Tackshooter

Struggling with target acquisition.

105 posts in this topic
On 11/3/2015 at 6:07 PM, SandSukka said:

If the issue is with tracking a moving target, you probably are running to high of a mouse sensitivity. I think it's safe to say that, on average, most Squad players are using low sensitivity (12" or more to do a 360 turn in game)

An issue I have is finding the right sensitivity for this.

Too high and the mouse is too jumpy, but any lower and I cant move my mouse down enough before I rum out of mouse-mat while countering recoil.

This is one of the first games where I wonder if I can adjust mouse sensitivity differently for vertical than horizontal for that reason.

Too high and the mouse is too jumpy, but any lower and I cant move my mouse down enough before I rum out of mouse-mat while countering recoil.

This is one of the first games where I wonder if I can adjust mouse sensitivity differently for vertical than horizontal for that reason.

I imagine you can set them independently through the config files. Some mouse software also lets you set two axis sensitivity.

On 4/7/2016 at 2:06 PM, DanMo said:

I'm using a gaming Logitech mouse, which has software that allows me to change the DPI depending on the situation. Also for those complaining about blurriness, sweetfx really sharpens things up.

On 4/7/2016 at 11:57 PM, SandSukka said:

I imagine you can set them independently through the config files. Some mouse software also lets you set two axis sensitivity.

Probably here in defaultinput.ini

+AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="MouseX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=0.070000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
+AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="MouseY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=0.070000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))

I've just not tested it yet. I got too frustrated with the performance of the game and am waiting for a next patch while re-playing GTA5.

On 4/7/2016 at 9:06 PM, DanMo said:

It is an issue for everyone even if they never thought of it.

That's fine.

You don't need it. Nobody does need different sens for vertical and horizontal.

If you have small mouse pad I'd suggest to play at the sensitivity a little higher than your mouse pad's width. Let me explain. Let's say you've got a mouse pad with width of 25 cm, so you won't be mistaken if you set your sensitivity so that you need 24.5 cm to turn around 360°. If you have a mouse pad(100x60 cm or whatever) of this kind:

desktop-04.jpg

I'd suggest to set sensitivity to ~25% of your height. Let's say your height is 180 cm, so it will be Ok for you to have mouse sensitivity of 45 cm per 360°.

I asked a lot of people who play FPS games for decades(and they have something to do with eSports, so perfect sens is relevant to them) now and most of them are very close to a sensitivity of 25% of their height.

I found out my perfect sens by myself, because "it felt perfectly" but then I asked few people what's their height and what's their sens and a lot of them said numbers like 190/48, 180/44, 167/42 etc and it was interesting to notice that my sens is as well ~25% of my height.

Edited by KulaGGin

On 31.10.2015 at 5:11 PM, RaTzo said:

Don't be predictable. Flank, flank, flank, and then flank again. 

That means that direct route can be also a flanking, if norm is a flank.. easy right?

On 6/21/2016 at 4:13 PM, KulaGGin said:

It is an issue for everyone even if they never thought of it.

That's fine.

You don't need it. Nobody does need different sens for vertical and horizontal.

If you have small mouse pad I'd suggest to play at the sensitivity a little higher than your mouse pad's width. Let me explain. Let's say you've got a mouse pad with width of 25 cm, so you won't be mistaken if you set your sensitivity so that you need 24.5 cm to turn around 360°. If you have a mouse pad(100x60 cm or whatever) of this kind:

desktop-04.jpg

I'd suggest to set sensitivity to ~25% of your height. Let's say your height is 180 cm, so it will be Ok for you to have mouse sensitivity of 45 cm per 360°.

I asked a lot of people who play FPS games for decades(and they have something to do with eSports, so perfect sens is relevant to them) now and most of them are very close to a sensitivity of 25% of their height.

I found out my perfect sens by myself, because "it felt perfectly" but then I asked few people what's their height and what's their sens and a lot of them said numbers like 190/48, 180/44, 167/42 etc and it was interesting to notice that my sens is as well ~25% of my height.

Thank you for trying to help with that, and it's good info for new FPS players, but you've missed what my issue is. And it's not fine.

I've been playing FPS games for decades and I've not ever run into the issue I've had with squad, where there is an off balance between vertical sensitivity (up and down and countering recoil) vs horizontal sensitivity (turning 360).

Granted, last time I played I think there was still an issue between frames per second and resulting sensitivity. So possibly when I got into firefights, the sensitivity would lower with the lower amount of frames per second, resulting in me running out of mouse-mat.

Edited by DanMo

11 minutes ago, DanMo said:

I've been playing FPS games for decades and I've not ever run into the issue I've had with squad, where there is an off balance between vertical sensitivity (up and down and countering recoil) vs horizontal sensitivity (turning 360).

Have you actually tested it? Or you just think that's the case because you 'feel' it?

