IRONXBAY   

Since Insurgency has been introduced as a game mode:

As the Insurgent team it is generally good practice to NOT place your only radios in close proximity to your caches. Caches already serve as spawn points and their player respawn times are faster than radios! I understand youd like to build emplacements near your cache but whats just as important is having multiple radios spread out throughout the map in order to more easily flank and harass the attacking team. Seriously, you have 9999 tickets as Insurgents right now. That may change down the road (in order to refine the game mode) but the fact of the matter is your caches are your one true objective. It doesnt matter if you lose a radio or two, just reposition and replace it with a new one. Keep the team up and running with tactically relevant spawn points (radios).

Nice Post

My 2cents

Have a Mic.

Many times as SL I may ask a team member to do something and they don't respond.  Communications is key to Winning the Day   If your new and don't have a mic, get one, or a headset with one.

If your nervous or shy about it - don't be,  you don't even have to talk a lot,  just simple acknowledgements like  "Copy", "Roger",  "Roger That" or whatever is easiest for you. 

I know I ask sometimes and I see the new guy (or not so new) respond to a command/request and start going in the direction I need them to, but not answer in comms that he heard me.  

Acknowledgement is important in two way communication and lets the Squad Lead know you at least heard him so he or she doesn't have to check his  or her map to see you are carrying out the orders.   Or repeat what he just said.

This is just good team play and can help keep chatter down.  Too often Squad Members don't respond to SL.  SO as the new guy, get off to a great start by being a good communicator, acknowledge  you heard the SL with a "COPY"

Next - if your SL asks for volunteers,  don't hesitate to pipe up and volunteer. It may be for the Side Mission, FOB building, or  Perimeter Defense support etc. 

It makes it easy for SL if a few squad members step up and perform some task he needs them to do,  besides, tagging a long with a smaller group, or buddying up to another player that can help you is a great way to learn.

Good Squad Leaders have a plan and have a good overview and sense of the Battlefield and what is happening and what needs to take place in order to win!

Some don't, sometimes you get stuck in a squad that may make you feel like your not engaging the enemy.  Give it time and ask if you have joined late - what the plan is.   

This squad may be in a support mode or other operative state that the SL see's as a factor in winning the day,   Stick it out for a bit.  

Not all Squads will always be engaged in a frontal assault with the enemy, so you may be in one of those.  they are none the less important. 

Sometimes if it is the Satelite Squads  dropping FOBs around the map so all the other squads  can spawn in.  ( I don't mean super FOB's - those only have a place in certain circumstances)  Or maybe you are defending a objective with no enemy in sight.  So  learn what the plan is. ASK!

Then if there deosn't seem to be one (a PLAN) and your off in "never never  land",  go to another squad who has good comms. 

The exception to this is if a new SL is taking the role- give them a chance- you may hear others trying to help them out.

RaulO4   

since this is a tip section, what tips can i get when it comes to squad? mostly what are the main difference between PR and this?

also i would like to know about the medic since its my number one class i love to play as.

The medic role is a little buggy still but it's being worked on. The best advice I could give someone is to open your ears while playing. People aren't communicating like in pre pre alpha which is a bit frustrating and makes the experience a whole lot less enjoyable.

If you're playing the medic role, try to hang back a few meters and play the supporting role. You'll be a lot more helpful to your team!

RaulO4   

The medic role is a little buggy still but it's being worked on. The best advice I could give someone is to open your ears while playing. People aren't communicating like in pre pre alpha which is a bit frustrating and makes the experience a whole lot less enjoyable.

If you're playing the medic role, try to hang back a few meters and play the supporting role. You'll be a lot more helpful to your team!

yea i do that in PR,

from the sounds of it, its like the same Medic system from PR? 

and item to rez, a item to heal?

...sadly the use of mic or communication will become harder to have once a game become easier to grab for the massive. hopefully when people start creating serves and the admin do there job to keep a good clean game im sure we will have a good squad. 

Bayerna   

Thanks, I`m a new on this forum, but this post serves as a good guide. The words "Don`t go into battle with only a few rounds in the mag" is a sanctum sanctorum)) as I always forget to change it and then when I start shouting I do not have ammunition..)))

Pmikey   

What makes a good squad member

Ask squad leader if you can do stuff.

Check your squad members to see what role they are playing (If everybody is rifleman, something is terribly wrong) 

STAY WITH SQUAD IN DESIGNATED POSITIONS! (Medics not in the front or first through the door, SAW in a place you can actually cover fire, etc) 

elerik   

- dont look same direction as everybody. Think about other directions and posible enemies position. 

- think that everytme your head fill enemies scope. Move in terrain with this in mind 

- dont rush action until you have some overview about situation around. May be you will jump in door which are under cover 

- dont be gay and just keep some spaces. Especialy in combat. Dont run with other guy, better cover him. And tell him that you want cover too. Cooperate with buddy closes to you. Couple is stronger than single and dont forget him back.

- if you are not sure that room is empty just through grenade inside. 

- dont expose your siluete. Think about your background. Destroy your siluet by bush behind you, Use your camouflage cleverly. 

- when squad get on edge of terrain. Stay in cover and dont be target. Enemies can see one guy. But if behind terrain wave is whole squad it could be surprise. Keep in secret how many of you are there. 

- when sombody from squad start shooting and tell direction. Dont move close to him and start shooting too. Take position 10 -20 meter from him calmly then start shoot. RPG or grenadier cant destroy you all in one shoot. 

- Dont run in column defaulty. At least run on wing with logic space. 

