Iron

[SQUAD]Health & Fitness Thread

This thread inspired me to make a Squad/Project Reality workout session! stay tuned :D

If you don't have a soccer field nearby and road running is easier, alternate sprints and jogs from one telephone pole to the next, repeat until you puke.

I was in great shape up until Labor Day 2014 when I hurt my neck surfing, been a struggle to get back into upper body workouts, but indoor rock climbing is my full body workout, and I also ruck with a 20lb pack up and down a 1000 foot hill at least twice a week.

That reminds me of doing stadiums and hill sprints.  >.<  I'm not ashamed to say I've puked a few times.  LoL

oh please jesus no tabata! *pukes everywhere.*

Hahahaha .... Right!  Except I literally hate to run now so this is what I do.  

Nice thread! Maybe you guys can give me some tips. My flexibility is LAME, for example while standing up and keeping my back straight I can barely pass my knees with my hands (I can go like 7cm/ 3 inches below them) before it starts to hurt badly. Is there any way to become more flexible? Also it's very difficult to be consistent because it's painful (and it's not the kind of pain I enjoy).

Yoga!

KvIi45J.png

This above is the variation of Greyskull Linear Progression I have used.

This link below is the Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness variation on 5x5 Stronglifts

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I mix it up with trail running, hiking and rock climbing, 

I'm still out of shape because pizza and beer, but it keeps me going.

Only thing I would adjust here would be percentage changes from week to week progressively then deload on week 4.  :D

Eat,drink and do what you like,life is too short!.

this topic is LITERALLY about fitness, why even post this? lmao

I still drink Jack and eat a half gallon of ice cream in a sitting.   :rolleyes:   LoL!  Good thing I'm active.

For anyone wanting to know I do a 20 week cycle set in two blocks of 10 weeks.  First 10 is a offseason get my mind straight and focus on weak points in my lifts.  Second 10 weeks is to up the weight and prepare for the meet.  2 weeks on and deload on the 3rd.  Week 10 in the first block is a test of maxes and week 10 of second block is just for warm-ups(if not competing can be used to test maxes).  

I have been playing with the idea of switching to a DUP(Daily Undulating Periodization) but things are going well at the moment.  Other than being a bit chubby from bulking.  LoL!  :(

Short post in class right now. You want to concentrate on core exercises (crunches, leg lifts, mtn climbers, weighted crunches, planks, planks and more planks). If they are possible considering your injury.

When running, rotate some hill/wind sprints and track running. 10 hill sprints, roughly 100yards, is like running 5 miles. It increases your speed, leg strength as well as your breathing. It's a great anaerobic workout. Track running (there's an official name for can't think of it right now). Basically find a local high school track and rotate 1 jog lap with 1 sprint lap for 1-2 miles OR increase each lap time by a few seconds.

Don't run every day. Your muscles will need time to rebuild themselves and recover. Every other day seems to work the best, with your off days consisting of core workouts.

Since they went through my core basically, i can get 71 Sit ups in 2 minutes.

I suppose ill keep track of my progress ITT!

I started 2 weeks ago.

My fitness plan was laid out as follows: 8-10 months, lose 60 pounds of fat, put on 10 pounds of muscle and be able to easily hit the minimum PT requirements for my age (25) next year when I enlist for the U.S. Army

I'm 6'3'' and weighed 284 at the beginning. Current weight is 282 and im moving onto week 3 of training soon. Between physical training sessions I mainly do cardio on my own time at the gym.

m81erdl - you can DOOOOO it !

thanks man! ill take all the encouragement i can get.

tonight i hit the gym to run my first timed 2 miles in forever.

my first mile took me 10:38, my second mile took me 9:30. 

im looking to hit 7:00/mile, and then ultimately 6:00/mile.

currently moving into week 3 of training, 38 weeks to go.

I did that same exact thing before i enlisted ( many years ago) . I made the mistake of running in boots while self training - when i actually got to basic I was shocked to see them passing out running shoes because running in boots is bad for your feet, ankles, knees, legs, back, etc !

I am so out of shape, after going through our first pregnancy, I need to start Lifting. Like SOON too.

I did that same exact thing before i enlisted ( many years ago) . I made the mistake of running in boots while self training - when i actually got to basic I was shocked to see them passing out running shoes because running in boots is bad for your feet, ankles, knees, legs, back, etc !

ive got some really comfy nikes for that :)

I started 2 weeks ago.

