Sign in to follow this  
MauserGDog

RPG Rounds have no effect at close range - Player Models, Terrain & Buildings

Could the devs comment on the current state of RPG warheads interacting with models, terrain and buildings at very close range, and what changes they may have planned?

Several times now, I've noticed an RPG projectile will seemingly pass through a wall, ground or possibly even an enemy player (unconfirmed) when fired at very close ranges, perhaps 1-5m. The result is no explosion, and a prolonged RPG "WOOOOSHING" sound effect.

Is this an intentional design choice, to prevent situations like accidental team killing as a result of firing an RPG from say, behind a wall or hill while not aware of the height over terrain at the muzzle?

So far I've had it happen under these conditions:

1. climbed to top of ladder, looked over wall to see enemy at base of wall, fired RPG at ground directly below with no effect

2. enemy stormed into compound through door I was covering, fired RPG at ground 3-5m away in hopes of splashing multiple enemies, no effect

I am always in favor of increased realism, and would have no problem if my fellow insurgent schwacked me by accident when he fires his RPG into say, a door frame in front of us.

On the flip side, if I charge through a door as a US soldier, I'd fully expect a crazy insurgent to take himself out along with me and my squad by firing his RPG at the ground.

Thanks for reading, hope I haven't overlooked something on the forums already, I searched.

koba   

Could the devs comment on the current state of RPG warheads interacting with models, terrain and buildings at very close range, and what changes they may have planned?

Several times now, I've noticed an RPG projectile will seemingly pass through a wall, ground or possibly even an enemy player (unconfirmed) when fired at very close ranges, perhaps 1-5m. The result is no explosion, and a prolonged RPG "WOOOOSHING" sound effect.

Is this an intentional design choice, to prevent situations like accidental team killing as a result of firing an RPG from say, behind a wall or hill while not aware of the height over terrain at the muzzle?

So far I've had it happen under these conditions:

1. climbed to top of ladder, looked over wall to see enemy at base of wall, fired RPG at ground directly below with no effect

2. enemy stormed into compound through door I was covering, fired RPG at ground 3-5m away in hopes of splashing multiple enemies, no effect

I am always in favor of increased realism, and would have no problem if my fellow insurgent schwacked me by accident when he fires his RPG into say, a door frame in front of us.

On the flip side, if I charge through a door as a US soldier, I'd fully expect a crazy insurgent to take himself out along with me and my squad by firing his RPG at the ground.

Thanks for reading, hope I haven't overlooked something on the forums already, I searched.

There's a delayed fuse I thought. It doesn't arm for an amount of time. Is this what you are talking about? Same with the 40mm.

Zeno965   

Actually the RPG doesnt have a safety fuse if i recall correctly, there is a cap you pull that arms the grenade, making it explode at any high impact:

3:45 he explains how it works

So rocket jumping is out then? I guess I can live with that. ;)

I can confirm RPG's will detonate at about 10m, I made a real mess of a US squad last night as they ran along a wall. Damn I love the RPG kit!

Zeno965   

any devs that can explain how the RPG damage works? is it spherical or does it deal more damage in certain directions? seems like every time i hit a couple of meters past the enemy they take little to no damage.

SgtRoss   

yea i thought that common rpg7 warhead that is in all the iraq war videos had zero delayed fuse, with some nasty results!

It varies depending on manufacturer, but it is generally 5m. However, we have it at 10m to prevent people from constantly trying to suicide with them as they rush into a tiny compound to pull one off. It is not a CQB weapon and should not be treated as such.

Also, the damage is spherical with an inner and outer blast radius.

Zeno965   

rgr, will splinters be implemented in near future?

tatzhit   
On 11/11/2015 at 4:26 PM, SgtRoss said:

It varies depending on manufacturer, but it is generally 5m. However, we have it at 10m to prevent people from constantly trying to suicide with them as they rush into a tiny compound to pull one off. It is not a CQB weapon and should not be treated as such.

I realize this is a minor issue, but it would be nice if the actual rocket still did impact damage though. I put one though an enemy's torso at 2m just now (flame trail and all) and he shrugged it off. IRL he'd have 8 pounds of rocket traveling through his ribcage.

i agree with tatzhit:

how about, and i know this requires another Damage Type, damage from the un-armed round hitting people/objects, ie: no explosion of course but a fair whack of damage inflicted as impact damage. That way they could impact and cause some damage/effect - hitting and squibbing on objects and peeps taking "some" damage from being hit by one (like in-cap but not dead, or something?) - rather than projectiles magically dissappearing through objects and such.

On 2015/11/12 at 1:40 AM, Zeno965 said:

Actually the RPG doesnt have a safety fuse if i recall correctly, there is a cap you pull that arms the grenade, making it explode at any high impact:

OMG, an American citizen can buy a RPG launcher?:o

3:45 he explains how it works