I've seen quite a few suggestion and question threads regarding when mortars will be introduced to the game, but what I'm more interested to know is how people are expecting these indirect fire weapons to affect gameplay, and also how in-depth people want the mortar system to be.

The reason I've created this discussion is because I've seen a lot of excitement from some people for the eventual arrival of mortars, but I've also seen a lot of complaints (especially in-game) about grenadier and LAT explosive 'spam'. So if people are getting annoyed by small explosives like what's present, then mortars will give them an unpleasant surprise.

I personally don't get irritated by the current amount of explosives going off in any given skirmish, and expect mortars to be a nice addition to the game. In terms of depth I'm not interested in a mortar system that requires me to get out a calculator, but want something a little more complicated than a system like Arma.

Also, keep in mind that land vehicles will be out well before mortars arrive, which means responding to them will be quite a bit easier than if they were released today.

I've seen quite a few suggestion and question threads regarding when mortars will be introduced to the game, but what I'm more interested to know is how people are expecting these indirect fire weapons to affect gameplay, and also how in-depth people want the mortar system to be.

The reason I've created this discussion is because I've seen a lot of excitement from some people for the eventual arrival of mortars, but I've also seen a lot of complaints (especially in-game) about grenadier and LAT explosive 'spam'. So if people are getting annoyed by small explosives like what's present, then mortars will give them an unpleasant surprise.

I personally don't get irritated by the current amount of explosives going off in any given skirmish, and expect mortars to be a nice addition to the game. In terms of depth I'm not interested in a mortar system that requires me to get out a calculator, but want something a little more complicated than a system like Arma.

Also, keep in mind that land vehicles will be out well before mortars arrive, which means responding to them will be quite a bit easier than if they were released today.

The capability of a Mortar when dealing with entrenched opposition and small towns is phenomenal. These are highly desirable pieces of kit than really can change the momentum of a game.

Regarding RPG spam, this is relating to constant re-arming from ammo crates with the current 'unlimited resource' placeholder. Once we have supply chains, this will no longer be as easy to execute 

Indirect fire is a subject close to my heart and I'll be interested in it's development within Squad. How it's implemented and to what level ie: size of mortar will be used.

I feel that it should be a squad/platoon served weapon system and nothing larger.

The British use the Hirtenberger M6-640 60mm mortar which can be carried by one man, hand held and is fired/aimed by eye for direct and indirect fire.

Hirtenberger-60mm-Mortar-740x491.jpg

The Hirtenberger also comes in different barrel lengths and ammo types and a conversion kit which contains a small base plate and aiming device.

So it could also be used traditionally in Squad as a two man operation.  

mortars in PR are awesome--a perfect blend of complexity and easy usability. my point is just trust the devs, theyve done mortars before--and it was done near perfectly ;)

mortars in PR are awesome--a perfect blend of complexity and easy usability. my point is just trust the devs, theyve done mortars before--and it was done near perfectly ;)

Indeed sir!...But this time it gonna be perfect!. ;)

If a squad has constructed a monsterous super FOB that's it just not possibly to assault with infantry without tanking the team's tickets, than you call on the Mortar boys. Shell baby shell.

I love a well designed, well made defensive structure, but there has to be a balance and Mortars are the best counter to them. And even then it's not game over for those hunkered down; either they or a supporting squad can adapt, and try to flank the Mortars in a counter attack.

Mortars, just gameplay wise, will keep the battle flowing instead of a rush, for example, to garrison towns in the center of the map and hunker down for the remainer.

i remember a few times (only like 2 time) in PR where we had actual mortar battles. one time on Kokan we (taliban/insurgents) had a mortar base set up near our main and we found a US mortar FOB near the middle of the map. my SL immediately gave us orders to start shelling in a most saturated way the coordinates of the enemy mortar FOB. we had our 3 mortars all firing on location. but after like 2nd volley, we started taked direct mortar fire ourselves--they had found our mortar emplacement too and at the same time! we lost one mortar tube immediately, but we kept firing HE mortars with the other 2. then we lost another mortar tube which killed me. on the mic i heard that our last mortar tube was taken out also, but that enemy mortar fire had stopped. we rebuilt the mortar tubes and sent about 30 more shells downrange. we got confirmation that their mortar super FOB was entirely destroyed! one of the greatest moments in pc gaming history imo :)

yea, mortars...cant wait!

