Tackshooter

Struggling with target acquisition.

105 posts in this topic

I am just having a hard time spotting people, i cant seem to see anyone before they see me. I am not new to FPS, I have all settings on ultra, i get good frames and my ping is less than 100 on the ny servers, i just cant seem to get locked on to someone before they hit me. 

I guess what I am asking is are there settings I need to be tweeking or do I just need a new better monitor lolol. 

It seems like you're being outmanoeuvred, try to be more cunning than the enemy in your approach, stay low move fast lad.

Yeah just stay low, alway find cover. Use and listen to comms to spot enemys. It's a way of playing you'll have to get used to. No run and gun here.

Just play a lot and find good communicating squads to join

Takes time to get used to it , always use cover ( bush , walls , rocks ets )? Stick to your squad and listen for call outs . I had the same thing happen to me when i just started playing , took me a few days of solid playing to get my eyes used to seeing ppl before they see me . Welcome to squad brotha .

I think we all learned the same way and had similar experiences at first.  Stick with it and as you get more familiar with the maps, terrain, foliage etc you will start to pick out things better.  Sometimes I will just crouch and stay very still and then my eyes will see something moving that isnt natural and that is most likely a tango.  I still get shot without having seen who did it and I wonder, just like in real life, where that came from.

One of the most importante things to get to know is:

-Your position on the map

-Your teammates

-Where are the other squads

-Where is your team looking at

After you get this knowledge you will take some "guesses" and see where the enemy is coming from.

It was dangerous to run around in the previous build of Squad. Now you are never safe. 

IF you accept that this danger is part of the experience of the game instead of thinking it is reflective of your personal skill or ability you'll embrace it and you will adapt. It is costly, and extremely easy, to die in Squad. 

In most FPS games we plan our attacks so that we can ambush the enemy, approach quickly and kill him. While we do this we watch our corners and we learn the few places where people normally camp and get cheap kills. In Squad, you need to engage your enemy when he can't engage you. Every spot on the map is a spot where someone might be. There are typical hotspots, but any high ground around an area of interest almost surely has someone there looking down on you. Be aware of every angle that fire can come down on you from and do not ever show yourself to that angle. Move with your squad and rely on smoke to cover exposed crossings. Don't be predictable. Flank, flank, flank, and then flank again. 

There's no way to express all the ways you need to be able to move or hide or attack or defend in this game. You're going to learn these things over the next few years. Just embrace this aspect of the game as part of the game. Know that the guys on the other side of the battle feel exactly the same as you do. If they are dominating it is because they have already embraced it and are using it against you. Do the same. The game applies pressure to those who don't embrace this reality extremely well. :)

Have fun! While you're laying on the ground when you're dead try to make mental notes about how it happened. What direction didn't you check? What decision did you make that exposed you to fire from the enemy before you could fire on him? Then try to do better next time. 

Not sure this helps, but I hope it encourages and inspires! 

EDIT: Peak over hills, from under trees, from around rocks and slowly scan the area. The view distance is massive in Squad. You'll be able to see people who are not looking your way. Just don't run out on top of a hill because someone is probably going to see you and they will engage before you see them. Only move fast when you have to, the rest of the time be slow and as unpredictable as you can. Look over towns with the help of others. Each person scans an area and reports clear or targets. That way you can scan an entire area in a moment instead of sitting there exposed all by your self. 

It was dangerous to run around in the previous build of Squad. Now you are never safe. 

IF you accept that this danger is part of the experience of the game instead of thinking it is reflective of your personal skill or ability you'll embrace it and you will adapt. It is costly, and extremely easy, to die in Squad. 

In most FPS games we plan our attacks so that we can ambush the enemy, approach quickly and kill him. While we do this we watch our corners and we learn the few places where people normally camp and get cheap kills. In Squad, you need to engage your enemy when he can't engage you. Every spot on the map is a spot where someone might be. There are typical hotspots, but any high ground around an area of interest almost surely has someone there looking down on you. Be aware of every angle that fire can come down on you from and do not ever show yourself to that angle. Move with your squad and rely on smoke to cover exposed crossings. Don't be predictable. Flank, flank, flank, and then flank again. 

There's no way to express all the ways you need to be able to move or hide or attack or defend in this game. You're going to learn these things over the next few years. Just embrace this aspect of the game as part of the game. Know that the guys on the other side of the battle feel exactly the same as you do. If they are dominating it is because they have already embraced it and are using it against you. Do the same. The game applies pressure to those who don't embrace this reality extremely well. :)

Have fun! While you're laying on the ground when you're dead try to make mental notes about how it happened. What direction didn't you check? What decision did you make that exposed you to fire from the enemy before you could fire on him? Then try to do better next time. 

