(303rd)Pvt.SLiPYCaT

Steam controller support?

52 posts in this topic

I understand why you want a controller for heli/planes... but why bring this s*** into everything else in Squad?

Guys if you want to give a valid reason for not having controllers I will listen, if anyone else wants to give useless answers like this I would advise you to take a break from your cpu for ten minutes, or I may need to help you with that break.

I also use a controller, I have grown up with commodore, Sega, PlayStation, Nintendo, Xbox and arcades.

Do you think I'm really going to change my 20 or so years habits because some twit on the internet says I should?

I also put my name down for controller support, ALL aspects.

You could always pair it with something like this to get the extra functions. I use one of these when I am playing a mp game that requires a controller plus TS (VOIP).

http://www.amazon.com/Stinky-Gaming-Footboard-Foot-Controller/dp/B00EOPT5ZS

Pretty cool idea, I may actually consider it. I've never used a normal KB to game on PC, I love the fact there are so many control options in the PC world. Here's what I use when if im playing on a KB, there's nothing better IMO.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

I'd like to have controller support in the game. While mouse is better for aiming, I do feel that controller is better for movement due to the sticks being "stepless", so you can control your running and sprinting speed. On keyboards you only get to turn running and sprinting off and on, there's no in-between. Keyboards do however have alot more buttons.

The G13 basically solves that problem, allowing you to get alot of buttons for various functions while using a stick to allow you to control your movement. Is it possible to program native support for the G13?

Also, regarding the controller not having enough buttons for proning, make it like Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Press the button once to crouch, hold it for a short time to prone. It felt really intuitive in MGS5.

I'd like to have controller support in the game. While mouse is better for aiming, I do feel that controller is better for movement due to the sticks being "stepless", so you can control your running and sprinting speed. On keyboards you only get to turn running and sprinting off and on, there's no in-between. Keyboards do however have alot more buttons.

The G13 basically solves that problem, allowing you to get alot of buttons for various functions while using a stick to allow you to control your movement. Is it possible to program native support for the G13?

Also, regarding the controller not having enough buttons for proning, make it like Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Press the button once to crouch, hold it for a short time to prone. It felt really intuitive in MGS5.

Is that additional to your normal keyboard?

Yes and yes, you can use native controls with the g13 you can even set the thumb stick to walk and strife like a controller if you choose. I also have a normal KB but never touch it while gaming.

accuracy?!

I love posts like these, you can see who the converts to pc gaming from consoles.

You wanna play me in CPMA/Reflex/CS and tell me how much of a console gamer I am?

The guy wanted to use a controller you shouldn't shame him for it - also squad is hardly a twitch/pixel shooter

On 11/10/2015 at 5:34 PM, RoyAwesome said:

I have a simple config set up, but there aren't enough buttons on the controller to do some actions, like Prone or VOIP.  

if you wish, you can simple copy my config.

i have everything set up in a normal and easy way to use config plus i made sure to have room for the future Vehicles. 

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/255957580510710498/0C8C2A37EB0DACDACAA5AD18C0776DF361BD7F6C/

if you wish i simple upload my file on to the steam config so you can test it out.

two things to note there is the "Touch menu" under the right pad which will be your weapon select, the left trigger works as your aiming and your sprint. if the player hold still and press the sprint he will do the focus as you planned. 

soft pull = aim

full pull = sprint.

prone and Crouch are two buttons right now but a new update is coming soon for the SC that lets us have a tap and hold which means they be on the B button. (or you give us an keyboard option which i like as well)

the right pad can be set up with a touch menu too if you want a SL chat from 1 to 9 but i have not done so because i dislike SL role. plus if you wish you can also move the lean right/left to the gyro.

so free buttons in the future, the A button, The L3 (stick click for the left stick), Gyro left and right are open for use, and of course the left touch menu from anywhere from 2 buttons all the way to 16 buttons config mode.

either way you team does not need to support the SC has it fully supports the game already just as long the joystick mode is still within the game for movement but a Native support for steam controller or gamepad would not have an issue with me.

Edited by RaulO4

while his config works and I like it. it just that it has a few issues.

the way he has the Mic set up does not let you move,shoot, or do any other action while doing those basic things. being able to speak while in combat, healing, and so on is very important. that is why my config has local and Squad chat on the Gribs. He has to many Sprint buttons which could have been used for other commands. So my config follows more of a standard FPS config that many user will have the muscle memory already.

i hope RoyAwesome reads my replay to his commands and test out my config to see that it is completely possible to have a working config for Squad that is not cumbersome to use. It be a shame for the team to dismiss the game working on the Steam controller simple because of not knowing how and when to use the steam features...which you cant blame him...Valve does not do a good job on pushing the feature possibility to the consumer and instead lets the community do the work.   

