Sign in to follow this  
Mike Ol' Mana

Capping the flag

Hello! I usually have a great time playing Squad but yesterday I've had a really boring match in a server with more or less 20ppl on AAS mode because of a (in my opinion) frustating game mechanic: Capping the Flags. When there are not enough players in a server to form up 2/3 full squads, some lonewolves can easely become a big problem and decrease the fun of players who prefer to play for the squad. The problem is that when a team haven't enough players to control all the vulnerable flags, one enemy is enough to neutralize a flag in short time and force the other team to constantly run from a flag to another just to kill one or two enemies... This situation can become really boring and honestly after 30 mins of running and few shots fired I gave up and left the server. So my question is: do you want a realistic shooter? If the map and the server msg can tell you the updated status af a flag, why can't we be aware when the enemies are neutralizing a flag before it's too late? How can be so fast for only one guy to neutralize a flag considering that he shoud be able to control the full flag area alone?

The game is not built around having that number of players on the map / mode. It is suited for considerably more.

To my knowledge also, I could be wrong, I believe you need 3 players to neutralize a flag.

A lot of the time it is best too have somebody back on the Defensive flag so they are able to call out as soon as the enemy begin to cap. That is hard though with the low player count.

Personally I think this is more of a problem with lower server population than the game mechanic itself.

How can be so fast for only one guy to neutralize a flag considering that he shoud be able to control the full flag area alone?

It is impossible for 1 person to neutralize a flag.

3 people are required to neutralize/cap flags.

Hello! I usually have a great time playing Squad but yesterday I've had a really boring match in a server with more or less 20ppl on AAS mode because of a (in my opinion) frustating game mechanic: Capping the Flags. When there are not enough players in a server to form up 2/3 full squads, some lonewolves can easely become a big problem and decrease the fun of players who prefer to play for the squad. The problem is that when a team haven't enough players to control all the vulnerable flags, one enemy is enough to neutralize a flag in short time and force the other team to constantly run from a flag to another just to kill one or two enemies... This situation can become really boring and honestly after 30 mins of running and few shots fired I gave up and left the server. So my question is: do you want a realistic shooter? If the map and the server msg can tell you the updated status af a flag, why can't we be aware when the enemies are neutralizing a flag before it's too late? How can be so fast for only one guy to neutralize a flag considering that he shoud be able to control the full flag area alone?

Also, at present the "parallel AAS" game mode is IMO not only incredibly frustrating with a low amount of people (and just a boring game of running between the flags), I also find it quite breaking in the immersion. Perhaps someone can point out the error in my thinking, but I can't really see a situation in war where that is a reality (I understand that sometimes it is not fortuitous to advance - but surely that should be a team decision, not a mechanic decision).

Not only that, but I think if the game mode is so convoluted I and other veteran players cannot consistently recall exactly how it works then perhaps it should be scrapped or at least refined.

Ideally, to obtain ticket bleed a team should own both adjacent caps to the enemy. That would mean that the team has to work together in order to make sure both avenues are strongly equipped. As it is, punishing a successful northern push by disallowing any more capping feels really artificial and fruitless.

Sure, I love the idea of multiple capture paths, but the locking that occurs between the two is really arbitrary and bizarre and is probably the most "game-y" thing about Squad currently from a meta perspective.

It is impossible for 1 person to neutralize a flag.

3 people are required to neutralize/cap flags.

Thanks! Didn't know... However it was still really boring because those 3 players were running from a flag to another without fighting  <_<

I think if you had some people defending a flag you could have avoided the problem. It may seem boring but defenders usually have a lot more action than people believe. The same principle applies to large games.

Thanks! Didn't know... However it was still really boring because those 3 players were running from a flag to another without fighting  <_<

That's modern warfare. Heckler & Koch e. g. invented the MP7 because in modern warfare troops behind the frontline need a strong but small weapon. Enemies could be everywhere. It's not all about attacking it's also about defending of your important areas.