The capability of a Mortar when dealing with entrenched opposition and small towns is phenomenal. These are highly desirable pieces of kit than really can change the momentum of a game.

Regarding RPG spam, this is relating to constant re-arming from ammo crates with the current 'unlimited resource' placeholder. Once we have supply chains, this will no longer be as easy to execute 

hmm, unlimited resupply. do u believe its a bad thing or a good thing? i mean, i dont believe unlimited, but 5-15 times is OK in a time of 5 minutes maybe?

SgtRoss was a mortarman, and Merlin was the programmer behind the mortars in PR, I think we have the right people ;)

SgtRoss was a mortarman,

Do he suffer from PSBS? xD (People with Small Barrel Syndrome)

SgtRoss was a mortarman, and Merlin was the programmer behind the mortars in PR, I think we have the right people ;)

The A Team. Great to hear. 

Loved the Mortars in PR. Fantastic work Merlin.

Looking forward to packing my pants when the first rounds hit my location in game.

Being able to man howitzer arty would be pretty nice as well! Might just be wishful thinking on my part though...

I hope the following things

-not too complicated but not bf4

-stationary 80mm mortars

-portable 60mm mortars that need to be operated by at least 2 or more people (amount of people is up to devs for balance reason)

-lots of different types of shells like para flares, HE, smoke, white phosphorus and other types

Add to that thread then. Continue and evolve the discussion as you see fit.

Just try to keep it in one place is all. Makes it all a lot easier.

Would be nice to have a 60mm mortar carrier with an A-gunner carrying some extra rounds for them.  Offer some additional needed support when assaulting a super FOB.  Not to mention having mortars raining in on your position ups the adrenaline ;)

Mortars is too much...there are mortars in my squad..granadier and rpg/lat with organized fire its way enough explosions in the game,but there is tanks,lav's,attack helicopers and even transport heli's for a huge fire support.

No needs to put everything in the game...

Just looked up how mortars works in PR2, and from what i see in this video, its fucking awesome!

I hope they make it something like this in Squad.

Just looked up how mortars works in PR2, and from what i see in this video, its fucking awesome!

I hope they make it something like this in Squad.

PR was/is the shit. 

Just copy paste that and we'll be happy campers (literally).

I've never had more fun than turning Ramiel (in PR) into Dresden.

Being under sustained mortar fire for 4 hours makes this game very, very exciting.

Mortar coordinates will HAVE to be called in by squad leader, other wise spam will ensue. Also for the people being attacked they MUST hear the wHOOSH 5 seconds before the impact, this is tru to life you can hear the round overhead before it hits. It will kill the game otherwise, as fob will be decimated instantly. 

I hope white phosphorus is implemented as an incendiary but im not sure if it is still used like that irl

iirc white phosphorous is against the int laws of war/geneva convention but i could be wrong. regardless the US and it super allies Israel and Suadi Arabia have and do use white phosphorous in combat

US used in Falluja: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4440664.stm

Israeli used in Gaza: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-22310544

Saudi used in Yemen: https://www.rt.com/op-edge/264965-saudi-war-crimes-yemen/

Mortar coordinates will HAVE to be called in by squad leader, other wise spam will ensue. Also for the people being attacked they MUST hear the wHOOSH 5 seconds before the impact, this is tru to life you can hear the round overhead before it hits. It will kill the game otherwise, as fob will be decimated instantly. 

yea thats pretty much how it is PR. only the SL can mark the coordinates on the map and get the distance etc. idk if the whoosh is 5 seconds though, maybe like 3 secs, not sure. and yea a direct hit can take out a FOB in one shell, but the way it works is that the shells fall randomly iirc within a 25 meter radius (50 meter diameter) of the mortars' target location.