My fitness plan was laid out as follows: 8-10 months, lose 60 pounds of fat, put on 10 pounds of muscle and be able to easily hit the minimum PT requirements for my age (25) next year when I enlist for the U.S. Army

I'm 6'3'' and weighed 284 at the beginning. Current weight is 282 and im moving onto week 3 of training soon. Between physical training sessions I mainly do cardio on my own time at the gym.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weight-rules.html Use this to check your height and weight, http://www.wiu.edu/coehs/military_science/physical_training/APFT%20Standards.htm and this for you APFT, Type of scores you need, if you score above a 250 you can get a OP40 and go to RASP, PM me if you want to learn where we do PT. you need a 60 that shows what you age group is for min, mine currently is 42 push ups (Easy) 50 (Very easy) 15:54 (Struggling)

Edited by wetblue13

I started 2 weeks ago.

thanks man! ill take all the encouragement i can get.

tonight i hit the gym to run my first timed 2 miles in forever.

my first mile took me 10:38, my second mile took me 9:30. 

im looking to hit 7:00/mile, and then ultimately 6:00/mile.

currently moving into week 3 of training, 38 weeks to go.

Have you adjusted your diet also?  Big key right there.   :P  We had to run 12:00 min two mile runs for football in highschool.  Never thought I had it in me but it was surprisingly easy.  Not sure I could run 200yds now.  Hahaha

ive got some really comfy nikes for that :)

Hahaha ... That's what I brought with me to bootcamp.  Thought it was great that we were able to use them to run.  Seems like I remember the Army and Marines following soon after.  

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weight-rules.html Use this to check your height and weight, http://www.wiu.edu/coehs/military_science/physical_training/APFT%20Standards.htm and this for you APFT, Type of scores you need, if you score above a 250 you can get a OP40 and go to RASP, PM me if you want to learn where we do PT. you need a 60 that shows what you age group is for min, mine currently is 42 push ups (Easy) 50 (Very easy) 15:54 (Struggling)

Used to be able to get a waiver if you were close.  Not sure it's even possible now since 9/11.  I've had a few friends get turned down from enlisting.

Have you adjusted your diet also?

its almost exclusively chicken, brown rice, eggs, broccoli and water at this point. along with real cranberry/cherry/pomegranate juice and the occasional peanut butter sandwich and glass of milk

i also hardly ever drink, dont smoke and dont endulge in illicit substances

You could go a step further and ditch the carbs and increase your fats.  takes a few weeks and sucks but its a pretty efficient way to shed fat.

Nice idea for a thread.  I cant help much with it because Im old, I smoke, I drink beer, rum, rye and scotch. 

Back when I was a much younger man though I played just about any team sport going.  I coached and was in pretty good shape.  Then I blew both knees and that pretty much finished sport activities. 

Wild Turkey Bourbon Rare Breed, Barrel proof. Thank me later..

Started my fitness training 3 weeks ago. Weighed 284.

Current weight is 277.8

Onto week 4.

Started my fitness training 3 weeks ago. Weighed 284.

Current weight is 277.8

Onto week 4.

Keep it up my shrinking broski!

(I never use that word and reading that sentence again, it now sounds dirty.)

I'm only 75kg for 184cm, I want to bulk up to 85kg then diet to 77kgs thanks to my 6-7 meals a day, hitting the gym 4 times a week Hd playing golf 2 times a week.

I'm only 75kg for 184cm, I want to bulk up to 85kg then diet to 77kgs thanks to my 6-7 meals a day, hitting the gym 4 times a week Hd playing golf 2 times a week.

Meals/ day doesn't really matter for progress, it's more important how much of what you eat in a week. 6-7 meals isn't very sustainable and might cost you in the long run because you simply won't have the time and dedication. Eat whatever fits your macros if you want to keep at it for a long time.

Meals/ day doesn't really matter for progress, it's more important how much of what you eat in a week. 6-7 meals isn't very sustainable and might cost you in the long run because you simply won't have the time and dedication. Eat whatever fits your macros if you want to keep at it for a long time.

6-7 small Meals is better for me, I'm never hungry or thirsty

"trained by 3 female" awesome

1 month ago i signed for gym i just go only 3 days ,

first day i run 5 km and  its my longest run ever in my life after finish run i get sick for 1 week

I knew this thread was somewhere! so little backstory after high school(2 years actually) decided i wanted to join the Air Force but needed to drop from 233 to 180 to join. So i got into a gym got a trainer and dropped all the weight :) unfortunately couldn't join the Air Force(ADHD-.-)  so my trainer said i should try BodyBuilding since he does it too, so I decided to do it. That was about 4 months ago unfortunately recent passings in the family have put bumps in the road but I plan on getting back on track monday :).

So got a question for everyone what's yalls motivations to stay on your diet? kinda curious on how other people stay on it. 

sorry for the long story btw