Socrates

Airstrike

Will this game ever have airstrike features? (SL pulls out radio and a big jet flies over and drops bombs/ fires upon the designated area.)

What are your thoughts on this?

???

theres fixed and rotary wing aircraft in PR which do airstrikes and strafing runs where players are actually piloting those air assets; and in PR there was a 2000lb JDAM aistrike which the commander calls in but JDAM is AI. i imagine that Squad will--eventually--have both like in PR.

which kind of airstrike are you talking about--player controlled or AI controlled?

do you mean calling in airstrike like BF2 with artillery or more like you ask for assistance and the CAS squad comes in and drops bombs?

I"d actually like to see this, assuming squad has built-in Area Attacks similar to BF2. Even if jets are to be implemented, adding one very high in the sky or adding visual artillery flying though the air from a far off artillery position would be immersive.

I think air support is going to be manned by players. Oh I can see it now.

CAS this is Squad lead 1 can you please drop ordinance on enemy FOB marked on map?

Cyka Blyat!

*Friendly Fire Commences*

Air strikes done with all players some laser designators and coordination would be perfect!

When aircraft come, I would love to see customisation on the payloads, say at a base, hanger area etc

Ohh how fun...

Airstrikes/support = agree !

With limitations like flight range, obligation to go back to base and being able to ask for airstrike like every 20 minutes would be great, as well as letting players driving jets to objectives instead of AI.

Adding "out of the map artillery" (dont know the word in english but those who played to Advanced Squad Leader and other wargames, or PC ones like Steel Panthers will understand me) or I could say "BF2-like artillery" too would be a very good idea !

Waiting for mortars too :P

and... [will stop here, so many ideas coming ^^]

the only thing that should be able to be called in, is an area attack. other than that, player manned jets dropping ordinance, and CAS choppers also manned by players should be the way to go!

It should be based of what is controlled by your team.  EXAMPLE (Team captures point A.  point A is a runway.  Team now has access to x,y,z resources.  x resource is intelligence, y resource is aerial strike, z is paratrooper spawn)

I much prefer calling in player controlled assets to perform these types of bombing / strafe runs. Much like in PR.

Plenty of fantastic vehicles well out on the horizon and it will all be possible. Going to be glorious.

airvehicletypes.jpg

I think air support is going to be manned by players. Oh I can see it now.

CAS this is Squad lead 1 can you please drop ordinance on enemy FOB marked on map?

Cyka Blyat!

*Friendly Fire Commences*

like irl?

Air strikes done with all players some laser designators and coordination would be perfect!

When aircraft come, I would love to see customisation on the payloads, say at a base, hanger area etc

Ohh how fun...

yea, u can laze target in PR, im sure it will eventually be in Squad. i really like the custom payload idea too, very nice. maybe pick from bunker busters to white phosphorus to dasiy chain cluster munitions. goddamn war is hell!

I have faith in the dev's not being so stupid that they would implement something like artillery and airstrikes that just comes out of nowhere like in BF2 and COD.

Its already mentioned that we get attack helicopters and such that are player controlled. Use the brilliant on game VOIP to call them in.

Last thing i would want in this game are non player controlled jets and artillery. Be the jet or be the arty guy....much better !

Btw OP what is up with all this "\--<>-- Airstrike --<>--/". Please just type normally without all the extra attention signs, we can see your post and its not more important than other treads :)

I"d actually like to see this, assuming squad has built-in Area Attacks similar to BF2. Even if jets are to be implemented, adding one very high in the sky or adding visual artillery flying though the air from a far off artillery position would be immersive.

That'd be cool. Have a low poly AC-130 flying high up that fires at whatever the commander designates as a target.

My opinion: Full focus on the team-based infantry mode. This is the core strength of Squad from my perspective . Since there are so many possibilities for extensions - that's enough for the next year :)

Otherwise, the balance should be considered in the topic

no!!

It must be more difficult than that. Possibly Sq leader has laser designator or there is a forward air controller who needs to lase for the CAS manned by a real player, otherwise there will be bombs everywhere wiping out fob and players constantly. I truly truly love Bfbc2 but don't want it being an utter cluster f* Or if it has be automated btu still guided by sqd leader, its only available every 25 mins in game otherwise players will get fed up of 5 squads calling in airstrikes.  

Best idea would be only 1 commander on the field and ONLY he can call in an airstrike every 20 mins?

Best idea would be only 1 commander on the field and ONLY he can call in an airstrike every 20 mins?

That's kind of how it is is PR right now so I'm assuming (if implemented) it would operate in a similar fashion.

no!!

It must be more difficult than that. Possibly Sq leader has laser designator or there is a forward air controller who needs to lase for the CAS manned by a real player, otherwise there will be bombs everywhere wiping out fob and players constantly. I truly truly love Bfbc2 but don't want it being an utter cluster f* Or if it has be automated btu still guided by sqd leader, its only available every 25 mins in game otherwise players will get fed up of 5 squads calling in airstrikes.  

What I still said and I 200% agree with commander + 20-25min airstrikes available. Best way to implement them w/o being abusively used.