ImUrBoss

Night maps

There are potential workarounds that would help alleviate a large majority of the 'gamma hacking' issue.

And in the end the devs cant prevent people from messing with their monitors. For these reasons, I see no reason why the devs should abandon night maps. Through gameplay mechanics and features to graphical workarounds and solutions, I believe the devs would be more than capable of minimizing the amount of gamma messing-about among the player base and offering truly entertaining and engaging night time gameplay.

Night maps as they are now are pretty bright regardless of gamma setting adjustments.

Exhibit A:

<video>

I found the lighting in that video to be very bright.

But anyways, only solution (that I can think of) to remove the gamma adjustment "hack" would be to make everything that's dark pitch black. But that would probably make it way too hard to see any movement or details. But then again, I could live with others gamma adjusting. I'd rather have the darker nights.

EDIT: Something else I noticed in that video. Does the smoke and clouds really give off that much light at night? It's like they give off the same amount of light in the day and night. I remember Skyrim (Older Unreal Engine) having the same problem, it had something to do with particles not being flagged correctly or something.

I heard a dev talking in game about a surprise for people who turn up the gamma :)

A fast way to solve this temporarily and its not really solving it.. whould be to lock the gamma on nightmaps to a maximum level of 2.30 or something

You might be able to lock the game's gamma setting that way. But that doesn't stop anyone from using a 3rd party software or their monitor's settings.

Gamma Settings locking is not an option. In case the devs can do it (which i doubt) you can simply raise your monitor gamma.

I have a good IPS Panel Monitor with a Profile Switch, one default profile is nights mode. Makes every Game bright in nights ,except , and this is the solution:

Some Arma3 Mods, theres simply nothing to raise your gamma, not ingame, not monitor wise, not GFX wise, just dark night.

Imagin such a night in Squad with Flares and Flashlight attachements, Tracers, Beatiful!

Its done via a PostProcessing Filter. I dont know UE4, but perhaps the devs can do it.

I think the only way to balance night maps currently is to make it so that if gamma settings are cranked, a light source will essentially become blinding and a detriment to your vision. Then it'll be up to the mapper as to where to place these.

The lights would leave stripes of light across your vision if gamma was too high. Might work if it's doable.

I haven't played in a month or more, but what I remember is that cranking the gamma is an all around win on night maps with the only downside being textures are washed out.

I'm all for an even playing field and having nights dark but life gets in the way sometimes: sun shining, someone using a light at night in your PC room, visual impairment, etc...

If a server goes to a night map I invariably disconnect and go elsewhere as I know that few people play without adjusting their gamma settings and it kind of defeats the point of the map for me.

i hope the issue is fixed, because IMO i like night maps a lot. dont get me wrong i love daytime i prefer it, but night maps make me feel like there is more "intense" gameplay and stuff.  but NVG should be there for all factions.

Just say no to night maps. 

why is that? Night maps are very fun. In Insurgency, they are fun, but not many play them cus they suck at it.

Night maps are an integral part of large scale multiplayer teamwork military choot'em up jake genre.  Plus, it makes for good change of pace.  People who don't enjoy night maps might play the game, but only camp.  Most campers in FPS's either attempting to use tactique or they are skeered.  The whole point of a good Team based multiplayer choot'em jake game is to move around and dominate, not squat and wait.  If someone were to make a game where you wait for enemies to show on screen, then you make for pulling trigger.  Thats a game for your cellular telephone. 

something new to this topic ´?

i think nearly everyone is actually setting his gamme settings higher on nightmaps

I personally like the Dev's approach to content. It's so much better to promise nothing but deliver content at the same time. So often do we get "promises" and time lines and only get let down. Take ubisoft's The Division, how many times has it been delayed now? 3-4 times?

And as for the topic of the thread, I think NVG's are a nice feature but if the U.S or Russians have NVG's doesn't that put the ofter factions at a disadvantage? There are night version of the map already out but neither side have NVG's thus making it balanced, so either everyone gets NVG's or none at all. 

I personally like the Dev's approach to content. It's so much better to promise nothing but deliver content at the same time. So often do we get "promises" and time lines and only get let down.

+100 karma

Just say no to night maps. 

I love Logar at night its a great map and have been hoping for more, including fools road versions..

Just do what Gary did for Rust. Remove gamma option in-game and set up a personalized gamma lock code to stop outside gamma options working with the game(Nvidia control panel, display options etc)
Literally makes gamma users take a marathon to get their cats eyes :D

Overall, I prefer immersion over epeen competitiveness, so my gamma stays low.

yeah, but it sucks hard if a sniper kills you from a far distance meanwhile you cant see your own hand because he gives a flying fxxx about immersion :D

yeah, but it sucks hard if a sniper kills you from a far distance meanwhile you cant see your own hand because he gives a flying fxxx about immersion :D

*shrugs* in the end, even if they did a gamma lock code and all of that fancy stuff, its just a matter of the game.

there's only so much the devs can do.

Night time will be available to every map once the new day/night weather system is fully implemented, in fact you will experience dawn, dusk, morning etc. Imagine Fallout 4 on steroids without radiation blowouts. =)

If the gamma will be removed or lock it to a default value probably it will be the worse than adding killstreaks . I cant play this game without gamma 3 

If DEVs can somehow find the best gamma for the game

and then remove gamma slider out...that would be the best.

something new to this topic ´?

i think nearly everyone is actually setting his gamme settings higher on nightmaps

More than likely desen. However if the Gamma slider was removed from the options, then odds are most people would just suck it up and play as is (or leave the server for another one). While I fully admit to changing my gamma on night maps, I'll also admit that I'm too lazy to spend much effort to do so (and I realise it's not that hard). But I'm not going to screw with my monitor or GPU settings, and a lot of people won't know how to do so or even if they did, likely would not have thought of doing so.

I like playing the way night maps are meant to be played without any sort of gamma adjusting. I like the challenge of not being able to see your enemies clearly and having to pay closer attention for movement. I say BRING IT ON!

I would like NVG for all, but if they add, US, Russian, and the advanced countries coming get higher quality, while Militia, Insurgents, and upcoming get cheaper, not AS great NVG not trash, but legit ones