I did test it in the past in Squad by measuring with the 50 cm ruler how much I need to move my mouse to change my view from looking directly down to looking directly up. And then measuring how much I need to move my mouse to turn by 360° across myself in horizontal axis. And I know for a fact that my vertical and horizontal sensitivity perfectly equal.

11 minutes ago, DanMo said:

Granted, last time I played I think there was still an issue between frames per second and resulting sensitivity.

I did test sensitivity at different frame rates too and I suggest you to read this thread, it might help you to fix your problem:

You can also find a solution there to set different sensitivities for vertical and horizontal axes.

Edited by KulaGGin

16 minutes ago, KulaGGin said:

Have you actually tested it? Or you just think that's the case because you 'feel' it?

I did test it in the past in Squad by measuring with the 50 cm ruler how much I need to move my mouse to change my view from looking directly down to looking directly up. And then measuring how much I need to move my mouse to turn by 360° across myself in horizontal axis. And I know for a fact that my vertical and horizontal sensitivity perfectly equal.

I did that too and I suggest you to read this thread, it might help you to fix your problem:

The off balance I mention is a gameplay off balance, and was perhaps caused by the insane recoil and the frames per second issue.

What I mean by gameplay off balance is that this was the first game where I could not find any sweet spot for sensitivity, no matter how long I tried.  I have not experienced this in any of the games I played before., hence my comment on wanting to try different sensitivities for vertical and horizontal, which I never got around to, since the performance for me just was too bad to continue playing anyway.

I'll await the next update and try out some of the info in the thread you linked to where they talk about experiencing "negative accelleration on very slow small moves when I'm trying to track enemies in firefights, for example. Feels like some kind of a data loss or something in both cases" especially on lower frames. I may have suffered from something related to this issue as well in the vertical axis.

Edited by DanMo

I find with higher FPS I'm able to see targets/movement a lot easier, but when my frames dip down to 25-30's..  It becomes really difficult for me.  Can't wait for V8..

dont forget to keep your head on a swivel! Just because you are in the middle of the pack doesn't mean you are safe from being shot in the back, there is always that one guy that gets missed.

On 15.2.2016 at 1:24 PM, Mannex said:

a lot of armchair tacticians in this thread

serious answer:

leave FOV on lowest (90)

turn off all AA.  FXAA, MSAA, Temporal.  turn all of it off, AA just blurs things

resolution up to your monitor's native (1920x1080 for me)

resolution scaling - 100%.  any higher and it blurs/softens things up like AA does which is bad

gamma - 2.50

shadows - off

eye adaptation quality - on

motion blur quality - off (also has the added bonus of not having your red dot look like a messy piece of crap when you move it)

then go into Nvidia control panel> adjust desktop color settings

contrast 60%

digital vibrance 100%

all of that should help a lot

disclaimer:  I don't have any SweetFX shaders on.  the gamma, eye adaptation, contrast, and digital vibrance settings all might have to be tweaked if you're using SweetFX

another thing that helps as much, if not more, is 3D sound.  I use headphones and squad's built-in 3D sound kind of sucks ass.  I had a really hard time telling the difference between stuff in front of me and stuff behind me

then I started using this feature on my sound card called "Dolby Headphone" which simulates 7.1 speakers around my head while wearing headphones, which has helped me a TON when it comes to hearing where gunshots are coming from

On 21.3.2016 at 10:40 AM, Karm said:

Summarizing

Graphics tweaks:

Anti Aliasing OFF; MSAA OFF; Resolution Scaling 100-130% (100% minimum, 120% for some multisampling smoothing, 130% if your system can handle it). (This is to fix any blur that might still be in-game on some maps)

Ambient Occlusion OFF; AO Static fraction OFF; AO Levels NONE (mostly to fix a shadow pixellation issue and increase FPS overall)

Motion Blur OFF; Motion Blur Quality OFF (mostly to fix a blinking trees issue and increase FPS overall. Motion Blur Quality must be OFF as well or this has no effect on some maps.)

Shadows HIGH; Shadow Detail MED (Shadows 'off' for really bad systems. Shadows 'off' is an advantage on some maps, but not on others; and it makes the game look ugly, and is kind of lame. Shadows on is situationally an advantage, as it makes you more aware of your own shadow (and how much you're giving away at corners), and allows you to see enemies' shadows.

Gameplay advice:

Don't move too much (or move more slowly) in a hot zone, especially if you're running straight into where you expect enemies to be. If you're staying still, movement will stand out. If you're moving, you may stand out. Take it slow, take it safe.

Use your ears. Listen to the weapon sounds and learn what M4 sounds like (far, medium and close range, both single and auto fire), what AKM sounds like (medium and close range) and what AK74 sounds like (medium and close range). They each have their own characteristic sound. Learn to listen for AK fire when you're playing as US, and learn to listen for fully automatic M4 fire when playing against US. Be aware that both militia and US can have SAW's.

