SandSukka

PhysX in Squad

So after reading this article about the benefits of running a dedicated PhysX card to handle physics computations, I'm wondering if we would benefit from this in Squad.  Games like Batman Arkham Asylum and other action games have a lot of PhysX content but I'm not sure how much Squad has. The less physics computations needed, the less you'd benefit from having a dedicated PhysX card. 

What do you guys think?

Article here http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make

dedicated physx is pretty niche imo, its cool but doesn't seem worth it for me personally.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't go out and buy a GPU for Physx, but say I were to upgrade my GTX770. I could keep it as the PhysX card and then use the new card as the renderer

based on the results id probably rather sell the card to pay for an even more powerful card.
but this is just me, some people might think its worth it :P

We make full use of the GPU simulation stuff built into UE4.  You don't need to do anything to make it work on any card. 

Some of our particle effects, for example, have GPU components.  

As roy mentioned we do make use of a lot of gpu based physx. Id be interested how a dedicated phyx card works out. Sounds very cool.

As roy mentioned we do make use of a lot of gpu based physx. Id be interested how a dedicated phyx card works out. Sounds very cool.

But what about people not using Nvidia GPU? Will they loose out on effects? 

Edit

In my playing and watching videos etc I dont see anything am missing out on.

Physx is heavily overrated though, i can remember that in almost every Batman game it caused issues on the pc versions.

But what about people not using Nvidia GPU? Will they loose out on effects? 

Edit

In my playing and watching videos etc I dont see anything am missing out on.

No.  Epic implemented their own system for GPU driven particles and compute things.  It works exactly the same as PhysX, but it's not brand specific.  

No.  Epic implemented their own system for GPU driven particles and compute things.  It works exactly the same as PhysX, but it's not brand specific.

Thanks that makes sense.

This UE4 physics system you are talking about... Can it be set up to utilize the CUDA cores on nVidia GPUs? I guess that would give a modest performance increase to those using nVidia GPUs.

Just a note, if your physx card isn't up to spec (similar card) it can actually bottleneck your system, I did this in the past using an older card, but I found it ran faster just using a singular card for all rather than spreading the pain, this also goes for built in GPU with CPU's not just separate cards.

I've honestly seen no increase for dedicating 1 card to PhysX - from what I've tested and noticed you're better off using 2 in SLI.

Planetside 2 had Physx enabled for a while. It was nothing but a bunch of gimmicky stuff. As someone said above having a dedicated card is pretty niche and there is zero chance I'll buy one while my current system is working. Perhaps games will get to the point in the future where a dedicated card will help but right now it seems like it is just a system to add a bunch of random particle stuff. 

OWI: Maybe it will make more sense for your Laser Pew-Pew game you guys want to make next. :)

Just a note, if your physx card isn't up to spec (similar card) it can actually bottleneck your system, I did this in the past using an older card, but I found it ran faster just using a singular card for all rather than spreading the pain, this also goes for built in GPU with CPU's not just separate cards.

Yeah the article did mention that. I'm currently running a GTX 770 and I have 2 old 8800GTS cards. They likely be too old and cause a bottleneck.

Anyways. I'm curious if someone with an older card (but not too old) has tried this. Heck, maybe I'll slap that 8800GTS museum piece in and see what happens.

I've honestly seen no increase for dedicating 1 card to PhysX - from what I've tested and noticed you're better off using 2 in SLI.

But have you tried running a single card versus 2 cards (one rendering, one dedicated to physx)? I think that would be a more realistic test.

Yeah mate - I've tried it all. Honestly I noticed no difference at all between 1 single card and 1 card dedicated to PhysX.

Yeah mate - I've tried it all. Honestly I noticed no difference at all between 1 single card and 1 card dedicated to PhysX.

What were you using for both cards?

Im more GPU bottlenecked then CPU it seems. Going on % from MSI Afterburner.

If I switch (in Nividia settings) PhysX from automatic (GPU) to CPU, will I gain anything?

NZXT H440W New Edition Silent Ultra

Corsair RM1000, 1000W PSU

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake

Corsair H75 Hydro Series CPU Kylare

HyperX Predator 2666MHz 32GB (4x8GB)

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Socket-1151

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+

Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB

Seagate® Desktop SSHD 2TB

MS COA Win 10 Home Nordic

Acer 34" Predator Curved LED G-Sync X34

3440x1440 IPS, 100hz, 4ms, 100m:1, DP

ASUS Strix 7.1 Gaming Headset

CM Storm QuickFire TK Keyboard Red

Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Im more GPU bottlenecked then CPU it seems. Going on % from MSI Afterburner.

If I switch (in Nividia settings) PhysX from automatic (GPU) to CPU, will I gain anything?

NZXT H440W New Edition Silent Ultra

Corsair RM1000, 1000W PSU

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake

Corsair H75 Hydro Series CPU Kylare

HyperX Predator 2666MHz 32GB (4x8GB)

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Socket-1151

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+

Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB

Seagate® Desktop SSHD 2TB

MS COA Win 10 Home Nordic

Acer 34" Predator Curved LED G-Sync X34

3440x1440 IPS, 100hz, 4ms, 100m:1, DP

ASUS Strix 7.1 Gaming Headset

CM Storm QuickFire TK Keyboard Red

Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Good question. I'd hope that in auto mode, the card can make the right choice based upon the GPU and CPU loading. Sounds like a good experiment