TIGRE

Aiming Downs Sights correct view

Hello everyone, forgive me for my bad english, and let's get to the point:

ADS (aiming down sights) is not shown correctly in every single fps game. Why? Because when ADS, in combat situations, a real soldier is supposed to keep both eyes opened and in this case the immage of the entire red dot sight, including the casing, should be semi-transparent, allowing him to clearly see the profile of his target with a nice and bright red dot on its center.

How to achieve this goal? By using a 3d visor that renders 2 different immages, one to the right eye and one to the left one, which is forcing the players to play only on a 3d visor...

...OR by turning the red dot/scope/iron sights profile to a semi transparent model when ADS, which allows every player to play on a single monitor, still having the benefit of a realistic feel when aiming.

What happens in every fps game?: when ADS the profile of iron sights or the red dot/ scope casing obstructs the visual, making very difficult and definitely not immediate to clearly see through, which is a non sense, especially for what concerns red dots.

The concept itself of a red dot is to make the aiming process a lot easyer by removing completely any obstruction around the center red dot, which must have his brightness adjusted to appear shiny and easy to recognize accordingly with the brightness of the environment. Also, a in game option could let the player setting his favorite brightness for day and night maps, or even to switch it by stages in case you (the developers) are considering to put in game meteo variable conditions, and day/night cycle.

It would be great if SQUAD could be the first game ever to have this feature and I think it would also be a great step towards a realistic feel of ADS.

Who am I to suggest such a big change? I play airsoft (10 years now...) and when aiming down sights with my bb weapon, I keep both eyes opened. Every person I know in airsoft do this, also those who are in the army and that makes me think I m not telling bullshits. I m right-handed, so I use my right eye to allign the red dot on the target profile and the immage I receive to the right eye is partially obstructed by the gun and the casing of the red dot but here comes the magic...my left eye is opened and it receives a clear immage of the environment displaying in front of me, so my perception is this: I can see the red dot perfectly alligned on my target but I can also see the target perfectly through the rifle. Magic of stereoscopic view.

Implement this feature and I ll be the most happy player of squad.

A picture is worth a thousand words (I did 2!!). Here an example showing the meaning of all this:

ADS current standard:

http://s20.postimg.org/5olfiv2p9/ADS_standard.jpg

ADS imrpoved new standard:

http://s16.postimg.org/6m953ho8l/ADS_improved.jpg

ps. I m a veteran fps lover, I ll be glad to participate to build this awsome game.

Yes - you should have both eyes open, people run into problems with shooting if they are right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa.  Harder for them to keep both eyes open and focus.. comes over time.

Anyways your idea is interesting to me.

While you are generally correct about keeping two eyes open, you are dead wrong about what brighness to keep the red dot at. It should be kept at a brightness so that you can barely see it. You don't want the light backwash obscuring your target. Your eyes are supposed to focus on your target, and you fire when you see your out-of-focus dot align properly. My experience is 3 1/2 years as an infantryman in the us army, and a 9 month deployment to Afghanistan.

While you are generally correct about keeping two eyes open, you are dead wrong about what brighness to keep the red dot at. It should be kept at a brightness so that you can barely see it. You don't want the light backwash obscuring your target. Your eyes are supposed to focus on your target, and you fire when you see your out-of-focus dot align properly. My experience is 3 1/2 years as an infantryman in the us army, and a 9 month deployment to Afghanistan.

The concept itself of a red dot is to make the aiming process a lot easyer by removing completely any obstruction around the center red dot, which must have his brightness adjusted to appear shiny and easy to recognize accordingly with the brightness of the environment. Also, a in game option could let the player setting his favorite brightness for day and night maps, or even to switch it by stages in case you (the developers) are considering to put in game meteo variable conditions, and day/night cycle.

That's exactly what I had in mind, but I found some difficult to explain myself, I apologize. I was suggesting to be able to adjust the brightness to be shiny enough to be seen in every light condition. Of course you don't want to set his brightness to be dazzling or in the way it covers your target. By the way I am pretty sure that when engaging close quarters, real operators turn the light 1 or 2 step above the "barely see" level because they need to fast acquire both the dot and the target, which in CQB is big enough to be clealry visible through a medium light small dot. What you say make 100% sense to me when shoting on far targets, but the main focus of my suggestion is on the possibility to have a semi-transparent casing/gun model when ADS. If there's the possibility to set the brightness of the dot would be even better. Thank you for helping me to explain this concept better.

off topic: when I play I run a T1 bushnell replica on a maxium of 5/11 light level daylight and 1/11 light level when it comes darker. In both situations I feel confortable. If I put 1/11 daylight I can barely see the dot, but in this case, if the situation comes to the point I must raise the weapon immediatly and shoot, I m not sure I m using the dot to my advantage because I find difficult to see it.

Those immages can resume the feeling of a confortable dot lightness and size in that light situation (to me could be even smaller). Btw notice how the casing obstructs the visual and gives that nasty sense of narrowness to the experience of ads.

http://i.imgur.com/dQPrguK.jpg

I'd hate to be "that guy", but look down the suggestions thread, about 5 posts under this 1 is the exact same suggestion.

I'd hate to be "that guy", but look down the suggestions thread, about 5 posts under this 1 is the exact same suggestion.

Hello. Before posting it, I searched every content related to ADS in this suggestion forum and I couldn't find this topic (I can't read all 43 pages of topics so I used the search button). Maybe I couldn't find it because of fancy titles. Can you please link those threads? Thank you.

update: I found ppl talking about it under:  http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/1623-scopesiron-sights-thread/

The fact that's a genereic topic starting with a discussion of "in scope" zoom deflected me to consider its relevance.

Hello. Before posting it, I searched every content related to ADS in this suggestion forum and I couldn't find this topic (I can't read all 43 pages of topics so I used the search button). Maybe I couldn't find it because of fancy titles. Can you please link those threads? Thank you.

update: I found ppl talking about it under:  http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/1623-scopesiron-sights-thread/

The fact that's a genereic topic starting with a discussion of "in scope" zoom deflected me to consider its relevance.

Dont worry about it mate, at least you put in a respectable amount of effort into your OP.

And -- I agree with you. I'd like to see some sort of effect like the one you described in your image mock ups. I think it could help a lot. Even if they just implement it as a test to see how people react to it, I'd really like to try it out for myself.

Considering it, yes. Especially for iron sight weapons.

But at this point we consider this a polishing feature, so it won't be a thing we do in Alpha and probably not Beta either.