Edited by RaulO4

sorry for bring the thread back but its better than creating a new one right.

here an idea for the Devs to place a Steam Default config on the Steam system as i feel its important to have a Devs Recommend Config.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705663316

The B button is now setup has Tap for Crouch and hold for Prone

The Voice Chat system is a toggle system. Tap is V, Double Tap is B, and a hold is G (G is not toggle, there is a small bug here..its a new beta)

Squad Leader Menu is a toggle so a simple Tap will do.

Now, this is changeable. Lean left/right. how i have it is Dpad touch left and touch right. When the user press in it also press A or D depending on the side. which lets the user walk while leaning. it this way for me because i dislike how the leaning toggle works in Squad. my brain always try to press Q to get out of leaning right. 

people can move it to the bumper if they wish.

weapon selection is still done by Touch Menu.

1. is set to 2

2. is set to 5

3. is set to 3

4. is set to 1

5. is set to 4

6. is set to 6

7. is set to M

and the mode is set on touch Release. why main weapon is set to the 4th spot? because in a array of 7 the 4th spot is the biggest and its in the middle. 

well has you can see at least with my config RB,X,A and left stick click are still open. i did this by design for Vehicles. plus...with Action Menu we can optimize the controls for Vehicles as well. when the update comes i get to work on it.  

Edited by RaulO4

I have a Steam controller due to bursitis in my mousing arm. Arguably caused by mouse and keyboard work actually, so the SC seemed a good Idea.
Trouble is, no matter what i do, i can't get the community made profiles won't work in Squad, but they do in Arma and thru a lot of mucking around, in BF 1.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

On 2015-11-11 at 0:06 AM, Masterjts said:

You could always pair it with something like this to get the extra functions. I use one of these when I am playing a mp game that requires a controller plus TS (VOIP).

http://www.amazon.com/Stinky-Gaming-Footboard-Foot-Controller/dp/B00EOPT5ZS

I've been thinking of getting this, lol. If only for a few voip channels or having my gear off my number keys.

Come to think of it, I'd kill for a knife in this game. There's been quite a few times where me and an enemy face off, or they don't know I'm there and It'd be boss to do a silent takedown so the rest of their squad is losing their shit on their mics while I peel off xD

I currently use a PS3 Navigation Wand for movement, reloading, running, going crouch or prone, and switching gadgets as I absolutely cannot stand using a keyboard for movement. In my other hand is my mouse, the combination is beautiful and I would not have it any other way!  Eventually I'll be buying another Aimon Elite XB set (I had broken my wand in that set). Anytime I do fly (rare) I prefer a controller any day over a K/M set up.

Jesus freaking christ, people, if the man want to config a controller for playing Squad let him be!

Personally I didn't liked it. The past week I tried to play with an old Xbox 360 controller and I felt like Robocop... but there are people who are in the transition between console-pc (like me four years earlier) and they feel akward playing with the mouse and keyboard...

Edited by Sergeant.Roland.

I just got my steam controller as well (steam link gets here on Monday). Last night was my first time testing it and today should be the first time I play a full game. But in setting up the controller, I am having a small issue with the current profiles and voice comms. Basically cant seem to be able to use TS and/or normal voice comms with the controller? Anyone has any solutions?

I'm trying to get ExistentialEgg's steam profile to work in game, but something is a problem. Others ate using his profile worth no trouble at all

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Being left handed the steam controller is really enticing to me. Even after re-arranging my keyboard it still does not feel native to me. Nothing really does, everything has to be adapted to but, the steam controller seems like a more universal option for us wrong handed people. I actually just got one in the mail yesterday. Spent a couple hours re-arranging the controls. It was surprisingly easy to configure considering all of the nightmare reviews I've read online. Still not perfect and I can imagine I will be doing a lot of tweaking in the next few months till I get something I'm comfortable with. I am impressed with the quality of the steam controller build. Although I've only had it for a day. The mouse wheel is incredibly responsive and sensitive, the buttons are tact. I can imagine with some practice this thing could be a real competitor to a mnk set up. I will be going balls deep into this for the next few months in order to determine the fate of the controller and update my review. Overall I am optimistic that this will grow on me and improve my control. If anyone is curious to see my left handed set up or wants to share their's add me on steam SonofMarsV

I personally love the idea of keeping the console peasants jacked into their controllers because that simply means a higher K/D ratio for us sensible folks.