Flank the enemy. When a firefight starts, whether it be 1-on-1 after some bullets are exchanged or squad-on-squad, it can often pay off to sneak off to the side and flank them. You'll run into one enemy flanker on the way, keep moving and attack the pinned down and distracted enemy squad from the side. They'll be firing giving away their position, or taking cover behind smoke to get their wounded up. Take advantage of the situation.

Aim before shooting and use semi shots (unless when shot from up close). This may sound stupid, but in medium-range firefights, fully-auto suppression is going to lose. What's going to win is hitting the enemy. Stay calm, aim down sights, use shift to zoom in slightly, and make sure you hit the enemy with single shots. Your weapon honestly doesn't even matter. Obviously you'll have an easier time sniping with an ACOG, but at short and medium ranges, you can snipe and hit with any rifle, even with the AK-iest of AK's. Even medics can snipe, swapping back and forth between rifle and binos to check if the enemy is down yet. Well-aimed single shots are a way more scary form of suppression than fully automatic fire, and they are obviously much more deadly when they hit their target. (The only exception to this may be the Automatic Rifleman guns.)

Learn to tell apart friends and enemies (click the link). Some funny examples of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIEg9Uw2oJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwlLZ-74&t=7m55s

I agree with almost everything above, although I havent experimented much with sound. The way to see people is to set your graphics to low in general, 100% color saturation/digital vibrance in nvidia settings, turn up your contrast, true brightness (amount of light) and gamma on your monitor settings, and adjust gamma in the in-game options when you need it.

Also, I recommend having a mouse sensitivity that is low ( for example at 400 dpi, somewhere around 0.25 sensitivity).

Edited by plissken

Try not to rush into things, use that to your advantage. Most of the players like to rush rush rush without checking corners or anything. Always use single fire when past 50m much like Karm has very well stated. It's all pretty much common sense, no science behind it. Just try to development a more ironed out sense of situational awareness. 

On 10/10/2016 at 11:15 AM, plissken said:

I agree with almost everything above, although I havent experimented much with sound. The way to see people is to set your graphics to low in general, 100% color saturation/digital vibrance in nvidia settings, turn up your contrast, true brightness (amount of light) and gamma on your monitor settings, and adjust gamma in the in-game options when you need it.

Also, I recommend having a mouse sensitivity that is low ( for example at 400 dpi, somewhere around 0.25 sensitivity).

+1 for mouse sensitivity, even if its a matter of habits (some play @6000 dpi with low sensi and others @ 400 dpi with high sensi)

I'd say : use settings that suit to your tastes and not modify them so as to spot enemies easier. If you can spot enemies easier but the game looks really crappy where is the fun ? Just get used to it, I've ~120hours only on Squad but I can spot enemies much easier/faster than during the first 20-50 hours.

And as fantomactual said, don't rush everywhere, stay aware each second the game lasts ;)

15 minutes ago, Nightstalker21 said:

+1 for mouse sensitivity, even if its a matter of habits (some play @6000 dpi with low sensi and others @ 400 dpi with high sensi)

I'd say : use settings that suit to your tastes and not modify them so as to spot enemies easier. If you can spot enemies easier but the game looks really crappy where is the fun ? Just get used to it, I've ~120hours only on Squad but I can spot enemies much easier/faster than during the first 20-50 hours.

And as fantomactual said, don't rush everywhere, stay aware each second the game lasts ;)

Yeah, I agree. No reason to turn everything in low actually, you are right, but that would be the "safest bet" if you are gonna play a match or something. Actually I think color saturation and gamma settings are the most important. What you could do is to set all the graphic settings on low, and then turn them up one by one and check each time if you still feel like you see the enemies well.

one would be suprised how far proning get you in this game. 

1. do regular stops and look around. crouch or prone.

2. learn to use firemode switch. cqc auto. medium long distance single shot. keep switching firemodes accordingly.

3. get a good 7.1 headset. shots sounds and the direction they are coming from are quite helpful. learn the guns sounds. 

4. call targets before shooting if the situation allows you to.

5. wait for your shot. hold steady aim (left shift). take your time with your second shot - try to align it even when under fire.

6. stick with your squadies and let them call out targets if you cant spot shit. your eyes will get used to recognizing targets that way too. 

7. spot for movement.

8. notice bullets holes and effects. quite often you can figure out the direction of incoming bullets by noticing where they hit. 

be patient! this game can be unforgiving for new players.

I dunno if others have stated this, but you can jack up the gamma to make things really bright and easy to see.

It's kind of cheaty, but the game lets you do it and it's available to everyone.  I'm running on an old CRT monitor so I have to turn up my gamma.

On 11/20/2016 at 2:53 AM, NikolaiLev said:

I dunno if others have stated this, but you can jack up the gamma to make things really bright and easy to see.

