SGT:Fluffy

day night cycle

It doesn't make sense for Squad; for a survival game such as DayZ or Rust as you suggest, makes a lot more sense.

it makes a lot of sense when it comes to survival and tactics infect survival and tactics plays a huge role especially when it comes at night in squad and in basically every game.

sorry but are you saying that the army would give one person night vision and the rest of the squad nothing. are you saying that only one person should see what is going on at any given time?

no one will become lone rangers because of night vision...also there already lones wolfs so that wont increase.

When I was at Catterick doing basic Para training, we were on stag at 3am.. when I say the forest was pitch black.. i mean pitch black. We had 2 pair of NVG's. And were told that was all each unit would get in the field, due to budgets and costs. So yes a limited amount would be realistic. Usually the point man with LSW and the SD ldr.

I believe all players should have NVG's. It is realistic. I have read several articles that tell how Insurgents and Militants either steal NVG's, or have NVG's. i would agree if these factions, as well as other upcoming factions like these, have lower quality NVG's, as Insurgency does that. The Russian and US, and the several other factions upcoming that are advanced, should get higher quality NVG's. My two cents. Id like some feedback.

That made me think, what if the militant/insurgent NVGs would be semi randomly distributed? Cause like you said, sometimes they just steal them. What if, say, squad leaders have a higher probability and fireteam leaders next, but still randomly generated where even sometimes they wouldn't?

This would add an interesting dynamic when every player has a chance to have to step up and use their abilities, end communicate. It could go wrong, sure, but so could squad leader. I think it's neat.

sorry but are you saying that the army would give one person night vision and the rest of the squad nothing. are you saying that only one person should see what is going on at any given time?

no one will become lone rangers because of night vision...also there already lones wolfs so that wont increase.

my point. its not our fault somebody will lone wolf. most of the players in this community are smart ( at least, the vets and oldies like me are). 

Except Squad is not a milsim. I dont think Squad needs a day/night cycle when mappers can simply implement various times of day with UE4's system. I have read it is fairly simple.

I dont see anything wrong as a player having to simply be content with one map having one time of day. Having multiple versions of the same map according to different times of the day also allows the mapper to implement detailed differences and only have that much more depth between the different versions.

/sign

I think the lack of NVGs could be enjoyable if the "militia" factions were in scenarios where they outnumber the "professional" faction.

Scenario 1:

25 NATO Forces vs 75 Taliban

Objective is simply to stay alive (keep enough tickets) until dawn or the weather subsides when air support and extraction is available.

FOB's would be risky long term, as it would be best to simply run and evade unless terrain makes it impossible.  If things stay infantry vs infantry with a FOB, I must admit that I enjoy seeing human wave attacks.

Both sides must be smart, communications and tactical choices would matter immensely.

To add to this I also suggest FLARES for the "militia" faction.

No need for accelerated time if a map begins a half hour before dusk or dawn. Might be interesting if the change from day to night or vice versa resulted in an extra spawn point or equipment, something like insurgents getting reinforcements at dawn or US Army getting an extra Blackhawk flying at after dusk.

I like your idea, just imagine having been fighting for two hours, while it's slowly getting darker/lighter, totally affecting the battlefield (players) and tactics in real time.

No need for accelerated time if a map begins a half hour before dusk or dawn. Might be interesting if the change from day to night or vice versa resulted in an extra spawn point or equipment, something like insurgents getting reinforcements at dawn or US Army getting an extra Blackhawk flying at after dusk.

we have UNREAL ENGINE that means we owe one of the most advanced engines so we should make use of it.

we have UNREAL ENGINE that means we owe one of the most advanced engines so we should make use of it.

Indeed they should (don't know about their skill level or background except for being retired pr-devs) but I reckon they'll manage to make more use of it as they progress with the development.