- staying in doors many times mean you are in line of fire sombody clever who stay in deep of coumpound with better overview. This guy has two options when enemies coming in. Shoot you in back or wait until you die. Be sure that you are not in line of fire. And if yes. find different efective defending cover place. 

- keep calm its game :)

blinger   

my biggest tip:

rebind your map keys to your mouse (if you have enough buttons). You'll be using your mouse so much that its pretty much imperative that its on a quick/easy to access button.

haha, unfortunately I can't personally do it.

When the Squad player-base was much smaller it all made sense. 'Tips for young players' is a saying that's used in some parts of the world to encompass new players, and players who's maturity within the game haven't developed yet.

Motofox   

Step 1: Find a good  squad leader (this can take time and patience and is really the deciding factor of your overall experience)

Step 2: open your map every 90 seconds and spot the BIG GREEN CIRCLE WITH YOUR SQUADS RESPECTIVE NUMERAL ON IT (its really not hard to find your squad leader if you try...)

Step 3: Make sure you are within 10-100m of your SL at all times possible (he needs you, and he has alot more to focus on than making sure you are not falling out of every engagement)

Step 4: Keep chat to a minimum, learn to use your compass at the bottom of the screen and callout contacts BEFORE you engage

Step 5: Open your map again, and maintain battlefield awareness (and check on your SL's position and situation)

Step 6: Maintain awareness of your SL's intentions (If step 1 has been completed, he should do this for you)

Step 7: Cover and concealment, never expose your movements (this shouldnt even be in this list, its common sense to most of us)

Step 8: do NOT smoke YOUR position, smoke is a mobile wall for obscuring vision, not a mobile dome shield. (make it so the enemy cannot see, not so YOU cannot see)

Step 9: Listen to gunfire, and observe the different types of sounds each weapon makes. You can use the sounds as indicators of enemy position and direction of fire.

Step 10: Open your map, and make sure you are still following your SL's movements to ensure youre not falling out of the squads maneuver (seriously, open your maps and maintain awareness)

Step 11: Dont let yourself get pinned down. suppression is fear and this is only a video game. DISENGAGE AND BREAK CONTACT means to "stop shooting and run" (your manpower is often more useful elsewhere, and all too often do i find myself begging guys to stop engaging wherever they may be and move with me)

Step 12: Single fire hits it target, Select fire scares its targets.

More to come, need more coffee now

-Sincerely,

A Dedicated Squad Leader

When playing medic. Keep local voice com going while healing so injured player knows they are being treated. Say something like "stay down..... I've got you.... Healing... Hold on...." it stops them despawning .

Might be a bit too obvious, but based on the sheer amount of people I met since the EA launch asking how to use the med-kit, the shovel etc. here's my #1 tip:

:ph34r: Read the manual.  :ph34r:

The manual contains all the information you need to know, to be an effective squad member starting with your very first round ingame. Having read the manual, you can concentrate on playing the game (instead of trying to figure out the game mode, controls, comms etc.) and will also experience self-efficacy and a lot less insecurity about what to do and how to do it. Simply put: If you know what you do and why you do it, it will make you feel better. It will also show others your investment and will motivate them in turn and lead to more respect. This makes the game a lot more enjoyable for yourself and your squadmates. Preparing yourself is also a direct advantage for yourself and your team, as it improves your efficiency: since you already read the basics in the manual, you won't have to ask the basic stuff ingame, thereby keeping comms clear and "wasting" no time. This frees your squad up to operate more effectively and you (and others around you) experience yourself as a competent, effective and motivated squad member.  B)

Remember though: Reading is only the basis, putting your new knowledge to use can be hard. There's still a bit of a learning curve, but you can learn more effectively if you are able to connect what you read with what you do ingame.

Tip: If 50+ pages seem to much to you to read in one go, read one chapter at a time. E.g. start with the medic system, if that is your main interest.

tl;dr: Invest time to read manual => play/learn more effectively, get more respect, have more fun

scall   

And maybe stay relaxed? So hard getting people to follow orders... I think half my squads get literally shell shocked and trapped in firefights that they could easily back out of... I might have to start telling my guys to turn down their FX volume at the start of the game (like I've done) because it's that bad :D

Hey lads,

As the title suggests,....

Depending on the type of 'mission', killing an enemy gives you 10 points. Taking an objective gives you 100. You do the math.

DON'T bunch up!

...on the type of "mission", killing an enemy gives you 10 points. Taking an objective gives you 100. You do the math.

DON'T bunch up!

Nice post. I'm new to the Squad world. This was one of the reasons why I invested in the game. Knowing that it focuses on objectives more than kills is great! PTFO!!

beomulf   

not sure if this has been said already, just one tip to make your medics life easier.

if you are down. dont respawn, that should be clear.

instead, open your map an search the nearest medic to you (the green dots with the black dot inside). call him out by name and also give him your name and location and info about if you are still under fire or enemies nearby. like: "hey medic XY, Newbie1337 needs revive 50m north-east of you. area is hot." 

it might be a bit strange talking about yourself in the third persona, but most likely the medic wont recognize your voice and it really helps him to find your exact location.

KTMR29   

Oft ignored, but vital:

You got a training range, USE IT to see how "good" you actually shoot. Especially with the Mauser sights down range.

saXoni   

A simple question, but of very much importance: Can players that are alive (not critically wounded or dead) read what a critically wounded or dead player writes in the chat? Also, what is the max range of local VOIP?

Para   

v= local = 20 meters

And yes dead players voice and text are visible. I think the voip should cut off when down, as it is kind of cheating.