Tackshooter

Struggling with target acquisition.

a lot of armchair tacticians in this thread

serious answer:

leave FOV on lowest (90)

turn off all AA.  FXAA, MSAA, Temporal.  turn all of it off, AA just blurs things

resolution up to your monitor's native (1920x1080 for me)

resolution scaling - 100%.  any higher and it blurs/softens things up like AA does which is bad

gamma - 2.50

shadows - off

eye adaptation quality - on

motion blur quality - off (also has the added bonus of not having your red dot look like a messy piece of crap when you move it)

then go into Nvidia control panel> adjust desktop color settings

contrast 60%

digital vibrance 100%

all of that should help a lot

disclaimer:  I don't have any SweetFX shaders on.  the gamma, eye adaptation, contrast, and digital vibrance settings all might have to be tweaked if you're using SweetFX

another thing that helps as much, if not more, is 3D sound.  I use headphones and squad's built-in 3D sound kind of sucks ass.  I had a really hard time telling the difference between stuff in front of me and stuff behind me

then I started using this feature on my sound card called "Dolby Headphone" which simulates 7.1 speakers around my head while wearing headphones, which has helped me a TON when it comes to hearing where gunshots are coming from

Do players with their graphics settings purposely set to low (whether they have a high end system or not) gain an advantage over everyone else whose graphics are set at ULTRA?  Does this make it easier for them to spot people if the grass and everything else is turned off or scaled way down?

yes

yes

Not me. I actually started out with low settings because my GPU was lacking behind, but I have a 1440p monitor. I played with shadows off and low draw distance.

I got a new video card just to be able to play this game in better detail. Draw distance high, shadows on. I still do fine in-game. Deliberately setting all settings to low to achieve maximum visibility is pretty close to cheating. And no, not "everybody" does it. Just a few people who feel they need that boost. Whatever floats your boat, I guess..

Not me. I actually started out with low settings because my GPU was lacking behind, but I have a 1440p monitor. I played with shadows off and low draw distance.

I actually got a new video card to be able to play this game in better detail. I still do fine in-game. Deliberately setting all settings to low to achieve maximum visibility is pretty close to cheating. And no, not "everybody" does it. Just a few people who feel they need that boost. Whatever floats your boat, I guess...

he asked a question, I answered it.  people who set their video settings to low have an inherent advantage

he asked a question, I answered it.  people who set their video settings to low have an inherent advantage

Heh, I actually misread his question. I thought he asked "do players actually do this?". My bad.

Yes, they do gain a bit of an advantage (although the draw distance advantage is very limited). Later on in the development process, when optimisations produce better framerates all-round, they might force shadows to be on (at least low quality shadows), and perhaps limit gamma reach (or make it less useful), to stop some of these unfair "tweaks" or at least make it harder to do them. Won't stop all the gamma/contrast tweaks, though.

yes

Not true unless your settings are higher than what they should be. The way this game works there is no extra visibility due to a lack of filters or reduced detail due to AA. Shadows have helped me many times, especially in cqc where knowing an enemy's position is the difference between life and death. It is very subjective but shadows give you a huge advantage vs the Americans on a forest map because they stand out more.

The way this game works there is no extra visibility due to a lack of filters or reduced detail due to AA.

what do you mean by "the way this game works"?  please be as specific as possible lol.

what do you mean by "the way this game works"? please be as specific as possible lol.

Some games lose detail when anti-aliasing the picture, and this is only really noticeable at long rages. But in squad I have found that there are no definite disadvantages in terms of visibility when comparing AA vs non AA. I believe there is an allocation for it within the code that aliases objects based on their distance or separately so as not to blur different objects together. I may be wrong, but I know that is a thing, but regardless of whether or not that is the reason why, there is still no apparent benefit minus the frame boost to not using AA. I use it because there is no penalty, as the engine is currently making my AMD processor the bottleneck, so my dual R9-380s can easily power through the AA with their redundant power. Kind of silly really, I have the beast fx-9590, two R9-380s and can't play this game at more than 46 frames with more than ten players on the server.(it really doesn't matter how many people after ten for some reason)

Edit:

I can't be sure that it's an engine thing or an art thing but for whatever reason this game doesn't reward lower settings somehow, I have tried it and excluding illegal manipulation of texture quality and grass draw distances, there is really no advantage to lowering your settings, but there is the odd time when a glitches low-red model or improperly loaded texture gives you a huge advantage(practically walls) but I have never looked into or seen any reason to look into whether that is settings-related.

which AA mode are you talking about, MSAA? 

because FXAA definitely blurs your whole screen.  temporal is basically a fancier version of FXAA that has a filter on top of it to maintain objects original shape, so it's better than FXAA, but is still applied to your whole screen indescriminately.

MSAA is the best, but costs the most processing power.  It automatically detects the "edges" of 3D shapes (where the jaggies occur) and only selectively blurs those pixels on your monitor.  The problem is on faraway objects that are only rendering on your monitor as a small handful of pixels (say, four in a square) each pixel is technically an "edge" and the whole sharp 4-pixel object gets turned into a blurry 6-pixel smudge

here's a very good visual example of how AA makes incredibly distant enemies harder to see (click to view full size and get close to your monitor so you can see the individual pixels)

1377057316EY5eRnYSqZ_4_8_l.png

pay particular notice to the extremely thin little connecting wires on the far-right satellite dish.  with AA off, you see that it's a series of very easy-to-see two-pixel dashes.  they are very sharp and stand out immediately.  sometimes in squad, distant enemies will be literally two pixels tall like that.  imagine the line of dashes as a squad of distant enemy dudes all coming down the side of a mountain in a single file line.

now look at the lower images with AA on.  the 2-pixel dashes become blurry little turds.  all sharpness is lost.  add ground textures and foliage, and those far off enemy dudes completely disappear.