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I personally love the idea of keeping the console peasants jacked into their controllers because that simply means a higher K/D ratio for us sensible folks.

Most of nowadays PC peasants(which are 95% of the PC community) are way 2ez, anyway. In Battlefield 3(PC version) PC peasants were so easy that at some point of time I(just for kicks) switched to an xbox360 controller(I've played BF3 on consoles for about ~1000 hours, on top of numerous hours on PC in BF series) and were still able to maintain kdr 5 in infantry(no joke, man, no joke) playing against opponents with mouses on my xbox360 controller(Modded Razer Onza at that point of time).

AFAIK situation with skill of players in Squad is even worse than in Battlefield 3(I don't even want to start talking about BF4/1/Hardline). It is hard to imagine how boring it would be playing Squad with a mouse against opponents who play using controllers(Unless they are Epsilon or Fnatic from BF series).

PS Don't get me wrong, I am one of PC Master Race guys, who understands importance of resolution, FPS, input lag and controls setup.

On 03/06/2017 at 4:26 PM, SonofMarsV said:

Even after re-arranging my keyboard it still does not feel native to me.

I am left-handed. I made a complete overhaul of Squad's default controls and came up with this setup so far(I play with a right-handed setup: keyboard in left hand, mouse is in right hand):

DqlJPld.png

Because default setup was very uncomfortable and I couldn't press all buttons at the same time simultaneously I wanted(no, it isn't because I am left-handed, it is because default control setups suck real hard in all games, including Squad): crouch, sprint, strafe, go forward, lean left/right, talk in squad or local chat, zoom and fire, for example. And there are much more of combinations I couldn't achieve using default setup but can achieve now using my setup. This setup isn't perfect, but so far(after playing Squad for 2500 hours) I never was in a situation where I wasn't able to press a button in time because of poor controls setup. I don't really know what I could change to make this setup more responsive, faster or ergonomic. But I know that one can always do better.

for us wrong handed people.

No, you're not wrong-handed. If you want to name it somehow, name it bless-handed or something. It is an advantage to be a left-handed. Left-handed people think differently. Being left-handed person you every day play against right-handed people. And you know how most of the right-handed people think and play because you play against them every time. Right-handed people play against other right-handed people, too. But right-handed people don't usually play against left-handed people. Only ~10% of players are left-handed and they think very differently. That's why it is an advantage to be left-handed.

Where right-handed will choose to turn right, left handed will choose to turn left and vise versa(not in all but in a lot of situations). Only because of this it is much harder for right-handed people to predict left-handed people than for left-handed people to predict right-handed people. And for left-handed people(because they're left-handed and they do understand how other left-handed people think) it is possible and easier to predict other left-handed people than it is for right-handed people(because they're right-handed and they don't understand left-handed people, unless they somehow study it, which 99.99% people don't do).

And it is true in all games: Squad, Badminton, Ping-pong or Box, for example.

Nothing really does, everything has to be adapted to but, the steam controller seems like a more universal option

Nah, you will never be able to be as good with any kind of controllers in infantry as with a mix of controllers, which include keyboard and mouse(my setup is an example of mix of different controllers for infantry and for vehicles).

I can imagine with some practice this thing could be a real competitor to a mnk set up.

One could probably pwn lamers on FFA public servers even with a keyboard-pedals-wheel setup but you can never be as good as you can be with mouse and keyboard setup. On any competitive level you will get shrekt real bad by no-lifers with mices and keyboards even if you were the best Squad player of all time but played on that Steam controller.

Edited by Skul

2 minutes ago, Skul said:

Most of nowadays PC peasants(which are 95% of the PC community) are way 2ez, anyway. In Battlefield 3(PC version) PC peasants were so easy that at some point of time I(just for kicks) switched to an xbox360 controller(I've played BF3 on consoles for about ~1000 hours, on top of numerous hours on PC in BF series) and were still able to maintain kdr 5 in infantry(no joke, man, no joke) playing against opponents with mouses on my xbox360 controller.

AFAIK situation with skill of players in Squad is even worse than in Battlefield 3(I don't even want to start talking about BF4/1/Hardline). It is hard to imagine how boring it would be playing Squad with a mouse against opponents who play using controllers(Unless they are Epsilon or Fnatic from BF series).

PS Don't get me wrong, I am one of PC Master Race guys, who understands importance of resolution, FPS, input lag and controls setup.