It's kind of cheaty, but the game lets you do it and it's available to everyone.  I'm running on an old CRT monitor so I have to turn up my gamma.

Hahahaha, I've been telling people to do this for so long. The game looks so much better too! Most maps look really washed out and bland unless you jack the gamma, and it makes target acquisition at range so much easier!

On 11/22/2016 at 7:44 AM, NotBrad said:

Hahahaha, I've been telling people to do this for so long. The game looks so much better too! Most maps look really washed out and bland unless you jack the gamma, and it makes target acquisition at range so much easier!

Actually I've found turning up the gamma is what results in a washed out, bland look.  But, I have a hard enough time hitting targets as it is.

And I have no idea why.  I've never had so much trouble shooting in Red Orchestra 1 or 2, ArmA, Insurgency... Just this game.

Hello everyone,

i am new to squad too (free weekend noob). I think everyone has the problem of target acquisition and getting shot in the head from nowhere in the beginning. What helped me were a few observations. I am more of an arma guy and it took some time to understand the game and its purpose. The devs seem to know what they are doing and you probably just have to play the game as its meant to be played. Here are some of my observations:

1. If the enemy sees you first, you are in trouble. Its about knowing where the target is, not killing it (thats easy then).
  2. If you run around like in battlefield you are easy to spot -> see 1 what happens next.
  3. The name of the game is Squad and it is played that way, meaning when you see an enemy, there are usually more (you kill one guy, you get killed by the rest = draw) 
  4. It is often benefical due to 3 to inform your squad and not engage the enemy right away.
  5. Flank spank: The average engagement range in squad is very low compared to for example arma. Combined with fact that you can run quite fast, flanking is a matter of seconds and does not mean to go on a daytrip like in arma. This also means that you might have already been flanked.... see next point.
  6. Sometimes its a good idea to not shot the enemy right away if you see him (not a valid solution in CQC of course :P). Get a good position and be patient.
  7. Never underestimate the effect of suppression in this game.
  8. Last but probably the most important thing: Stick to the squad. The herd provides protection, revenge and revive.
  9. The one i forgot: if you are not defending and shot someone: change position, they will come for you.

And finally: do not care about the stats so much. Its about winning the game with your team.

cheers

Edited by _sidewinder_

Good advice here, be sure to "bound overwatch" when traveling...this means you have some soldiers hanging out in the back of your squad who are ready to flank if you take fire from the front...real life infantry does this (works better with two squads tho)

hunkering down and hoping you won't get hit by a grenade or RPG is not a good idea

Great points, one in particular is that of joining forces with a second or even third squad, yes there are times where a second quad will join in terms of being overun, however I feel this tactic isn't used enough within Squad. Most often, it seems, is that one squad will take over this objective as another will take over that objective, which works respectively (except when one single squad gets overun), however joining forces within the game will stem to overun a single enemy squad much more effectively. Also in terms of flanking, this tactic will most definitely have a better outcome for the overall objective/mission. My thought for the day.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I had such a perfect game last night, but guess that is an exception. The SLs did an amazing job on the macro level. Two squads defend the point (the complete enemy was attacking it) while the third squad takes out their FOB and then walks and walks until it is behind the enemy and sweeps in a loose line formation through them like a hot knife through butter (fools road, storage site)

On ‎31‎.‎10‎.‎2015 at 10:19 PM, Protector said:

I love how all the advice given points towards playing better when actually having his settings on the highest is his main problem... Players with shadows off see enemies a lot easier! You are instantly at a disadvantage playing on ultra.

Yeah. I think you are on spot. Having the graphics on epic is bad business in this game. I figured that in my first two days. Lowering the effects and  other stuff helps a lot. View distance in this game is freakingly low. You can't even see clearly across the Street unless you have a scope. I think thats just stupid. I understand the game trying to be hard and real but lowering the view distance even more than the real World just to make the game harder is not fun and not logical at all. Human eyes can see much far than the in game characters. I think this should be fixed very soon.

By the way i agree with all the other mesages about game tactics but graphic settings has a lot of importance in this game.

On 11/27/2016 at 6:03 AM, SouLKilLeR ACE said:

Yeah. I think you are on spot. Having the graphics on epic is bad business in this game. I figured that in my first two days. Lowering the effects and  other stuff helps a lot. View distance in this game is freakingly low. You can't even see clearly across the Street unless you have a scope. I think thats just stupid. I understand the game trying to be hard and real but lowering the view distance even more than the real World just to make the game harder is not fun and not logical at all. Human eyes can see much far than the in game characters. I think this should be fixed very soon.

By the way i agree with all the other mesages about game tactics but graphic settings has a lot of importance in this game.

Shadows should ether be forced or have some sort of different set of LODS that are put in game for players wit shadows off to compensate.