Bash

Version 2 First Impression

46 posts in this topic

Waiting for zip extraction... will update in about an hour.  Share your first reaction below!

Immediate thoughts

120 FOV is a bit much for me (ty for the slider, I'm at 109 now)

Lighting and shadows on surfaces look clearer but not sharper, IMO more accurate

Insurgency may be more fun when teams figure it out more.  A lot of initial scattering

The map looks like a downgrade, except the smaller squadmembers, that's a huge plus

Sounds are INCREDIBLE

ACOG and SAW are insanely better

more to come

Just watching streams as I'm at work

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Squad

But it looks and sounds great so far. My only complaint is that I liked the style of the old map icons for squads better than the style now, but I like the size of the new ones. That's nitpicking though.

UI looks great, models and textures look great, sounds are great, animations are great and features are great. Awesome alpha update Offworld!

What's the best FOV for 1080p

Does a higher FOV require more computation power as more stuff are rendered?

fucking good....

man i love the new scopes

and lesser sway while prone

Why is the grip so far forward on the m4? (Nitpicking mode off)

What's the best FOV for 1080p

Does a higher FOV require more computation power as more stuff are rendered?

Im searching for this aswell. Will let you know when i find the answer. I just want a FOV thats CORRECT for 1920x1080(and yes there is a correct one only) and dosnt give me any fisheye view.

In the old squad build we actually had a bit of fish eye view even with the narrow fov as standard. (odd yes, but true)

If by "correct" FOV, you mean what's physically accurate, that depends only on the physical size of your monitor, and the distance at which you sit from it. Realistically when sitting at 1m from a 23" monitor, your FOV should be around 34° which would obviously be ridicilously small.  :) Just go with something that feels convenient for you. I'm running on a 23", 1080p monitor, and I usually prefer something between 98 and 108.

I'd guess that a wider fov does lead to slightly higher computation time. Physically, the same amount of pixels are rendered, but you will have more objects within the render frame. My intuition says this will lead to slower rendering. This is only a guess however, I'm not really familiar with how UE renders things, but I'd assume it's optimized quite a lot to cull out of screen space objects.

Im searching for this aswell. Will let you know when i find the answer. I just want a FOV thats CORRECT for 1920x1080(and yes there is a correct one only) and dosnt give me any fisheye view.

In the old squad build we actually had a bit of fish eye view even with the narrow fov as standard. (odd yes, but true)

good old reliable 90 is my preferred fov on every game. I can tolerate fov up to 100 before it gets too fisheye for me

I have. 24 inches monitor 1080p and ta 1m from it.

I will start at a fob value of 100

It's a very nice new breath of air. I love the new mechanics they've implemented and the tweaks and changes they made. I'd say it a big step in the right direction. 

It's a very nice new breath of air. I love the new mechanics they've implemented and the tweaks and changes they made. I'd say it a big step in the right direction. 

Was fun playing with ya, too bad we got our butts handed to us that round. My squad leading is a bit rusty heh

If by "correct" FOV, you mean what's physically accurate, that depends only on the physical size of your monitor, and the distance at which you sit from it. Realistically when sitting at 1m from a 23" monitor, your FOV should be around 34° which would obviously be ridicilously small.  :) Just go with something that feels convenient for you. I'm running on a 23", 1080p monitor, and I usually prefer something between 98 and 108.

I'd guess that a wider fov does lead to slightly higher computation time. Physically, the same amount of pixels are rendered, but you will have more objects within the render frame. My intuition says this will lead to slower rendering. This is only a guess however, I'm not really familiar with how UE renders things, but I'd assume it's optimized quite a lot to cull out of screen space objects.

I mean correct FOV where the image dosnt twist and streatch in each side of the screen(that is correct fov). FOV 90 in squad is fisheye view, its so odd cause is games like Battlefield 3 and other FPS i can use FOV 90 and wider and not have the image stretch in each side of the screen(fish eye view). I understand this depends on how the game calculates FOC, vertically or horisontal, none the less we have fish eye view with narrow fov(90 or what ever it may be calculated)

I made a demo video of the issue. Everything will be close at each side of the screen and furter away in the center of the screen, its not supposed to be like this, especially not with the narrow fov. This is FOV 90 is squad.

