SGT:Fluffy

day night cycle

hey kind members and devs! is there any possible way to put a day night cycle where players must face the night warfare where they need to put on night vissions and fight trough the danger of night? at the taliban's side they will put a campfire with a high scale of lightning. i don't know what do you think guys? :)

Do you want the time of day to change as the match progresses?

If so, are you willing to play the same match for 12 hours straight?

Day to night and night to day is excellent.  NVG's (pvs-14) for US squad leader-Yes / NVG's(pvs-5C/7B) for Taliban-Yes,  NVGs for all - No

but if the goal is to make a realistic good war simulator then i think this is a perfect and a rightious thing to do.

Do you want the time of day to change as the match progresses?

If so, are you willing to play the same match for 12 hours straight?

I'm not sure he meant a paralleled day/night cycle, but rather one like GTA V for example, which takes 48 minutes for a full 24 hours to take place. I think that's an hour every 2 minutes, so you could slow it down to an hour every 3 or 4 minutes if you want it to be less noticeable.

you will have NVG if there will be ever a rank up system or a loadout screen maybe.

....and I will find another game to play.

then what about the overal idea of the day night cycle?

DEVs are spoken,that night/day will be in the game also weather changing...for that engine everything is posible..nvg for enybody is not good..just sq.leaders who coordinate with squad anyway...

Ranks you mention?

It is a military game with lots of a teamwork...soldier needs his rank.

I cant helped my self,want to see it in game,near nicknames or on score tab.

If this game represents a 1:1 scale in time (as I assume it does), how much do you expect the day/night cycle to change in an hour?

If this game represents a 1:1 scale in time (as I assume it does), how much do you expect the day/night cycle to change in an hour?

Day/night cycle and weather changing is question for DEVs.

DEVs are spoken,that night/day will be in the game also weather changing...

I like accelerated time in matches, not 1hr/24 or anything, but I always liked ARMA dusk or dawn scenarios where you could notice the light changing. I'm not sure what the ratio is there, but 2 or 3 times as fast is pretty cool.

but if the goal is to make a realistic good war simulator then i think this is a perfect and a rightious thing to do.

That's not the goal at all. The goal is outlined at the top of the FAQ.

Please, don't spread this giant misconception.

For me, it's obvious to implement a day/night for a simulation. Any simulation has it (be it racing sims, warfight sims... or even city builders sims !).

However, I wouldn't like a full 24h real-life time cycle like in some Arma servers. The inconvenient of such solution is you may never see the day or night unless you play at the right time of the day or for 10 hours long...

A 30 minutes cycle or something is a enough I think.

For me, it's obvious to implement a day/night for a simulation. Any simulation has it (be it racing sims, warfight sims... or even city builders sims !).

However, I wouldn't like a full 24h real-life time cycle like in some Arma servers. The inconvenient of such solution is you may never see the day or night unless you play at the right time of the day or for 10 hours long...

A 30 minutes cycle or something is a enough I think.

Except Squad is not a milsim. I dont think Squad needs a day/night cycle when mappers can simply implement various times of day with UE4's system. I have read it is fairly simple.

I dont see anything wrong as a player having to simply be content with one map having one time of day. Having multiple versions of the same map according to different times of the day also allows the mapper to implement detailed differences and only have that much more depth between the different versions.

However, if someone were to mod some sort of Arma-esque PVE co-op system or a Wasteland type PvP system, I could see time of day being much more important.

As it stands with 'vanilla' Squad, with the types of matches and game modes it will probably ship with, day/night cycles dont seem very relevant.

Except Squad is not a milsim. I dont think Squad needs a day/night cycle when mappers can simply implement various times of day with UE4's system. I have read it is fairly simple.

I dont see anything wrong as a player having to simply be content with one map having one time of day. Having multiple versions of the same map according to different times of the day also allows the mapper to implement detailed differences and only have that much more depth between the different versions.

However, if someone were to mod some sort of Arma-esque PVE co-op system or a Wasteland type PvP system, I could see time of day being much more important.

As it stands with 'vanilla' Squad, with the types of matches and game modes it will probably ship with, day/night cycles dont seem very relevant.

If Squad is not a milsim, it is close to it. It's more sim than arcade, no ?

We could have both, fixed weather maps and cycling weather maps. It could also be a server setting.

If Squad is not a milsim, it is close to it. It's more sim than arcade, no ?

We could have both, fixed weather maps and cycling weather maps. It could also be a server setting.

It is neither sim nor arcade, that is my point.

Sure, I never said we couldn't have both. I just told you I see it very unlikely that Squad, upon full initial release and in its core form, will have day/night cycles.

I'd like to see this, but only if the nighttime is the sort of semi-dark thing we get in games like Fallout 4. All players should be able to see reasonably well at night.

I say this for a few reasons:

i) I don't find it particularly fun to play in complete darkness and be completely incapable of seeing anything. 

ii) I don't find NVG-gameplay to be particularly fun. The tunnel-vision effect combined with the everything-is-green deal gets rather annoying after a while. Yes, it's realistic, but it's a game too.

iii) Nobody's going to want to play as an insurgent without NVGs if everybody else has them. 

iv) I don't want players to feel they need to alter their contrast, gamma, and brightness settings in order to be effective in a fight. 

in JointOps we could adjust the time-of-day rate, think it was a server setting. anyhoo, a full cycle from early evening (late arvo) to early morning (post dawn), seemed to work well if it took about 2-3 hours.