Personally I'd like it to be randomly generated with a low percentage due to its rarity in real life. For pilots there could be a higher percentage of it. I don't think it would be a good idea to have people pick their gender, as a battlefield of mostly women is just immersion breaking.

I think everyone just needs to check their privilege. HOHO HO TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLO HO HO HOHOHOHOHO

I think there will be more things depicted in the game that could cause offence to people than the fact females are not represented in front line combat roles.

Yes there are real life brave women that want to go into battle for their own personal reasons and I respect them for it but their numbers are few and to add female characters would make their inclusion disproportionate to real life.

If you include female characters and let players choose their gender you'll get guys choosing a female character for making fun of woman or have others mocking which would go completely against showing women the respect they should get.

If you make playing as a woman character a random event female players would still have to play mainly as a male so what are you really trying to achieve? Representing women on the front line, which as discussed, is a rare event.

I think it would be a great addition, the real world has women on the front line...why not put them in squad? :)

Question is do the factions depicted in game have them in Infantry units.

Largely the answer is absolutely no.

Yes...it's all fun and games until some wise ass makes a naked skin...then this shit happens!

Say hello to the rare "Conni" skin for Quake 3 ( i censored the naughty bits since there may be kids on the forums)

Connie%202%20EDIT.jpg

Connie%20EDIT.jpg

I know where i was when Conni first showed up. What do you think all the other players were doing?...the same thing as me because we were all demented perverts no doubt. Everyone stopped playing the darn PC game...a PC game where the object is to kill the other player, except...no-one wanted to kill Conni, we were too busy chasing her around to get the best hi res screenie...but that didn't stop Connie from killing you! ...such an unfair advantage. :(

from JO: "Mmm, Mm! Smell that cookin'" - was always an enjoyable emote.

i dont think it matters if Women are not in Infantry units, this is a game. any reason why not to add females?

i dont think it matters if Women are not in Infantry units, this is a game. any reason why not to add females?

There have already been suggestions in this thread as to why not so I'll leave it for you to look back.

There are probably loads of things that could be included in Squad as it's just a game but they're not based on reality and can also be used to cause offence.

How about. ......i dont think it matters if children are not in Infantry units, this is a game. any reason why not to add children? The're are sure to be under 18s playing the game so don't want to exclude them either.

Only want is they come with tactical bikinis and inflatable body-parts. For y'know. Realism.

In all honesty, I know a few women that might want to play and might/would appreciate a feminine character. That being said, they play Insurgency and havent mentioned once how oppressed they feel by the all-male cast of a tactical shooter simulation.

I don't think any female anywhere has equated not being in war games as a symbol of oppression, maybe only ever called out defenders of this practice for making silly appeals to tradition. It would just be cool to have females soldiers in though.

There have already been suggestions in this thread as to why not so I'll leave it for you to look back.

There are probably loads of things that could be included in Squad as it's just a game but they're not based on reality and can also be used to cause offence.

How about. ......i dont think it matters if children are not in Infantry units, this is a game. any reason why not to add children? The're are sure to be under 18s playing the game so don't want to exclude them either.

And dude, it's a legitimate question about female troops in-game. Don't have to be a sarcastic prick over it.

This game has the US Army. And as of this year, the US Army graduated women from ranger school...

There is no argument, they should be in the game.

http://www.businessinsider.com/first-women-to-earn-army-ranger-tab-2015-8

Having a Ranger tab != being deployed as a member of a Ranger Batallion AFAIK.

As for my stance on adding women, if they did it for relevant roles where women actually serve, and did it as randomly as they do existing character models, itd be fine.

They should be as common or rare as they are in infantry combat in real life.

In the end, for me, doesnt really matter.

As for my stance on adding women, if they did it for relevant roles where women actually serve, and did it as randomly as they do existing character models, itd be fine.

+1  

I fully agree with with what you have written here UnFrail.  Especially  when it comes to how rare the female player models should be in game. 

Someone figure out in what kind of infantry role there is the most amount of females and ta da! problem solved.

And dude, it's a legitimate question about female troops in-game. Don't have to be a sarcastic prick over it.

A little sarcasm doesn't warrant your response so calm down.

There are probably more children on the front line with insurgent forces than women so it was also a legitimate suggestion to included them. Not that many, myself included, would actually like there inclusion in a FPS game.

Just a FYI...

In 2013, the Pentagon announced it was lifting its formal ban on women in combat, a nod not only to gender equality but also to the de facto progression of women toward the front lines that had been going on for more than a decade, from Marine female engagement teams to the cultural support teams that accompany Rangers, Navy SEAL teams and other special operators on raids. Women even perform intelligence gathering and other tasks in SEAL Team 6’s top-secret Black Squadron.

“There have been women in combat since the wars kicked off,” said Sgt. First Class Frances Espinal-Teter, a female soldier assigned to observe the training here, who supports women in the infantry. She was deployed to Iraq a dozen years ago as a military police officer and top gunner in a Humvee, and later served alongside Marines and SEAL members in Afghanistan.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/us/women-in-army-ranger-school-move-a-step-closer-to-combat.html?_r=0

A little sarcasm doesn't warrant your response so calm down.

There are probably more children on the front line with insurgent forces than women so it was also a legitimate suggestion to included them. Not that many, myself included, would actually like there(their) inclusion in a FPS game.

i don't believe it was a legitimate suggestion at all - you simply used it in an attempt to belittle my input.

how do you know how many would for/against including female characters?

what about Females coming into this game? will they finally have the possibility of choosing a female character? or will they continue to have to put up with the usual male domination so prevalent in games?

i don't believe it was a legitimate suggestion at all - you simply used it in an attempt to belittle my input.

how do you know how many would for/against including female characters?

what about Females coming into this game? will they finally have the possibility of choosing a female character? or will they continue to have to put up with the usual male domination so prevalent in games?

No belittling intended, just discussion.

It has also been discussed further back in this thread about making it random so female players still couldn't choose to play as a female character anyway to stop guys from choosing to be female and ridiculing women in general.

If you read back you will see some of the comments here that will give an indication of how the female character will be treated in game by some. It will be funny, know doubt, but perhaps isn't how women would like to be represented.

Ok, this topic has run its course and nothing good will come from its present course.  Thanks to all for your input.