EDIT: Peak over hills, from under trees, from around rocks and slowly scan the area. The view distance is massive in Squad. You'll be able to see people who are not looking your way. Just don't run out on top of a hill because someone is probably going to see you and they will engage before you see them. Only move fast when you have to, the rest of the time be slow and as unpredictable as you can. Look over towns with the help of others. Each person scans an area and reports clear or targets. That way you can scan an entire area in a moment instead of sitting there exposed all by your self. 

Great information Sir! 

Also stick with your team and encourage them to call out contacts. If they happen to see where the shot came from or where the guy is, they can give you a bearing. Other than that it's just practice, eventually you'll be able to recognize how things look and move in the game. :) Good luck!

I love how all the advice given points towards playing better when actually having his settings on the highest is his main problem... Players with shadows off see enemies a lot easier! You are instantly at a disadvantage playing on ultra.

I love how all the advice given points towards playing better when actually having his settings on the highest is his main problem... Players with shadows off see enemies a lot easier! You are instantly at a disadvantage playing on ultra.

Pretty sure he doesn't need my advice to try different settings to see what works best for him... :)

Pretty sure he doesn't need my advice to try different settings to see what works best for him... :)

All the advice given was great advice regarding tactics and playing but target acquisition is down to seeing the enemy and when they are shrouded in darkness and you aren't (because of their low settings) all the tactics in the world can't help you.

Communication and patience are what help the most. If you sit back and observe the game for long enough, especially as a squad lead, you will learn game sense and tactics. Half of this game is anticipating enemy movements the other half is keeping your head on a swivel.

Also, be aware of:

1. your position
  2. how well you blend into your background and surroundings
  3. where your friendlies are and if you're not on your own
  4. the direction the enemy is reinforcing from
  5. the amount of enemies you expect to be around
  6. the way you think is most safe to get to the target destination, without being seen by anyone
  7. where you find cover in case you are being engaged

these are the things you have to consider all the time, never stopping.

I think this reply needs a sticky on it's own! This is all you need to know

Indeed lots of good advise being handed out in this thread.

Imma sticky it for any newcomers that may want a few tips from you ol' dawgs

Took me a long time (and under pressure it still does)

to realise that MOVEMENT is like shouting HERE I AM !

Still think that I am being shot by invisible people sometimes but I am getting better

(or so I keep telling myself)

If the issue is just with seeing them, try turning shadows to low.

If the issue is with tracking a moving target, you probably are running to high of a mouse sensitivity. I think it's safe to say that, on average, most Squad players are using low sensitivity (12" or more to do a 360 turn in game)

Yup, lots of good advice in this thread.

Another thing to help new players, listen and learn the sounds of the weapons, AKs/SVD and M4s sound distinctly different. Once you learn how they differ, it will help you pinpoint positions a lot easier and also alert you to nearby contact.

The worst is being surrounded by friendlies, only to have one guy run up on us and start wasting people and not a single person will turn around and shoot the guy with the AK. All I can do is desperately try not to TK friendlies as I deal with the situation while everyone else is picking flowers, their nose, or humping their buddies leg. This is pretty universal in every FPS I've played though, people are just unobservant. Don't be like those guys and you will win much more often.

Quiet right SgtRoss, and when we get free look and TrackIR we will have no excuse ;) hehe (hint hint)

humping their buddies leg. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

#humpophobic lol! 

Tip #1 is staying alive!  The longer you live the more intel you get on the enemy location and capabilities.

• Use hard cover (walls or rocks) over shadowy dark places or bushes.  I've notice people doing this expecting the other player to have the same shadow settings.  -- I hope this is forced or resolved somewhat later on after optimization.
  • Try to attack with the sun to your back in dawn/sunset layouts.
  • Watch out for your shadow when going around a corner.
  • When moving... a wall at your side can be good cover from flanks but a easy target for RPGs to wipe your squad out.
  • Use the buddy system.  Spawn and move a short distance toward your squad but wait for at least one other player to join you before moving up.  You should never be alone.

One tactic I wish more people would use:  Flying wedge and double column formations.  When you move, depending on what side you're on, you always keep the guy in front of you on the edge of your screen.  When you come up to a street, you split to a double column -- streets get sketchy on tactics but as a baseline I think the double column is best for close quarters.

I have the same issue with finding targets a lot of the time.  It's good teamwork that helps you narrow down annoying targets and prevent your demise.

while everyone else is picking flowers, their nose, or humping their buddies leg.

Humping your mates leg should be one of the most important parts in SQUAD!

Please make a DLC with that function! I will buy it for 80$

I have a really hard time acquiring and identifying insurgent targets at night maps but thank god for the white turbaned player models, i can always pick up on those

Do players with their graphics settings purposely set to low (whether they have a high end system or not) gain an advantage over everyone else whose graphics are set at ULTRA?  Does this make it easier for them to spot people if the grass and everything else is turned off or scaled way down?