There are a lot of people replying to this thread posting about tactics, no run and gun, etc. The issue with the game right now has nothing to do with that. The jaggies are insane on some maps, for some reason I don't find it on all of them. From a distance on epic settings, it isn't that they are blending in, it is more like my soldier needs to go to the doctor to get glasses. The models are crisp, until about 75 meters from you, then everything loses the sharpness. I have never had this issue before on any game. I imagine this is due to the early access state the game is in, which is fine, but I expect as the UE4 engine is developed and squad progresses that this issue is cleared up.

Edited by mintypie007

On 2/19/2016 at 4:24 AM, Mannex said:

here's a very good visual example of how AA makes incredibly distant enemies harder to see (click to view full size and get close to your monitor so you can see the individual pixels)

1377057316EY5eRnYSqZ_4_8_l.png

pay particular notice to the extremely thin little connecting wires on the far-right satellite dish.  with AA off, you see that it's a series of very easy-to-see two-pixel dashes.  they are very sharp and stand out immediately.  sometimes in squad, distant enemies will be literally two pixels tall like that.  imagine the line of dashes as a squad of distant enemy dudes all coming down the side of a mountain in a single file line.

now look at the lower images with AA on.  the 2-pixel dashes become blurry little turds.  all sharpness is lost.  add ground textures and foliage, and those far off enemy dudes completely disappear.

yeah this why I disable AA when I played RO2

my game looks like a turd, but I play to shoot people not to watch pretty pictures

Better acquisition IMO comes down to a bit of what settings you are running and mostly just getting used to the game. I couldn't see shiz at first. I started slowing down and taking my time scanning and have gotten much better. I was to used to Call of Duty running and gunning.

On 31 October 2015 at 7:19 PM, Protector said:

I love how all the advice given points towards playing better when actually having his settings on the highest is his main problem... Players with shadows off see enemies a lot easier! You are instantly at a disadvantage playing on ultra.

What are we gonna do about this? Because I was watching a tourney on twitch and the streamer said that everyone puts their settings on low. 

I tried setting it low on all settings but everything is dark and jagged and hurts my eyes. Is that just the way it is or are the devs going to make it more fair if you have Ultra settings? 

The only thing i hate about Squad atm is that the image is not sharp at a distance.

, thats the only reason i play more arma then Squad.

Summarizing

Graphics tweaks:

Anti Aliasing OFF; MSAA OFF; Resolution Scaling 100-130% (100% minimum, 120% for some multisampling smoothing, 130% if your system can handle it). (This is to fix any blur that might still be in-game on some maps)

Ambient Occlusion OFF; AO Static fraction OFF; AO Levels NONE (mostly to fix a shadow pixellation issue and increase FPS overall)

Motion Blur OFF; Motion Blur Quality OFF (mostly to fix a blinking trees issue and increase FPS overall. Motion Blur Quality must be OFF as well or this has no effect on some maps.)

Shadows HIGH; Shadow Detail MED (Shadows 'off' for really bad systems. Shadows 'off' is an advantage on some maps, but not on others; and it makes the game look ugly, and is kind of lame. Shadows on is situationally an advantage, as it makes you more aware of your own shadow (and how much you're giving away at corners), and allows you to see enemies' shadows.

Gameplay advice:

Don't move too much (or move more slowly) in a hot zone, especially if you're running straight into where you expect enemies to be. If you're staying still, movement will stand out. If you're moving, you may stand out. Take it slow, take it safe.

Use your ears. Listen to the weapon sounds and learn what M4 sounds like (far, medium and close range, both single and auto fire), what AKM sounds like (medium and close range) and what AK74 sounds like (medium and close range). They each have their own characteristic sound. Learn to listen for AK fire when you're playing as US, and learn to listen for fully automatic M4 fire when playing against US. Be aware that both militia and US can have SAW's.

Flank the enemy. When a firefight starts, whether it be 1-on-1 after some bullets are exchanged or squad-on-squad, it can often pay off to sneak off to the side and flank them. You'll run into one enemy flanker on the way, keep moving and attack the pinned down and distracted enemy squad from the side. They'll be firing giving away their position, or taking cover behind smoke to get their wounded up. Take advantage of the situation.

Aim before shooting and use semi shots (unless when shot from up close). This may sound stupid, but in medium-range firefights, fully-auto suppression is going to lose. What's going to win is hitting the enemy. Stay calm, aim down sights, use shift to zoom in slightly, and make sure you hit the enemy with single shots. Your weapon honestly doesn't even matter. Obviously you'll have an easier time sniping with an ACOG, but at short and medium ranges, you can snipe and hit with any rifle, even with the AK-iest of AK's. Even medics can snipe, swapping back and forth between rifle and binos to check if the enemy is down yet. Well-aimed single shots are a way more scary form of suppression than fully automatic fire, and they are obviously much more deadly when they hit their target. (The only exception to this may be the Automatic Rifleman guns.)

Learn to tell apart friends and enemies (click the link). Some funny examples of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIEg9Uw2oJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwlLZ-74&t=7m55s

I'm not asking for a Red Orchestra zoom while focusing here, but I don't exactly find having to put your face an inch away from your HD monitor just to sight and attempt to shoot your target very fun either.  The current zoom from focusing in Squad is hardly helpful as is, and I would strongly suggest increasing it more.

Keeping the distance between your eyes and the monitor to maximum of 20cm helps too.

xwQNuFN.png