(i know its the old build, but its the exact same in v.2)

Without being an expert on this, i expect something fundemental is wrong here, since other games can provide wider fov and not give fisheye effect(forget the fov number, there are games with wider fov and no fisheye.)

I have. 24 inches monitor 1080p and ta 1m from it.

I will start at a fob value of 100

With fov 100 u get massive stretch and fisheye view, just look at how much closer things seems at the edge of the screen than i the center.

The distance you sit from the monitor dosnt matter when we talk "correct fov", correct FOV have zero image stretch.

So what settinh is the best for me ??

I would not go anywhere over FOV 90. Since you get a slighty twisted image at fov 90 already, increasing it only makes it look worse.

If you would want to change it, then go lower.

FOV is FOV independent of what you are doing, and AFAIK 95% of today's games define FOV as VFOV. It's in direct relation with your perspective projection matrix, which is based on the same mathematical projection in pretty much every FPS game that you play. You can not create a perspective projection to a flat surface without distortion, even a FOV of 1° will have distortion (albeit really really small). I believe it's pretty much impossible that BF4 would have less distortion than SQUAD on the same FOV.

Something that could be throwing you off is that most games are not true first person (unlike SQUAD). This means that some of the game elements, like your gun, are not rendered in the game word, but rather just slapped on top of your vision in a manner that results in the "traditional" fps look. If you check out this video for example, try putting something over the gun as he changes field of view. You'll notice that the gun does not change in size, or in perspective at all. Where as in squad, everything you see (that is not HUD) gets distorted correctly.

I haven't been able to play much over the past month, but when I got into my first full match with the update I had a better time than previously (not that it wasn't fun before). But that could just be because I was leading a really good squad who were communicating and working together.

I'm loving the new weapons and UI changes and if this is the style of update the Devs are going to be doing from now on, I'm bloody glad they're not rushing it.

But I heard that squad default FOV is 90, and people were complaining ....

FOV is really a thing you've got to figure out for yourself in terms of comfort. Experiment in single-player and see what you prefer.

But I heard that squad default FOV is 90, and people were complaining ....

Default is 90, and it does still have fish eye view effect. Guess this is something to be fixed.

Yes FOV is personal prefference, but the default FOV should be the correct one, correct by not having any screen stretch. Other FPS games can have default FOV with zero image stretch(fisheye) view.

From there on it should be op to the player to increase or decrease the FOV. I understand the default FOV in Squad can just be lowered to under 90 and the fisheye view seems to go away, but is this the right way to fix it ? As i see it FOV 90 seems lower than "normal" already compared to other games.(games that dont have fisheye view at standard FOV)

FOV is FOV independent of what you are doing, and AFAIK 95% of today's games define FOV as VFOV. It's in direct relation with your perspective projection matrix, which is based on the same mathematical projection in pretty much every FPS game that you play. You can not create a perspective projection to a flat surface without distortion, even a FOV of 1° will have distortion (albeit really really small). I believe it's pretty much impossible that BF4 would have less distortion than SQUAD on the same FOV.

Something that could be throwing you off is that most games are not true first person (unlike SQUAD). This means that some of the game elements, like your gun, are not rendered in the game word, but rather just slapped on top of your vision in a manner that results in the "traditional" fps look. If you check out this video for example, try putting something over the gun as he changes field of view. You'll notice that the gun does not change in size, or in perspective at all. Where as in squad, everything you see (that is not HUD) gets distorted correctly.

We can only test this. I still have BF3 installed, im sure there is a default there that is at least as wide as the one in squad but with zero image stretch...i remember there was a FOV calculater for BF where you could insert your resolutiuon and it would tell you the correct fov setting for no image stretch/fisheye view.