SGT:Fluffy

day night cycle

I see no issues with having a function which serves a purpose of giving more options that has very little impact on the core mechanics, the ability to put night vision on or off is a button press.

The implications afterwards just need to be handled as they would if you had static night and day.

Day to night and night to day is excellent.  NVG's (pvs-14) for US squad leader-Yes / NVG's(pvs-5C/7B) for Taliban-Yes,  NVGs for all - No

what do you mean by "NVG's for all-no"? do you want only squad lead to? becuase that shudnt be it, sorry to disagree. But now, it is a commin thing in insurgent and militia as well. idk how they get it, but i have a slight idea how. therefore, i beelive all should be equipped with NVG. like in arma, you have them at all times, but you turn them on (duh) whe its night (if the day-night cycle is added)

I think day/night cycles is a good thing. And no, it need not be on a 1:1 scale, time in SQUAD can be accelerated for this. Think the day/night cycle of Far Cry 3. The game has already shown that accelerating time is okay, if you look at how fast you can build a foxhole with a shovel. It won't be realistic duh, but hey, SQUAD isn't meant to be on that level of realism, right?

Day and night cycles can switch up tactics, encouraging versatility among squads. It will be more challenging, and it will be frustrating getting killed from unknown places, but it can also offer platforms for asymmetrical warfare. For instance, there is the ability of the Americans to use NVGs and then there's the ability of insurgents to burn tires and stuff, as mentioned in a couple of other threads.

As you can see in the November Recap, we are integrating TrueSky, which gives us a pretty straightforward and configurable day/night cycle.  It's the same system that Arma 3 and ARK uses :)  We can set the day/night cycle as long (or as short) as we want.  And, when we add Aircraft, you'll be able to fly through the clouds.  

sounds good - I'm pretty sure I mentioned at some point somewhere as a fix for people wanting a little night but not too much, is to have missions start at dawn. That way the map gets lighter and lighter until it's daytime.

sounds good - I'm pretty sure I mentioned at some point somewhere as a fix for people wanting a little night but not too much, is to have missions start at dawn. That way the map gets lighter and lighter until it's daytime.

That was always my solution when I created missions for Arma 3. Or occasionally make some missions at sunset. Rarely would I make full on night missions, and if I did it was always the brightest possible moon I could have. :D

fire fights ata rainy night right in the mountains - that would be great.

I would suggest a change of the daytime like the creater of this thread already said in rust, just in a longer scale.

i would like a night/day system. in U4 its very easy to set up so there no problem on that front. 

with a night system we can have a Flash Light on both sides.

With a night/day system would also help control the pacing of the game as well. with starting  the map in a very late dark (4 am) you can then start slowly going into day time.

what do you mean by "NVG's for all-no"? do you want only squad lead to? becuase that shudnt be it, sorry to disagree. But now, it is a commin thing in insurgent and militia as well. idk how they get it, but i have a slight idea how. therefore, i beelive all should be equipped with NVG. like in arma, you have them at all times, but you turn them on (duh) whe its night (if the day-night cycle is added)

The reason for only squad leaders having them is to give them the ability to make descisions based on having the nvg's. If you give them to everyone then Everyone is a Lone Ranger night fighter. Might as well give everyone acogs w/UGL and med kits. A fist fight is supposed to be raw, but if you start adding brass knuckles, cups, eye protection. It can become one sided easily. That's what makes BF4 not so much fun to play anymore. The rampant amount of NVGs and thermal scopes ruin the spirit of the game.

The reason for only squad leaders having them is to give them the ability to make descisions based on having the nvg's. If you give them to everyone then Everyone is a Lone Ranger night fighter. Might as well give everyone acogs w/UGL and med kits. A fist fight is supposed to be raw, but if you start adding brass knuckles, cups, eye protection. It can become one sided easily. That's what makes BF4 not so much fun to play anymore. The rampant amount of NVGs and thermal scopes ruin the spirit of the game.

sorry but are you saying that the army would give one person night vision and the rest of the squad nothing. are you saying that only one person should see what is going on at any given time?

no one will become lone rangers because of night vision...also there already lones wolfs so that wont increase.

So far the night maps don't require NVGs, if they do make darker maps, then I would forsee the use of NVGs. But again as long as the taliban has an equivalent set of NVGs. If the answer is "whoa, taliban ain't got no NVGs. Then We're back to an unbalanced fight. Maybe the devs want all factions to eventually have NVGs, acogs, lasers and other tools that do their job for them. Gotta keep some things reserved for the thrill of the unknown. And yes the army would give the squad leader NVGs and not the whole squad. How were wars fought before everyone had space aged technologies were abundant? Too much too fast is going to push this into an arma 3 or battlefield 4. People were ranting and raving for NVGs, more and more in Insurgency. So far it has killed all aspects of teamwork. Just my rationale.

No NVGs...imagine...one squad is pinned down on one hill and sun goes down and they wait until is enough dark to sneak out from that position ... saved by the night  ;)

No NVGs...imagine...one squad is pinned down on one hill and sun goes down and they wait until is enough dark to sneak out from that position ... saved by the night ;)

Yes NVGs and yes to what you wrote.

Just make it different for factions.

US (or modern Euro) have NVGs as they do IRL. Then you can have e g Militia vs MEC and they won't have.

We can have it all, NVG vs NVG, NVG vs not & not vs not :)

It would be so good if they added a day night cycle. Why waste Unreal 4 Engine's potential? I think a good time frame would be one or two hours for a full day considering that's how long matches in PR lasted.

I believe all players should have NVG's. It is realistic. I have read several articles that tell how Insurgents and Militants either steal NVG's, or have NVG's. i would agree if these factions, as well as other upcoming factions like these, have lower quality NVG's, as Insurgency does that. The Russian and US, and the several other factions upcoming that are advanced, should get higher quality NVG's. My two cents. Id like some feedback.

the NVG  meant for like, Russians MEC forces or any kind of a powerful fraction. my idea was if it is a conquest game where USA has to take out enemy capture zone

and the night cycle starts the insurgent squad leaders are able to set like fire barrels(a extra slot for the building category) with a high lightning range so that the insurgents go in full defence so you have to play it smart.

the NVG  meant for like, Russians MEC forces or any kind of a powerful fraction. my idea was if it is a conquest game where USA has to take out enemy capture zone

and the night cycle starts the insurgent squad leaders are able to set like fire barrels(a extra slot for the building category) with a high lightning range so that the insurgents go in full defence so you have to play it smart.

it is hard to see for the USA troops with an NVG if there is bright light and it is hard to see for insurgents it is dark.

I think they will certainly give this a go as they want the maps to be sort of randomly generated each go around. Day/night cycle is a natural progression for that. 

It doesn't make sense for Squad; for a survival game such as DayZ or Rust as you suggest, makes a lot more sense.

I'd like true time most personally. If a good round last 2-3 hours we have a great setting for; We attack at dawn! ;)

But I like options, let's share the wealth.