I am left-handed. I made a complete overhaul of Squad's default controls and came up with this setup so far(I play with a right-handed setup: keyboard in left hand, mouse is in right hand):

DqlJPld.png

Because default setup was very uncomfortable and I couldn't press all buttons at the same time simultaneously I wanted: crouch, sprint, strafe, go forward, lean left/right, talk in squad or local chat, zoom and fire, for example. And there are much more of combinations I couldn't achieve using default setup but can achieve now using my setup. This setup isn't perfect, but so far(after playing Squad for 2500 hours) I never was in a situation where I wasn't able to press a button in time because of poor controls setup. I don't really know what I could change to make this setup more responsive, faster or ergonomic. But I know that one can always do better.

No, you're not wrong-handed. If you want to name it somehow, name it bless-handed or something. It is an advantage to be a left-handed. Left-handed people think differently. Being left-handed person you every day play against right-handed people. And you know how most of the right-handed people think and play because you play against them every time. Right-handed people play against other right-handed people, too. But right-handed people don't usually play against left-handed people. Only ~10% of players are left-handed and they think very differently. That's why it is an advantage to be left-handed.

Where right-handed will choose to turn right, left handed will choose to turn left and vise versa(not in all but in a lot of situations). Only because of this it is much harder for right-handed people to predict left-handed people than for left-handed people to predict right-handed people. And for left-handed people(because they're left-handed and they do understand how other left-handed people think) it is possible and easier to predict other left-handed people than it is for right-handed people(because they're right-handed and they don't understand left-handed people, unless they somehow study it, which 99.99% people don't do).

And it is true in all games: Squad, Badminton, Ping-pong or Box, for example.

Nah, you will never be able to be as good with any kind of controllers in infantry as with a mix of controllers, which include keyboard and mouse(my setup is an example of mix of different controllers for infantry and for vehicles).

One could probably pwn lamers on FFA public servers even with a keyboard-pedals-wheel setup but you can never be as good as you can be with mouse and keyboard setup. On any competitive level you will get shrekt real bad by no-lifers with mices and keyboards even if you were the best Squad player of all time but played on that Steam controller.

Interesting. I've got it mapped out to the standard Delta Force/Unreal Tournament/Quake/CS binds.

Well it's been about 2 weeks and I'm enjoying everything about the controller. I can't see myself going back to mnk any time soon for shooters. Firstly I'm not MLG nor a peasant shaming try hard. I just love gaming and like to sit back and relax while doing so. With my steam controller I am no longer hunched over stretching my fingers into early arthritis. This thing isn't your average dualshock 4 or xb1 controller this thing has incredible customization. Movement is easy if not better than keys. No more bending my fingers backwards to sprint and broadcast voice now it's just a press of the paddle. Crouch and Prone are a quick bumper away and jump is a familiar A smash. Under my config. aiming is done by the track-pad and the gyro! That's right I get to use both hands and move the whole controller to aim. Of course there is a learning curve I've spent several hours tweaking it the way I like but, I can honestly say aiming has not hampered my competitiveness at all in fact I'd say in vehicles and turrets its improved! The trackpad swivels those vehicle turrets swiftly as well as turning around as infantry (yes I'm on casual servers for all you elitist).

As far as what I said about being wrong handed, the problem isnt with strategy or how I play. We have to adapt to every tool that is given to us considering most things are designed for the other 90% of the pop. My whole life has been re configuring things to make them work for me. So yes, it is both a blessing and a curse. I may have sold myself short by saying keys are not native. I've grown up playing shooters on both PC and console. Re-configs. are not alien to me. Personally I couldn't play the way you have it set up with the mouse in the right hand but, I've also posted my lefty keys set up on another forum.

People who are set in their ways are often the ones who will cry heresy whenever something new is introduced. Steam controller is a viable option for open minded people. Whether you are left or right handed competitive or casual you have to have to be open to try it before you decry it. Until you've put 2500 hours into a steam controller you can't determine that it would be better or worse than what you are used to. 

Edited by SonofMarsV

Woot! Glad to hear someone else loves the Steam controller. It did take me a bit to get back up to speed in games like Rocket League, but I don't think I could go back now. Being able to change how a controller responds to my bad habits and gimpy wrists has been a huge blessing, to the point that I've gone back and enjoyed a lot of games I thought I hated. Turns out, I'm just bad at changing settings. Who knew?

Best tip I got for adjusting was to hold it a little higher up in the hand, more in the fingers than the palm.