(303rd)Pvt.SLiPYCaT

Steam controller support?

I'll be getting my steam controller in a few hours "just checked and its on the truck for delivery woohoo" and I'm wondering if it's going to work with SQUAD due to no controller support yet 0_o Can any Dev's confirm if the steam controller is any different or if I can assign key maps to the controller like a keyboard or mouse?

Idartd   

You guys and your controllers. I will never understand

Way easier for piloting ;) I used an Xbox 360 controller for flying in PR. Sold the Xbox with the controller to upgrade my PC so now I'm waiting for a joystick instead. Any use other than driving or flying is beyond me though

why would you use a controller for pc gaming

Comfort? I don't see how its a big deal you're not exactly losing out on anything by using a controller in Squad

Ability to sit back and be confortable is huge "if I'm not confortable it affects my gameplay" plus vehicle and player movement is more percice. I fly and drive a lot but don't like the fight stick I currently own and I don't own a wheel and pedals yet! When I play BF series I use the controller in my left hand and mouse in my right hand then when I get in a vehicle I let go of the mouse and use only controller. The reason I use the mouse in my right hand and not the controller is because the mouse is way more accurate and can turn on a dime. I'm hoping that this Steam Controller resolves this has more percice aiming then a normal ol Xbox controller does so I can ditch the mouse all together. Only time will tell.

accuracy?!

I love posts like these, you can see who the converts to pc gaming from consoles.

Lol. That's exactly right! I came from console about 2.5 years ago. I don't have a problem with mouse and keyboard "it has its advantages, mainly accuracy" but a controller has its advantages too for certian types of games. "Mainly driving and flying IMO"

LoL Steam Controller Support, i hope not. Because that man-work-hours should be spent better. A Controller and a true tac-shooter. well.-

I agree to a certain extent, but there's no doubt players want controller support for vehicles. "I don't use a controller when I play the ArmA series like I do with the BF series because it don't feel quite right. I haven't grasped the ability to pilot or drive with a m&kb, it ends badly every time so I resort to what works perfectly for me, a controller! Different strokes for different folks. It all comes down to preference.

Carlos   

If you have to use your controller just use Xpadder... its a great keyboard/mouse emulator.  DL Here

I used to use it to fly in ArmA3 because my beloved old controller had no other support.  Twas brilliant. :D

Gurman   

If it's Arma I use a controller for flying and driving, it's easy to switch between that and the keyboard. If it's DCS then I use the HOTAS.

I also use voice attack as I'm lazy lol

I personally would never use a keyboard and mouse for games such as darksouls, driving games and so forth. There are games where the keyboard and mouse are not ideal. That being said we will not be building in official controller support (although you actually can use a controller to move ingame already :P In terms of the steam controller itself it allows the community to make their own custom layouts, so there is no reason that you should not be able to use the steam controller in the game even though it might not be ideel (for choppers or vehicles it might be though)

Why on this good earth would you want to play squad with a controller?

He's already answered it in the thread man. And it's one of the beautiful things about PC gaming. Options.

smokedog   

I had a video from tonight I use the delta six motion controller been testing in game for the last week starting to get it all calibrated right then tonight I added in the Kinect for body tracking which now I step forward and so does my character in game final stages of setting up stances and once free look is in stick a fork in it. was trying to make a post with the link for the video but forums are stopping me, the question is why would I want to go back to a kb and mouse now we have this type of tech monitor, VR, Delta six, Kinect, G27, Hotas warthog the immersion I am getting using these controls is top notch feels like I am as close to the action as possible in VR and on a 42inch screen even to the point of fatigue setting in. I don't do gamepads but do appreciate controllers to take you to the next level.

I understand why you want a controller for heli/planes... but why bring this s*** into everything else in Squad?

The steam controller is not your average controller. Touch pad and gyro tech for aiming is the wave of the future. Can't bag it till you try it!