, with a blast radius of a rpg or ied,
to make it someone fair id make the user have to hold a detonator that stands out and could be IDed by the infidel easily enough that it would be fair.

if you blow up prematurley it counts as suicide, but if you blow up and take infidel with you no penalty :P

No weapons on a civ mate otherwise they are considered non civ, just because it's Afghanistan doesn't mean you can walk around with weapons pointing at people.

The civilian was always a great feature. In a faction where it would otherwise be very risky to stick your head out, you have a class that is given much more wiggle room to look about and report intel. Also prohibits the Blufor from taking out targets willy nilly.

DON'T give them weapons though. That defeats the whole purpose.

Maybe instead of civilians carrying IEDs they could "link" their phones to already placed IEDs, basically meaning they can detonate explosives placed by team mates.

Maybe instead of civilians carrying IEDs they could "link" their phones to already placed IEDs, basically meaning they can detonate explosives placed by team mates.

I kinda like this idea better ;)

I like this idea. It would make it more interesting just for the fact that when you stick your head out over a wall you wont get instantly killed because they would have to verify you are an insurgent before shotting or risk/gamble the loss of points.

It would have problems though with people spawning as civilians and hugging groups of insurgents in order to prevent grenades / rockets / suppression. But I am sure you could find a way to balance out that somehow.

An effective civie player in PR relays information to insurgent squads about nearby enemy units. It's an incredibly satisfying, but difficult role to play.

The ultimate civie role is that of forward observer, difficult to coordinate but terribly realistic when it works.

BRING ON FALLUJAH!

If to much is added in the game, it detracts from the spirit of the game.  We all know that having Civilians on the battlefield would be excellent as long as their bots like GTA.  If you're going for a more milsim approach try this game.

Civies can be excellent for information about US troops.

Also, they should get shovels to help fortify, makes sense considering most work in the fields.

And yes, this isn't altis life and there wouldnt be roleplay, it grants people the ability to take on a fresh, challenging role of someone trying to deceive the enemy and pass information regarding contacts

I think they should be bots.....cause I don't see much fun in playing a civ.

What fun is there in bot civs? They just walk to a designated waypoint and have no impact on gameplay, such fun.

Don't knock it till you try it

If to much is added in the game, it detracts from the spirit of the game.  We all know that having Civilians on the battlefield would be excellent as long as their bots like GTA.  If you're going for a more milsim approach try this game.

I think they should be bots.....cause I don't see much fun in playing a civ.

For the record as stated above, the game this is loosely based off of, Project Reality, has civis in it and it works wonderfully.

Its actually super fun to be a civi because your trying to sneak around and make the americans think your an enemy so they shoot you and lose intel.

the more times you die the quicker they lost.

you also are a valuable asset for reporting intel as well.

EDIT: Also in PR they are only available for Insurgency, when an american captures a civi they get more intel to find a cache location, if they kill them im pretty sure they lose tickets.

would this not lead to "Lone Wolf" something we are trying to avoid?

I don't think lone wolfing will be a problem with the civilian class. Trolling on the other hand, well.....  :D

It's so unbelievably satisfying to get a rock kill lol