Sign in to follow this  
Nightingale

Will There be International Censoring Problems?

As a reflection of our personal values and our desire to market Squad to a world wide audience we will not be naming these insurgent factions.

Being a measured and well thought out decision it will be extremely unlikely that we will change our minds.

We actually have a fairly extensive network of friends and advisers from around the world and many walks of life which we often consult with.

i can assure you the advice was nearly unanimous across the board.

:P

I think this is your greatest fault dear developers.

We all loved PR for it's freedom in this domein, using an "insurgent" faction all the time will bring bore to the game quickly.

Let us make a poll and show you how much we want different factions.

Litterally nothing has changed besides the name.

And the ability for us to add a a G3 or an FN FAL to the taliban without having all of the wikipedia heroes on our backs.

Not saying we will do this, but we have the option to do so.

What does that mean for you as a player?

1. You will have to live with the name and instead replace it with what you feel is appropriate in your head.

2. We can make a more balanced and fun gameplay experience for you.

3. We make sure we dont get in trouble anywhere

And the ability for us to add a a G3 or an FN FAL to the taliban without having all of the wikipedia heroes on our backs.

1. You will have to live with the name and instead replace it with what you feel is appropriate in your head.

Great decision, was going to bring it up earlier but I'm glad you decided this internally already. Taliban, Al Qaeda, ISIS will create too many problems that aren't needed. 

I know the decision has already been made, but I personally feel that games should never sacrifice creative freedom (though not exactly in this case) to avoid controversy or to sell better. If Fox News, (who few rational people pay attention to) or CNN (who sensationalize almost every story they report on) decide to bash on Squad and generate controversy, it would only really serve to spread word of the game around. 

For example, the developers of Hatred, an ultra-violent game that is straight up about perpetrating a mass shooting for no other reason than to kill pixelated people in gruesome pixelated ways, have embraced their controversy and got free marketing from it; they are going to sell so much more copies because the Streisand effect. 

Now, obviously in the case of Squad, the renaming of all insurgent factions to "Insurgents" does not take from gameplay or limit creative freedom, but I personally would rather have Taliban, Hamas, Chechen rebels/Militia, and other factions of the like.

On another note, will bomb cars exist in Squad? I would be disappointed to see an extremely effective insurgent weapon not featured for purposes of avoiding controversy. 

I'm not sure any video game has specifically given players an explicitly Taliban faction to play as.

Medal of Honor(2010) did have the Taliban as a playable faction in multiplayer, so I'd say there isn't a major problem here.

Medal of Honor(2010) did have the Taliban as a playable faction in multiplayer, so I'd say there isn't a major problem here.

Well,

, then again it is Fox News. It was banned on ISAF bases , which is not particularly surprising. And EA changed Taliban to OPFor  in the end. However, I don't think they sold too badly or too well, but that's probably because it was  not a particularly great game. 

EDIT: Fixed links. 

Does that mean we can expect that all insurgents have scopes now along with reddot-sights and such? Or do you mean that you can allow them to have more weapons. I don't mind balancing and seeing a bit more scopes for the insurgents like in PR nowadays. However the insurgents must be insurgents and stay an underdog team that has to use different asymetrical tactics in order to compensate their lack of scopes etc. 

So what do you guys mean by balanced gameplay in terms of the insurgent's equipment and such?

Well you could just rename "taliban" into "daliban", and "hamas" into "khamas".

Yeah, now that I think about it, as a commercial product you're gonna have to license all real life weapon and vehicle names! It seems you'll be forced to change weapon and vehicle names too! Maybe lawers will force you to change some 3d model details of certain guns and vehicles so they won't be 100% copy of real life so that it won't infringe licensing laws. 

Crazy... Will it still be like PR?

Well you could just rename "taliban" into "daliban", and "hamas" into "khamas".

Yeah, now that I think about it, as a commercial product you're gonna have to license all real life weapon and vehicle names! It seems you'll be forced to change weapon and vehicle names too! Maybe lawers will force you to change some 3d model details of certain guns and vehicles so they won't be 100% copy of real life so that it won't infringe licensing laws.

Crazy... Will it still be like PR?

I laughed my ass out on the first sentence of your post. Now all I think about is "maiday maiday, we are sinking" "zis iz de daliban outpost, wat ar iu sinking about?"

o

I always considered MEC to be Iran anyway.

"Iran number one! America, hack-ptooey!"

What I want to know about Squad and censorship is if I can say/type "Fuck" without getting censored.

You're probably fine with language just so long as you're not going completely over the top to be a douchewad. I think there are servers that encourage no swearing but I've never seen it enforced.

I think the main thing is not having the problem of ARMA3 when a bunch of ISIS supporters used the game as training software. Generic all the way!

I think the main thing is not having the problem of ARMA3 when a bunch of ISIS supporters used the game as training software. Generic all the way!

Not sure if serious...

Please tell me you don't actually believe all those stories.

The fact that all it is was a mod was released allowing you to play as/against IS units. There is not a single shred of evidence saying IS were/are using it as a recruitment tool or for training. That is just lol-worthy.

wait, is that a real mod? i have to admit, it looks cool (for entertainment purposes only)

The one that the papers picked up on caused the mod creator to shit-can it due to various reasons. Another modder picked up the ball - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188540-A-new-ISIS-mod-picking-up-the-ball

Nothing wrong with playing with it of course. What is wrong is the sheer idiocy of these so called newspapers being able to get away with publishing such drivel.

We've all seen WW2 games since a little game called Wolfenstein to present day and no one ever thought those developers were all nazi supporters.

Actually they did. Wolfenstein 3D had really whirl that ID loved nazis etc.

And DOOM that proke the hell out in press, its only intentions were to make kids a massmurderers.. Oh damn it were scary and intense, the memories...

I think it were on this video (0:42:00) 5 mins or so Romero talks about those things I have no sounds so It is quessing based on the level they are in.

I'm pretty sure Taliban and Hamas hasn't copyrighted their names.

1 isn't a name, it's a word used as a name.

Taliban - Plural of 'Student' (Arabic)

The other is acronym which I've only once heard used as a word.

Generic names are the way to go. Fully support the Devs on this. As long as the "Insquirtgents/Talibannanas" use authentic weapons to the time/location I don't give two ****s about the name. Besides, I always thought it was traditional in PR to actually play the game? Rather then sit on the loading screen / kit selection getting all hot and bothered about the faction names.

Also, Australia has an R18+ rating now so most games can be sold here without any issues.

I don't think anyone cared much about the militia faction in bf2pr pretty much being Chechen rebels.

The taliban are generally described as insurgents by Isaf anyway.